Board Spammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Hello everyone!

I'd like to let everyone know that there are members from within our own community who have tried to split the board membership up because there were some rules instated by the member-elected board of directors which were not bent for some long-time members.

We do not make exceptions for enforcing the forum guidelines, not for board members and not for anybody else. We want a safe place to come and talk without having to become defensive or driven away just because of your personal opinions.

We'd like to keep the membership intact, so we're asking you to report any spam you may get from members inviting you to a "replacement" Canadian Content forum.

A lot of work goes into this site, and we keep it ad-free and totally free of cost so people can share opinions. Please help us keep the site clean and safe.

Thank you!
Administrator

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hi! Andem

I joined that newly opened forum you refer to. Not because I dislike this place and the people here ..... not that I will not be posting here .... but because it is another Canadian forum.

I hope the newly formed bulletin board succeeds. I wish 10 thousand others would do the same. The more Canadian boards up and running .... the more opportunity we got of meeting other Canadians.

I belong to two other forums .... one American soldiers forum and another Canadian forum operated by TV Ontario and now, this new one which just opened.

I see your point though ..... kind of chintzy to use the private message center, here, at this forum as an advertising gimmick.

Calm

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
It is nice to be back, and I hope to stay this time. If I am correct, there are a couple who used to be regulars on this forum, who have now opened another site. I tried to get on that site, and was promptly banned right after registration. No posts, no PMs, no nothing. I suspect who was the instigator.

Andem, if you have any problems with me, please let me know. But do not ban me totally out of hand. Thanks. BA

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
I never received any spam. If I remember right Andem ( & I do) you were posting on the CKA site ( a few months ago) trying to increase your membership . The basis of any free society is choice.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Board Spammers

zenfisher said:
I never received any spam. If I remember right Andem ( & I do) you were posting on the CKA site ( a few months ago) trying to increase your membership . The basis of any free society is choice.

Yes, I did post in the "Canadian Web Sites" forum. Of course thats the right channel on that web site and it's allowed. Using emails collected as a moderator to advertise a new site is not.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
MMMike said:
:( No one has spammed me, or invited me to another site. I almost feel offended. :wink:

Awww MMMike ... I'll spam ya! ;) And you can spam me ... since I wasn't invited either.

(no coffee yet ... fixed typos)

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Andem, I don't know you, and I don't actually know anyone else on this BB. I have not been solicited for participation in any other forum, although I have been a moderator for 10 years on a totally unrelated subject.

What I like about you, is that you do not put yourself above the rest of us. That is, what applies to us, will therefore apply to you.
When you called me ignorant, I spoke back to you. But, you took it on the chin, and you kept on plugging away. You didn't snap back, you didn't ban me - rather, you just blew it off. Best thing to do in some cases. High five.

Percy

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
I never got a PM from this board asking me to join another. I would want to make that
clear.

Is a board like a box of Cheerios? We eat the same breakfast each morning because we have grown used to it? Or do we sometimes venture out to a Pancake House and taste another flavour?

I'm here because of the personalities and not because who owns the board. I could care less who funishes the tools. It's the product that turns my crank.

Calm

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Paranoid Dot Calm said:
I never got a PM from this board asking me to join another. I would want to make that
clear.

Is a board like a box of Cheerios? We eat the same breakfast each morning because we have grown used to it? Or do we sometimes venture out to a Pancake House and taste another flavour?

I'm here because of the personalities and not because who owns the board. I could care less who funishes the tools. It's the product that turns my crank.

Calm

hear :!: hear. :!:

Let me ask this. Is it not ok to encourage people that one has gotten to "know" in another forum to come to this one ??......particularly when this one is so much better. ??? It cuts both ways. Many people enjoy several forums.....because each has a different group of people, different style, different "personality" as .Calm says.....and so what?? Seems to me that is the privilege of having a computer. It is also a choice. Like all choices it might be handled with some discretion and good taste and follow the rules of each forum .

Have a suspicion that this goes a little deeper than what meets the eye and feelings might have been offended. (just a guess, mind you... )

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
May I suggest that a policy be enacted where

(a) A Member of the Board shall have the right to make reference to foreign Boards or to suggest that they take up Membership therein;

(b) Any reference made pursuant to Section (a) shall not include any statement, or statements, that would refer to this Board in a derogatory manner, or in a manner that would otherwise compromise the reputation of this Board.

Just a suggestion. There's nothing wrong, in my opinion, with referring to, and even suggesting membership with other boards, so long as they do not try to insult or advocate against Canadian Content in the progress.

:!: Edit Corrected two typos.
:!: Edit Note: Then again, I'm not a Moderator or an Administrator. lol

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

FiveParadox said:
May I suggest that a policy be enacted where

(a) A Member of the Board shall have the right to make reference to foreign Boards or to suggest that they take up Membership therein;

(b) Any reference made pursuant to to Section (a) shall not include any statement, or statements, that would refer to this Board in a derogatory manner, or in a manner that would otherwise compromise the reputation of this Board.

Just a suggestion. There's nothing wrong, in my opinion, with referring to, and even suggesting membership with other boards, so long as they do not try to insult or advocate against Canadian Content in the progress.

:!: Edit Corrected a typo.
:!: Edit Note: Then again, I'm not a Moderator or an Administrator. lol

that makes sense.Five. Likewise , people coming from another board........(no matter how destructive, or counter productive it was) would be well advised not to condemn it on this one. It leaves a nasty taste on this board and this board is not a "complaint depot." The aim being member integrity... :)

Would like to see more input and ideas as to how this can be handled EFFECTIVELY without emotional reactivity.

(like your thinking Five. You present ideas for solutions without adding to the problem.

(back to the old cliche........."ya part of the solution or part of the problem".??? :wink:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
One should never assume to know all the details and what prompts an administrator to do what they felt was in the best interest of THEIR board.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I was not contesting the reasoning of the Administrators, nor was I contesting their unequivocal ownership of this Board. I was simply suggesting that a general guideline be put in place; Administrators are, and forever shall be in my opinion, the final arbiters of matters of Board policy.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I think not said:
One should never assume to know all the details and what prompts an administrator to do what they felt was in the best interest of THEIR board.

who is making "assumptions" about anything here???

sheesh. A member offers some valuable ideas.......and they should be heard. Whether they are acted on ......will be the decision of the Administrator of the board. But input never hurt.........(CONSTRUCTIVE imput)

Let's hear YOUR ideas.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
By the way, Welcome Back "I think not". !!!

I feel like I gotta say "I Think So" because you might
think I think not and because when referencing
your handle at the end of a sentence seems to indicate
a refutation of the preceding words, I think not.

See what trouble you cause ?
See what I mean ?

Anyway welcome back.

And as far as the rules concerning advertising
other boards --- I think the biggest strength of this
board is its activity, and its personalities.

That should be its greatest protection and
relax any worries about advertising other alien boards.

IMHO.

May confusion riddle us all happily in any
cyber Tower of Babel building.

Huh ?

Whaa ?

Anyway, this is a pretty decent board. It's visual
design happily avoids clutter, its people are interesting,
and its activity is better than many others.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto

jimmoyer said:
And as far as the rules concerning advertising
other boards --- I think the biggest strength of this
board is its activity, and its personalities.

That should be its greatest protection and
relax any worries about advertising other alien boards.

IMHO.

Couldn't agree more. Am saddened to see a number of 'old', and prolific members move on. I have to wonder what would make them leave after all this time. Of course everyone has to play by the rules, but as jim says above, the strength of this board is its personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.