Why Can't Canadians Make Good Whisky?

Toro

Senate Member
Seriously?

Canadian whisky sucks.

There's no reason for this. Canada has great growing conditions. It has a great climate. Yet, it's whiskies aren't very good.

I don't understand this.

I've gotten into scotch the past few years. This is my approved scotch list

Bruichladdich 16
Bunnahabhain 12
Clynelish Distillers Edition
Glendronach 18
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
MacAllan 12
MacAllan 15 (discontinued)
MacAllan 18
Oban 14

More will be on the way.

What Canadian whisky can even come close to this?

Canada is so awesome in so many things. Canadians make great beers. (And I'm talking Sleemans, Big Rock, etc., not cooking beers like Molsons and Labatts.) Why can't Canadians make decent whiskies?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I use to like scotch, then I drank an entire bottle one night.

Toro

Senate Member
Ugh!

Good whisky is not something to be abused!

You drink it slowly. You savour it! It's art in a glass!

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Don't tell that to Americans. They think it's great.

Got any idea how much work it took to get the market established during prohibition?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It's just alcohol, with some colour and some flavour. The secret to a good drinking experiences is to ignore taste and concentrate on the buzz. Scotch reminds me of varsol.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Which ones are you drinking?

Nice you see you around by the way Toro.

You came up in conversation recently :)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Canadian whisky sucks.

What???

Seriously now, that's the worse call I've seen all year. There are mega-tons of folks in New York, and some here in Gopherland, who drink Canadian whisky or rye exclusively.

CC, Lord Calvert, Crown Royal, and Seagram's are VERY popular. Next to Cutty Sark (Scotch), Seagram's was my dad's favorite.

Canadian whisky is good and well deserving of the many fans it has.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why would Canadians want to make booze from cheap a$s silage corn, potatoes or rubber boot and overalls?

Whiskey starts as rye mash vodka then is barrelled.

Whisky mash is garbage, it's the cheapest fermentable materials you can find and barrelled.

Rye is almost double the price of corn per bushel.

Basically whisky is garbage in and garbage out making liquor that equates to boat gas.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Seriously?

Canadian whisky sucks.

There's no reason for this. Canada has great growing conditions. It has a great climate. Yet, it's whiskies aren't very good.

I don't understand this.

Bruichladdich 16
Bunnahabhain 12
Glendronach 18
MacAllan 12
MacAllan 18
Oban 14

More will be on the way.

Canada is so awesome in so many things. Canadians make great beers. (And I'm talking Sleemans, Big Rock, etc., not cooking beers like Molsons and Labatts.) Why can't Canadians make decent whiskies?

Your problem is that you are swilling the government approved $hit. GO find some real whiskey.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Seriously?

Canadian whisky sucks.

I don't understand this.

Bruichladdich 16
Bunnahabhain 12
Glendronach 18
MacAllan 12
MacAllan 18
Oban 14

More will be on the way.

All of the aforementioned whiskeys are excellent representations, but what you'll really want to try is this:

Aberlour - A'Bunadh (cask strength is the best)

This whiskey is not the same as the rest that you listed (although the others are OK)

What???

Seriously now, that's the worse call I've seen all year. There are mega-tons of folks in New York, and some here in Gopherland, who drink Canadian whisky or rye exclusively.

CC, Lord Calvert, Crown Royal, and Seagram's are VERY popular. Next to Cutty Sark (Scotch), Seagram's was my dad's favorite.

Canadian whisky is good and well deserving of the many fans it has.

You're a good man gopher...... For a Democrat, that is.

You forgot one though....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What???

CC,

I grew up watching alcoholic relatives swill CC. I always thought it was up there with club brand beer for being cheap and nasty and catering to redneck booze hounds. I think it would take a lot for me to get past my childhood impressions of it.

All of the aforementioned whiskeys are excellent representations, but what you'll really want to try is this:

Aberlour - A'Bunadh (cask strength is the best)

This whiskey is not the same as the rest that you listed (although the others are OK)

I'll have to give the Aberlour a try but, Gibson's is a standby in my house.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I'll have to give the Aberlour a try but, Gibson's is a standby in my house.

You pay a premium for it, but it is tremendous... And don't forget to get the 'cask strength'. It looks almost cherry-like in color

Have one and then revert to your drink of choice (volume-style that is) and that bottle will last you 6+ months.

... Hope that you enjoy it

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Captain,

Since when am I a Democrat? ;)

Never tried Gibson's and am not sure it's available here in Gopherland. I don't drink anymore so I'll take your word that it is a goody. :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I wish I could drink rye.

The tannins and tartrazine from the barrels gives me an anaphylactic reaction that gives me wicked chest and throat muscle cramps that hurts like hell. They are in everything but vodka.

I'm a vodka man and I make my own that is freakin' incredible and extremely clean.

No hangovers from methanol, isopropyl, formaldehyde or turpentine like low the grade commercial swill sold in bottles that some people think is "good".

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I wish I could drink rye.

The tannins and tartrazine from the barrels gives me an anaphylactic reaction that gives me wicked chest and throat muscle cramps that hurts like hell. They are in everything but vodka.

I'm a vodka man and I make my own that is freakin' incredible and extremely clean.

No hangovers from methanol, isopropyl, formaldehyde or turpentine like low the grade commercial swill sold in bottles that some people think is "good".

I can drink wine no problem, but am increasingly 'asthmatic' from almost all other drinks, vodka worst of all.