problem with the new reputation button

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
It seems when you hover above it it says "add to align='s reputation" instead of something along the lines of "add to hermanntrude's reputation", for instance

Reactions: Andem

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
A quick note: I've changed around the settings for calculating reputation. Note, the longer you are registered and the more posts you have, the more reputation power you have. This is a great tool for the community as it makes it easier for moderators and community members to spot trouble makers and to know who's been around for a while.

Please use reputation when you can! If you see a bad post, disapprove; if you see a great post, approve! You may also leave anonymous feedback to the person you're giving the reputation.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
A quick note: I've changed around the settings for calculating reputation. Note, the longer you are registered and the more posts you have, the more reputation power you have. This is a great tool for the community as it makes it easier for moderators and community members to spot trouble makers and to know who's been around for a while.

Please use reputation when you can! If you see a bad post, disapprove; if you see a great post, approve! You may also leave anonymous feedback to the person you're giving the reputation.

Sounds like a popularity contest to me. Personally I hope that noone would give me or take away brownie points at all. But thats my preference.

Reactions: Nuggler and karrie

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hmmm, I'd never noticed reputation before. I don't mean to sound jaded, but, it seems a bit like a possible popularity contest. I can just see the poor person who ends up the only one debating their side in an argument, watching their reputation start plummetting as anyone who disagrees rates their posts as bad, no matter how well thought out and diplomatic it was.

Reactions: Nuggler

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Hmmm, I'd never noticed reputation before. I don't mean to sound jaded, but, it seems a bit like a possible popularity contest. I can just see the poor person who ends up the only one debating their side in an argument, watching their reputation start plummetting as anyone who disagrees rates their posts as bad, no matter how well thought out and diplomatic it was.

Looking back, I agree with you somewhat.. but we're all adults here (mostly) and credit is usually given where credit is due. One can't go back and forth giving and taking reputation, by the way. There are limitations on who many times you can give or take from anyone.

I'll keep this under an eye and review it again next month. Let's see where this goes.

PS. It's not a popularity contest. You gain more reputation power the longer you've been here and the more posts you have.

Last edited:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i refer you to Andem's comments above.

Personally i dont feel any problems with a personality contest as long as that's what it's labelled as. When a new member arrives for instance, it's good for them to know at a glance whether they are talking to a fellow newbie or someone who's been around a while.

in response to karrie's posts, not andem's. probably should have quoted, sorry

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Looking back, I agree with you somewhat.. but we're all adults here (mostly) and credit is usually given where credit is due. One can't go back and forth giving and taking reputation, by the way. There are limitations on who many times you can give or take from anyone.

I'll keep this under an eye and review it again next month. Let's see where this goes.

PS. It's not a popularity contest. You gain more power the longer you've been here and the more posts you have.

that sounds reasonable Andem. I was going to ask next, how personal votes are weighted against number of posts and length of membership. I assumed you weren't putting all the onus strictly on the input of other members.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia

PS. It's not a popularity contest. You gain more power the longer you've been here and the more posts you have.

That sounds fair.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Well, think about it: You've posted 5000 messages and have been a member since August 2004. You're more likely to be a fair-minded person since a) you're still around and b) you have not been banned.

By the way, I removed the registration date from the post-bits.
(this message is a post bit).

>>>
Now can we have a "non-christian forum??? Huh pretty please, pretty please with sugar on it?
(My Mom always said I was a pushy git)

We have a non-Christian forum! It's called Faith DIscussion.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Well, think about it: You've posted 5000 messages and have been a member since August 2004. You're more likely to be a fair-minded person since a) you're still around and b) you have not been banned.

By the way, I removed the registration date from the post-bits.
(this message is a post bit).

>>>
Now can we have a "non-christian forum??? Huh pretty please, pretty please with sugar on it?
(My Mom always said I was a pushy git)

We have a non-Christian forum! It's called Faith DIscussion.

*Sigh*

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I would hope someone would not find themselves banned due to member votes alone. But I guess a mod would probably step in before that happened. As 'self' stated I think it will be fair by the sounds of things.