Moose migration may bring wolves

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
With moose venturing farther south in Saskatchewan come their natural predators - wolves.

"(The moose population has) expanded quite a bit in southern Saskatchewan over the last 20 years," said Gary Provencher, a conservation officer for the Ministry of Environment.

"From what we know, they've just wandered in from northern areas or areas like Cypress Hills and Moose Mountain where they've always been and they've found good areas of habitat and their population has expanded over the years."

The wolves may be following their food source.

"The main natural predator of moose is wolves and we're starting to get them showing up in southern Saskatchewan in the odd spot," he said.

Provencher said wolves have been seen in a couple of areas near Saskatoon and Swift Current, considerably farther south than they've been in the past.

"It's now quite possible that we might end up with more wolves in southern Saskatchewan, too," said Provencher.

At this point, there's little concern over wolves in the south, but if more wolf sightings occur, attempts to manage the population may need to be made.

Northern communities such as Hudson Bay and Nipawin have established bounties on wolves through local municipalities to manage the population.

Humans are the only other predators of moose in the south and hunting seasons have been established to help control the population. But in the area around Regina, establishing hunting seasons can be a bit of a challenge. High-calibre rifles aren't allowed, so hunters must use "primitive" weapons such as bows, crossbows and muzzle loaders.

"A lot of times they're not as effective as a big-game rifle," said Provencher.

A limited number of 100 moose are hunted in Zone 20, which encompasses Regina, Moose Jaw and much of the area south of the Qu'Appelle River.

"Last year it was 75, the year before it was 25, so it's increasing. We're trying to target our harvesting activities around the major urban areas where moose sometimes get into trouble," said Brad Tokaruk of the fish and wildlife branch in the Ministry of Environment.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
In what way? Enforced birth control? Plague? Nukes? Not enough geneticists around to create double blind trials in a timely fashion so...........
It was a rhetorical question. We think we can manage populations of other species as if we were the only important species on the planet. I say, let nature takes its course and stop trying to manage it. We are not anywhere near as important as we think we are.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
It was a rhetorical question. We think we can manage populations of other species as if we were the only important species on the planet. I say, let nature takes its course and stop trying to manage it. We are not anywhere near as important as we think we are.

Thats a good point we humans decides how much of each animal species there will be,by killing indiscriminitally,but when its time to control human overpopulation,we do nothing.
i thing it would be better to control birth cause as we see msny kids aren't wanted by their parents,and in some nation i won't name,they are run over by cars.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When are we going to start managing human populations?

Since population growth in canada is below replacement level I'd say your complaint is a bit groundless.

Nature would be for humans to hunt game as they see fit. Population management and conservation is a relatively new concept. Keep in mind, humans are naturally occurring animals too, and our desire to consume resources is just as justified as a moose's desire to.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I have seen about a dozen moose the last week in the 50 square kilometer stretch of prarie in eastern sask. but no wolves,lots of coyotes and quite a few cougars.*wink*

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Since population growth in canada is below replacement level I'd say your complaint is a bit groundless.

Nature would be for humans to hunt game as they see fit. Population management and conservation is a relatively new concept. Keep in mind, humans are naturally occurring animals too, and our desire to consume resources is just as justified as a moose's desire to.
Are we naturally occurring or are we a genetically engineered, introduced species? A moose does not desire, it's only instict is to eat and procreate, not consume the planet. Humans are like locusts. It not so much the size of our population as the voracity of our appetite to consume stuff we don't need.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O............I love titles like this:

Or...................maybe not.

Betcha folks in Newfie would love to see a buncha wolves. Meese down there regularly cause havoc on the heeways, what with falling on top of moving cars and killing the occupants.

Do moose form a herd before they stomp the shyte out of say, Regina? Or are they solitary predators?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
8O............I love titles like this:

Or...................maybe not.

Betcha folks in Newfie would love to see a buncha wolves. Meese down there regularly cause havoc on the heeways, what with falling on top of moving cars and killing the occupants.

Do moose form a herd before they stomp the shyte out of say, Regina? Or are they solitary predators?
I heard they pack up like polar bears.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How else but in a 'pack' could you get the equal to Reindeer games? Think human tossing toy and moose horns being a big right-hand. The wages are sent to their relatives if things don't work out that well for the contestant.

So are the moose being attracted to something or are they being chased. Once they both hit gopher country high speed chases will just mean a variety of meat for all scavengers. I cannot picture a slow-speed pursuit between those two species.

Anybody ever live long enough to say what moose-milk tastes like? Just in case they are mad-cow resistant they might have a future where the are in herds.

You could capture a calf and see if it is only the 'mother' that takes part in the 'rescue' effort. Not that the answer will be of any real value to you.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Probably walk right on by the territories as it isn't a Canadian flag at the top of the flag-pole.
Never happen unless the Rothschild floundation can't find a way to tax them. Did you mean gOOgle?

How about Moosehad, no need to contact them as they have already read this post

Last edited: