U.S. chooses new nuclear warhead

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
‘NOT ABOUT STARTING NEW ARMS RACE’ Design is touted as being more robust with features to safeguard against theft
H. JOSEF HEBERT ASSOCIATED PRESS​
WASHINGTON – The Bush administration yesterday selected a design for a new generation of nuclear warheads, taking a major step toward building the first new nuclear weapon since the end of the Cold War nearly two decades ago.

The military and the Energy Department selected a design developed by the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California over a competing design by the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico.

The decision to move ahead with the warhead, which eventually would replace the existing arsenal of weapons, has been criticized as sending the wrong signal to the world at a time when the United States is assailing attempts at nuclear weapons development in North Korea and Iran and striving to contain them.

But military and Energy Department officials said the new U.S. warhead will not add to the nuclear arsenal, but replace existing warheads with ones that are safer and more reliable.

“This is not about starting a new arms race,” said Thomas D’Agostino, acting head of the National Nuclear Security Administration, an arm of the Energy Department that oversees the nuclear weapons programs.

D’Agostino said that both the Los Alamos and Lawrence Livermore designs were contingent on not requiring nuclear testing. If tests were required in a design, “We were not going to go forward,” he said.

D’Agostino said that engineers over the next year will focus on developing cost estimates and defining the scope of the program and a schedule for its development. After that, decisions will be made on actually building the warhead.

The warhead has been the focus of an intense competition between Los Alamos and Lawrence Livermore, the government’s two premier nuclear weapons labs.

The two facilities submitted separate designs nearly a year ago. Lawrence Livermore’s design is based on a warhead actually tested in an underground detonation in the 1980s. Los Alamos had a design based on a fresh approach that has not undergone testing.

One of the assurances given by defence officials to Congress is that the new warhead will not have to undergo actual testing. Once developed, it would be used in the Trident missiles on submarines and eventually would replace warheads on the air force’s missile arsenal, officials said.

Administration officials, including the military, have argued that today’s aging warheads are harder to maintain and, as they age, it will become more difficult to ensure their reliability.

The new design is advertised as being more robust with additional features to safeguard against possible theft or misuse.

Of overriding concern to members of Congress has been that the warhead be developed without the need for underground tests.

The administration has sought to assure Congress that the design would not require such testing.

The administration also argues that a phasing out of current warheads with the more modern design will allow additional reductions in the number of warheads that will be needed.

The decision establishes a clear blueprint for designing the new warhead, officials said. A final go-ahead is expected to be made by the president within two years, with the first warheads to be completed by 2012.

It has not been determined how much the program will cost. The administration asked Congress for $119 million U.S. for the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1 to push ahead with further design work.

http://digital.montrealgazette.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
The USA is waiting for a World War, and when it happens they'll blow the living daylights out of their enemies and rein victorius as our worlds noble and respectful super-power.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ahhahahaa, that's funny shyte.

Waiting for war, to blow up the world and rein as ruler =/= noble and respectful.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I am glad I live 2 hours away from Minot Military Base in North Dakota.

They got some of the USAs most top secret missle launch areas in that city.

I am 100% serious, when I drive down there, you don't know what prairie field could be holding the top-secret missles.

Minot also has air force base.

I feel safe near the USA, because they are such a super-power that no nation wants to get on their bad side and feel their wrath.

Last edited:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Move there then if it's so great.

Not doing so won't make your mom upset, she will be able to rent the basement out to someone who has a job and pays rent.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I am glad I live 2 hours away from Minot Military Base in North Dakota.

They got some of the USAs most top secret missle launch areas in that city.

I am 100% serious, when I drive down there, you don't know what prairie field could be holding the top-secret missles.
And it's probably a prime target if anyone decides to nuke the States. Um, nuke explosions emit EMPs which fry pretty much anything electrical. AFBs and missile sites like to use lots and lots of electrical technology. Add this info together and you get .......? You can carry a medium yield nuke in a suitcase these days.

Minot also has air force base.

I feel safe near the USA, because they are such a super-power that no nation wants to get on their bad side and feel their wrath.

I honestly feel, the USA should invade and colonize Canada as new states in the USA, towards the USA spreading its morale elctorate throughout the world.

Don't doubt me, as oil, water and other natural resources become more valuable, the USA will find a reason to force Canada into colonizing into the states.
Geeeeeeeeeeee, that talk sounds an awful lot like treason. Um, that's a criminal offense, BTW. http://www.canlii.org/ca/sta/c-46/sec46.html

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
West, your comments to me border on treasonous. But your comments contain an interesting notion. How would Canadians respond in said situtation? Likely there wouldn't be suicide bombers, but I can tell you I wouldn't stand for it, I'd join the resistance in a heartbeat.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No worries if westmanguy can convince the authorities that westy is in fact a woman. I think a shrued lawyer could get her off on a tech with the last few lines of the law. Can anyone esle see what I am referring to?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yeah, it is an interesting concept. I think I could cause invaders a fair pile of grief as a sniper and/or a guerilla (maybe even as a gorilla, too :D). I'm sure we could turn a few Asian gangs loose on em.

Yeah, that'd be a really honorable thing to do: invade a more-or-less friendly neighbor. :roll: grow up.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
No worries if westmanguy can convince the authorities that westy is in fact a woman. I think a shrued lawyer could get her off on a tech with the last few lines of the law. Can anyone esle see what I am referring to?

Maybe at the beginning of the criminal justice act somewhere or in an amendment it states what is meant be "he", otherwise woman are safe under this law. Probably due to the fact that woman weren't people under the law when treason was popular.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
It sure looks as if they are getting ready for something big. Any guesses?

"Do as I say not as I do!" sort of fitting.