I bought me a violin!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Crazy fool that I am. There are so many easier instruments to learn!

However, the violin has a few things going for it:

1. It's quite portable,
2. It's quite versatile, and
3. Heck, it just sounds good!

Anyway, I'd asked ahead of time how long it woudl take to establish a firm foundation. Most of those I'd asked were suggesting around 300 to 600 hours! Not what I wanted to hear but in the end, I had to go for it. Starting lessons in two weeks.

And to think I don't even know how to hold the thing and have forgotten how to read musical notes, it'll be an uphill climb all right. i just hope the 600 hour estimate was generous.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Are you sure you're not just fiddling around? ;)

For 300 to 600 hours, that'll be a lot of fiddlin'.

25 dollars per half hour, once a week, oh well.

But I'm leaning more towards classical than fiddle, but we'll see where it goes.

If a 4-year-old can do it, then by golly I'd better be able to do it too. Now you're puttin' me on teh spot! :)

This is true.
Also quite accurate.
Really depends on who's playing it.

Lol. Just kidding. Best of luck with your new violin.

I have heard that it's a finnicky instrument. Put your finger ever slightly off, and it changes the sound from heavenly to hellish!

Anyway, the neighbours should just be thankful it's not the bagpipes. violin is noisy, but there is far worse.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I have heard that it's a finnicky instrument. Put your finger ever slightly off, and it changes the sound from heavenly to hellish!

I've heard it can be a difficult instrument to play, but if you work hard and diligently you should do well.

Anyway, the neighbours should just be thankful it's not the bagpipes. violin is noisy, but there is far worse.
Ok, so pro tip. Open with that with the neighbours. As in "I just wanted to let you guys know that I've been thinking of getting some bagpipes......but then I ended up going with the violin." Sometimes it's all in how you say it. ;)

lol

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I've heard it can be a difficult instrument to play, but if you work hard and diligently you should do well.

Ok, so pro tip. Open with that with the neighbours. As in "I just wanted to let you guys know that I've been thinking of getting some bagpipes......but then I ended up going with the violin." Sometimes it's all in how you say it. ;)

lol

That's clever, actually. Or how about this:

"I was thinking of learning to play an instrument. Would you propose the bagpipe or the violin?"

That way by letting them suggest violin, they can't pin it on me afterwards.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
my neighbour in her 70's has taken up piano... it's amazing what it sounds like now...not so much at the beginning...lol If you aren't good at it you will quickly lose the desire for it and move on to something else so they won't suffer for long.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

1. It's quite portable,

Anyway, I'd asked ahead of time how long it woudl take to establish a firm foundation. Most of those I'd asked were suggesting around 300 to 600 hours! Not what I wanted to hear but in the end, I had to go for it. Starting lessons in two weeks.

And to think I don't even know how to hold the thing and have forgotten how to read musical notes, it'll be an uphill climb all right. i just hope the 600 hour estimate was generous.

The fingering is the easy part. Bowing will suck your blood. It's such a nuanced thing. Reading music is good. Having a good ear is better. Reading music will come back in two days.

When you master the fiddle, check out mandolin. lt's easy after fiddle.

So I'm told. Mostly by dufusses who can't play with their nuts.

Once you learn how to pick

Aw shilt, stick with the fiddle.

good luck to you, Machjo.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That's clever, actually. Or how about this:

"I was thinking of learning to play an instrument. Would you propose the bagpipe or the violin?"

That way by letting them suggest violin, they can't pin it on me afterwards.

Now you're cooking with gas! ;)

Or so I've heard.

You've heard huh?

I'm sure you've done more than 'heard'. Possibly even some mad skillz?

:D

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

1. It's quite portable,

If you are serious about it, buy the best instrument you can afford, it will serve as an incentive for you to apply yourself to learning plus an instrument that has a good sound makes you sound good faster.

Oh yes.....Practice in the garage.....unless you want to drive your partner nuts.....:lol:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
My parents both played it and I play it a little. It's a tough one to learn. It needs time, perseverance and patience. But it's a beautiful thing when you play something that sounds good.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Both my children are accomplished violinists. Enjoy the journey.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
This is my first video of the very first Bluegrass festival I attended in'98.
I had just finished a tune with the fiddler using his own vintage Gibson J55 acoustic guitar, which you see other people trying out later in the video. Since accompanying a fiddle with a guitar is not my forte, and my mandolin was in my trailer, I used my camera instead.....
The old gentlemen fiddler is from Timmins, two other musicians are from Iroquois Falls and the singer is from Markstay.
All strangers to me then, but got to be friends in the following years.
Music is a great vehicle for making friends.......

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hmmm... I was also thinking to maybe relearn the recorder on the side. By relearning an easier instrument along side the violin, it might be an easy way to learn the mor complicated concepts which I could then transfer to the violin. Of course the actual way to use the instrument is totally different, but reading music can't be much different for any instrument. Do re mi is do re mi for any instrument I'd immagine.

Some people might call such a strategy cheating, but if it works, why not. Any thoughts on this: learning an easier instrument alongside a more difficult one just to help out?