Should we lock the Canadian Dollar with the U.S.?

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
Today on April 1. 2010 the Canadian dollar drew within a penny of parity with the U.S. dollar as strong manufacturing data boosted hopes for a global economic recovery.

The Canadian currency has gained 25 per cent against the U.S. dollar in the past year and 22 per cent against the euro. It rose against most other major global currencies.

Taken from the speech from the throne:

“Let’s talk about the economic times we find ourselves in. You know, businesses may invest, governments may budget soundly, workers may toil, generations may perform the labours of Hercules, yet, sometimes, fortune is fickle. Just as the rain falls on the good and the bad alike so the floodwaters of recession have risen across the globe, and that includes Canada. Which doesn’t, by the way, mean our efforts had been for naught.

“Regulation and oversight of the financial system — the cause of the global crisis — was, in Canada, prudent and effective. According to the World Economic Forum, the International Monetary Fund and numerous other experts, Canada has the soundest banking sector in the world. Canada has avoided the failures of financial institutions and the vast bailouts of taxpayer money that have been necessary in so many other countries. Availability and cost of credit, while they have tightened over the recession, have begun to improve more significantly and more quickly in Canada than in most other places.

“We kept an eye on the mortgage industry. We made prudent changes to the rules to avoid the real estate bubbles that caused so much damage elsewhere in the world. And, now, in Canada, our housing sector, where the recession was lightly felt, is well into recovery. Here, our fiscal fundamentals were sound.

“Canada entered the recession with the lowest debt level of any country in the G-7, and this level dropped as we were paying down the debt. It allowed us to dramatically and permanently reduce business, personal and consumption taxes during the early phases of the global downturn. And, as a consequence, it delayed the onset of the recession in Canada until after virtually every other developed country. It also enabled us to undertake recovery measures on an extraordinary basis, in lock-step with all our fellow G-20 economies, but without imposing a needless burden on future generations. In fact, it has allowed us to produce one of the largest, most comprehensive and most effective stimulus packages in the world, while keeping our deficit and debt levels in Canada to a fraction of what they are elsewhere.

So, should Canada lock it's Dollar with the U.S. on the foreign trade table considering that the U.S. and Canada are allready #1 trading partners with each other?

And can Canada trust the U.S. to go all in with the world when it comes to import and export?

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
Canada has demonstrated that it can equal the U.S. financially on the trading table. The bad news is that if the U.S. falls into a recession it will drag Canada down with it. The good news is that the U.S. Dollar ain't that shabby to begin with.

When two countries go into a joint venture with their money both are relying on each other for maintaining fair market value of their export to keep the Dollar competetive with the world.

And when we deal with import both benefit from each other anyway since Canada and the U.S. are major trading partners.

If you are wondering why I am asking if Canada should lock with the U.S. and not lets say the GBP, is simply because the GBP is worth too much and prices would be too high in Canada. But if we did it with the U.S. you probably wouldn't notice the difference since we keep reaching parity with one another.

So what we will accomplish is saving that extra 10-25 cents on the exchange rate we keep doing with the U.S. which in the big picture is billions that can go to lowering taxes and oil prices in Canada.

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
Realistically, if Canada decided to do this, you might see a temporary instant raise in taxes at first to cover the extra 1-2 pennies with the U.S., but when the market opens the next day you might see the benefits of Billions saved pouring in which will then now allow taxes to again be lowered and force a positive gain against the U.S. dollar.

I think it's Canada's best excuse (maybe only excuse) to raise export tax with the U.S. and the world without offending foreign policy on fair market value.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Probably not a good idea for one reason only and that it Canada would be the junior partner in such an arrangement and would be subject to US monetary policies. Considering how poorly the US runs its economy that might not be a good idea.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Mexico and America should adopt the Canadian dollar as it's currency for the illusion of a stable currency.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I disagree with pinning one national currency to another, simply because if the other decides to inflate its currency, we must then inflate ours too. Instead, how about pinning it to something a little more stable like gold? A good example is this:

Islamic gold dinar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interestingly enough, this coin has no official or status whatsoever, and is simply minted privately. Yet, if someone wanted to buy something from me with that coin, I'd have no qualms about trading for it based on its gold value.You can't get much more stable a currency than that, can you?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
So, should Canada lock it's Dollar with the U.S. on the foreign trade table considering that the U.S. and Canada are allready #1 trading partners with each other?
No.

And can Canada trust the U.S. to go all in with the world when it comes to import and export?
Canada can trust the USA to do exactly what it thinks is good for the USA. That's about it. If the USA is of aid to any other country it is incidental or accidental and certainly only occasional.

A low buck is good for exporters, and a high buck is good for importers.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
By pegging Canadian dollar to US dollar, I assume you mean lock it up at parity, one US $ = 1 Can $. If you are going to lock it up like that, why have Canadian dollar at all? What us its purpose? We may as well use US dollar as the currency here in Canada.

Which I think is bad idea. If we do that, our monetary policy is decided by USA we don’t have any say in the matter. We must have an independent currency, one which reflects the economic health of Canada, not the economic health of USA.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
By pegging Canadian dollar to US dollar, I assume you mean lock it up at parity, one US $ = 1 Can $. If you are going to lock it up like that, why have Canadian dollar at all? What us its purpose? We may as well use US dollar as the currency here in Canada.

Which I think is bad idea. If we do that, our monetary policy is decided by USA we don’t have any say in the matter. We must have an independent currency, one which reflects the economic health of Canada, not the economic health of USA.

