Somebodys looted our treasury?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Conservative MP Rob Merrifield responds to a question about the Royal Canadian Mint during Question Period in the House of Commons on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Tuesday June 9, 2009. (Adrian Wyld / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Programming error explains Mint's missing gold

Updated Wed. Jun. 10 2009 5:27 PM ET
The Canadian Press
OTTAWA -- Something as banal as a possible programming glitch in a new computer system could explain how the Royal Canadian Mint lost track of gold stockpiles, the institution's chairman says.
Mint officials are asking whether any of the programming "which tracks all this stuff was out of whack," James Love said Wednesday in an interview.
"It's still possible that it is some sort of a programming error in that system."
Reports of missing gold at the mint conjure up images of thieves sliding pallets of gleaming ingots out the back door.
But there may be a less swashbuckling explanation for a discrepancy between the value of the precious metals on the books and the stockpile at Ottawa headquarters.
The mint has asked the RCMP to help account for th

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I suppose it could be a computer problem but I'm confident no I'm not confident I'm hopefull that the mounties will get thier **** together for this national disgrace and get my metal back in it's vault sans fingerprints.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
has it been found yet? a few years ago it was discovered that the Australian gov had sold off all of the countries gold reserves, without informing the public prior to the sale. and wouldnt say who bought it, either. The same may have happened to your gold reserves as well.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
a discrepancy between the value of the precious metals on the books and the stockpile at Ottawa headquarters.
Sounds like serious bull**** to me. Gold isn't left to computers to track nor is it stored or tracked by value. How ****ing stupid do they think.....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It was Harper trying to pay down some of Flaherty's deficit.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
How exactly does one pay down a deficit?

You make everyone pay more Income Tax to pay the debt.

You create a situation where there is more Tax Money generated by sales of Goods & Services to people and more Income Tax collected due to higher wages.

You cut services to the people.

You cut wages accross the board and put a stop to all Bonuses.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You make everyone pay more Income Tax to pay the debt.

You create a situation where there is more Tax Money generated by sales of Goods & Services to people and more Income Tax collected due to higher wages.

You cut services to the people.

You cut wages accross the board and put a stop to all Bonuses.

No. That is how you would pay down a debt. To eliminate a deficit one must acquire more revenue or cut spending in the current fiscal year.