Why lock the threads?

NickFun

Electoral Member
I notice the thread "Iran President: Charge Bush for War Crimes" has been locked. Why? If people don't want to participate in a thread they don't have to. The reason seems to be that other threads were devoted to this topic but this had a slightly different perspective. Is Freedom of Speech being stifled here?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Nick Fun said:
I notice the thread "Iran President: Charge Bush for War Crimes" has been locked. Why? If people don't want to participate in a thread they don't have to. The reason seems to be that other threads were devoted to this topic but this had a slightly different perspective. Is Freedom of Speech being stifled here?

Nick and anybody else concerned about this: We've had a proliferation of threads on the same subjects lately. Iraq is one of those subjects. The forums are getting cluttered and threads are getting lost in that clutter.

As a result, the Board of Directors has asked the moderators to try to limit the number of threads on the same subject.

This does not limit freedom of speech. You can still make the same post in a thread with the same subject. It arguably makes it more likely that you voice will be heard because there are fewer threads for others to sift through.

This kind of thing puts the mods in a tough spot because they have to make a judgement call. They do a good job overall though, and if you have a problem with what they've done you can always appeal it to the Board.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I fecking new this was going to happen board of directors throwing their weight around :p :p Fecking starting to look like a bunch of police state nazis :lol: :lol: :p