Few Foods Are More Canadian Than Butter Tarts

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Been exploring the food scene along the Sea To Sky corridor and rediscovering a childhood delight-none other than the iconic Butter Tart

I say iconic with an ironic twist of course-this is about Canadian Culture after all-but the fact is that the Butter Tart means a lot to a lot of people here-from sea to freezing sea.

Some recent examples

From the exquisite/classic and altogether entrancing Sunflower Bakery Cafe in Squamish a large somewhat plain looking example of the genre-but an outstanding pastry and full of flavour.

The lovely little cafe @ Adventure Centre in Squamish features an outstanding tart-quite like the one my Mother made in fact with Raisins included-pastry suffers a bit from being frozen though.

From Pure Bread Bakery in Function Junction in Whistler comes a smashing example of the genre with everything done right- a dainty pastry and a smooth scrumptious filling.

What are Butter Tarts like where you live?

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
No matter where i go Butter Tarts are mostly just toooo good! My teeth that are left hurt just thinking of them :-(

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I like my mom's homemade ones the best. Either regular or with raisins in them! Yummmmm!:)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
are the butter tart bars similar to the ones in the pastry?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No it's not. When you boil the meat off the bones and hocks off of pork it's what is skimmed off the top or "head" of the pot. The cartilage isn't as dense as the water and rises to the top when it cools. What you are thinking is like saying the head on a beer is brains.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario