What does it mean to be Canadian?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A question from small dead animals:
http://smalldeadanimals.com/

Canajun, eh?

Any thoughts on this (BBC World television is running a series trying to explain us)?

Canada is anything but a homogenous Commonwealth state; nearly one million indigenous people rub shoulders with immigrants from around the world, including many from Asia. What does it mean to be Canadian now? What are the traits which help make up modern-day Canada?

In 2009, Hollywood actor Billy Bob Thornton, plugging his music on a radio show, seemed to be in a most undiplomatic mood. With apparent disdain, he dismissed his Canadian audiences as "mashed potatoes with no gravy".

"Oh, we've got some gravy up here as well," came the host's riposte, immediately turning him into a national hero. A beleaguered Thornton cancelled his tour and left the country.

The host had a point. This is, after all, the land of fries and cheese curds slathered in gravy, a French-Canadian classic called poutine. With mid-winter temperatures dipping to, say, -30.9C (-24F) in towns such as Yellowknife, it's a must. Canadians need food which sticks to their ribs.

'Difference is interesting' Defining this nation of six time zones is not easy. What could an English speaker in Vancouver possibly have in common with a francophone 3,000 miles (5,000 km) away in Quebec City? What, for that matter, could either have in common with a Gaelic speaker in easterly Nova Scotia? And, that's without taking into account the 200-plus ethnic groups across the land.

more..

BBC News - What does it mean to be Canadian?

related:

BBC News - Canada Direct

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Not interested in reading it, they will use every dated, trite, and hot button adjective to make a buck at our expense and laugh. Fuggem.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well I read through the first half of the link.... skimmed through the 2nd half.... Nothing really clear, a bunch of statistics, some comments on our relation to the monarchy, what Harper plans on doing.... and a tid bit of info towards the various cultures within Canada.

Was this just asking the question or were we supposed to be getting some kind of answer out of this link?

I'll just save us time:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
We as a people have been able to turn bitching into an art form. It crosses racial and
religious lines, We can be left or right or right in the middle of the political spectrum.
We can be young, old male or female. Hockey and complaining are the two things
that bring us together. All the achievements we contributed to the world cannot even
come close to our ability to complain and bitch about anything and everything.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I really dont understand how Canadians got an overly polite stereotype attached to us. Looking at this forum and having worked in the customer service industry I've found that we Canadians are just as bitchy as any other country.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
o.k. trolling..
It's good that you admit that. Now you should apologize to Loc.

Isn't Tim Hortons open yet in your area... ?? Sounds like you need your morning coffee..
Tim Horton's coffee is for the uncouth, with the palate of a pig, who have no idea what real coffee should taste like. I'm sure you're very impressed by it.

Grumpy old bear...
1, I'm never grumpy. 2, You're older than I am.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Tim Horton's coffee is for the uncouth, with the palate of a pig, who have no
idea what real coffee should taste like. I'm sure you're very impressed by
it.
Why is it Colombian products always get stepped on making a low grade volume product?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It's good that you admit that. Now you should apologize to Loc.

Wow trying to turn my comment back on me... I had my morning caffeine.. Coke Cola ;-) Breakfast of champions.

Tim Horton's coffee is for the uncouth, with the palate of a pig, who have no idea what real coffee should taste like. I'm sure you're very impressed by it.

I don't drink coffee, never have and never will.. no thanks.

1, I'm never grumpy. 2, You're older than I am.

:-(

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Why is it Colombian products always get stepped on making a low grade volume product?
Because people don't know any better, and are willing to patronize an establishment based solely on hype, as apposed to quality.

Although I prefer Mexican and Jamaican beans myself.

Not to sound snobbish, because it really isn't expensive or high class, but I prefer to patronize non franchise establishments that have barrista's behind the counter. For a few cents more, you can have a cup of coffee, that actually tastes like coffee, and not that swill Tim Horton's passes of as coffee. Chosen, blended and made by an owner that has a well defined palate for good coffee.

Wow trying to turn my comment back on me...
I didn't try.

I had my morning caffeine.. Coke Cola
I'm not surprised.

I don't drink coffee, never have and never will.. no thanks.
It would be better for you than that crap you drink.

It's ok, you've been wrong lots of times.