I agree that adoptingthe US dollar would e a bad idea. However, adopting a common international currency shared between Canada and another country would be a good idea. for example, the idea of some kind of Amero would certainly help to eliminate constant currency fluctuations between us and our neighbours.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Today on April 1. 2010 the Canadian dollar drew within a penny of parity with the U.S. dollar as strong manufacturing data boosted hopes for a global economic recovery.

The Canadian currency has gained 25 per cent against the U.S. dollar in the past year and 22 per cent against the euro. It rose against most other major global currencies.

Taken from the speech from the throne:

“Let’s talk about the economic times we find ourselves in. You know, businesses may invest, governments may budget soundly, workers may toil, generations may perform the labours of Hercules, yet, sometimes, fortune is fickle. Just as the rain falls on the good and the bad alike so the floodwaters of recession have risen across the globe, and that includes Canada. Which doesn’t, by the way, mean our efforts had been for naught.

“Regulation and oversight of the financial system — the cause of the global crisis — was, in Canada, prudent and effective. According to the World Economic Forum, the International Monetary Fund and numerous other experts, Canada has the soundest banking sector in the world. Canada has avoided the failures of financial institutions and the vast bailouts of taxpayer money that have been necessary in so many other countries. Availability and cost of credit, while they have tightened over the recession, have begun to improve more significantly and more quickly in Canada than in most other places.

“We kept an eye on the mortgage industry. We made prudent changes to the rules to avoid the real estate bubbles that caused so much damage elsewhere in the world. And, now, in Canada, our housing sector, where the recession was lightly felt, is well into recovery. Here, our fiscal fundamentals were sound.

“Canada entered the recession with the lowest debt level of any country in the G-7, and this level dropped as we were paying down the debt. It allowed us to dramatically and permanently reduce business, personal and consumption taxes during the early phases of the global downturn. And, as a consequence, it delayed the onset of the recession in Canada until after virtually every other developed country. It also enabled us to undertake recovery measures on an extraordinary basis, in lock-step with all our fellow G-20 economies, but without imposing a needless burden on future generations. In fact, it has allowed us to produce one of the largest, most comprehensive and most effective stimulus packages in the world, while keeping our deficit and debt levels in Canada to a fraction of what they are elsewhere.

Nope- our dollar will soon be worth more than theirs.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I agree that adoptingthe US dollar would e a bad idea. However, adopting a common international currency shared between Canada and another country would be a good idea. for example, the idea of some kind of Amero would certainly help to eliminate constant currency fluctuations between us and our neighbours.
Amero? I like Canabuck better. :D

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

The problem with that is that in any American union, voice of USA will predominate over that of Canada (and Mexico). It will be American economy that will decide the course of Amero (that is an ugly name if there ever was one).

Euro works because it is settled by EEC, where no one country predominates. There are smaller and bigger countries, but no one country is much bigger than others, like it would be in any American union.

I would much rather Canada adopts the Euro, rather than go into a coalition with USA for a common currency. Keeping the Canadian dollar is the best option, though.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The problem with that is that in any American union, voice of USA will predominate over that of Canada (and Mexico). It will be American economy that will decide the course of Amero (that is an ugly name if there ever was one).

A simple solution to the problem of US domination is to ensure enough countries are involved so as to not have any majority. For example, a common North American or even Pan-American currency.

Euro works because it is settled by EEC, where no one country predominates. There are smaller and bigger countries, but no one country is much bigger than others, like it would be in any American union.

That I could agree with. Certainly sharing a common currency with the US would be far more useful to Canada than sharing one with the EU, assuming of course that enough countries were involved so as to not have one country dominate the currency. Should that no be possible, then even to simply have Canada adopt the Euro would also be beneficial. It would not necessarily improve trade between Canada and the US (though it would not hurt it in the least either), but it would improve trade between Canada and the EU at least. So, seeing that it would benefit trade between Canada and the EU without any negative impact on trade between Canada and the US, it would still be worthwhile.

I would much rather Canada adopts the Euro, rather than go into a coalition with USA for a common currency. Keeping the Canadian dollar is the best option, though.

I work with different currencies about 5 days a week, mostly between US and Canadian dollars, and it's a boring redundant task, a waste of time, and just a plain pain in the butt, with all the currencies fluctuating every day too. It sure as hell would make my job easier.:smile:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
But isn't everything computerized these days? Then why would currency conversion be such a problem?

Yes, a computer does that work. Bear in mind though, that it doesn't do all of it automatically. As I'm busy doing a hundred and one other things, I must copy the Canadian price into memory, go to the conversion box, paste it in there, type in the three letter code for the currency I'm converting from (lucky for me, the 'convert-to field auto populates to CAD and I seldom need to change that part), and press the enter key, copy the new price in CAD, paste it in the original box to replace the price in the other currency, and then continue on with my work. In all, this process will likely take about 10 to 15 seconds. Multiply that by sometimes over thirty times a day, that that comes up to anywhere from 300 to 450 seconds . So that could be more than 7 minutes a day wasted on currency conversion, not to mention the increased risk of error. Though I've never made an error on that front yet, the risk is always there, and it's just a matter of time before it does. An added issue is simply enjoyment of work. Work can be fun minus the redundant parts, and converting currencies, though easy, is boring, redundant, repetitive, and as such, is just a pointless and unnecessary irritation.