Should burial plots be given a renewable 70-year lease?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
In big cities, yes. They do that in Europe. Out in the countryside, not necessary.

Way out in the countryside on that quiet concession road three lines over in that old maple bush by the little stream that ... oh, never mind.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In big cities, yes. They do that in Europe. Out in the countryside, not necessary.

Way out in the countryside on that quiet concession road three lines over in that old maple bush by the little stream that ... oh, never mind.

According to the link, in parts of Europe, it's a 15-yer lease, enough to rot the flesh off of the bones.

I was thinking though that since moving the body during the lifetime of an immediate relative (parent or child for example) might offend that relative, we could make it long enough to ensure that that person has passed away first. On that front, maybe even double the 70-year lease to a 140-year lease just to be sure.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
**** you can't even afford to croak anymore. There's a sh*tload of open land out there what's the fukkin problem. Money grubbing scoundrels all of us.

In the countryside, yes, but not in the cities.

Honestly, I could go for a fifteen-year lease myself.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How's a gawd damn corpse gonna renew his lease. LOL.:).

In Eastern Europe it's a fifteen-year lease that immediate family members can renew indefinitely.

I think that's actually reasonable. As long as immediate relatives or friends or anyone else wants to renew my lease so they can come to mourn at my grave, by all means have at her.

Once the fifteen-years is up..."Hey Fido. Here Fido. Fido wanna bone?"