Why free trade and a carbon tax should go hand in hand.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Dairy industry getting help to compete, not compensation, for EU trade deal - Politics - CBC News

The government wants to help the dairy industry adjust to free trade in CETA by providing some funding.

I think shifting to a carbon tax would be a solution.

There are many differences between a carbon tax and a tariff. One difference in international trade is as follows.

Wheras tariffs can harm the environment by encouraging Montreal to trade with Vancouver instead of NYC or Seattle with NYC instead of Vancouver, a carbon tax encourages localization. So it would encourage Montreal to trade more with NYC and Seatle with Vancouver for example. This in turn not only helps the environment but local business too.

Another difference us that a tariff stops at the border with minimal effect internally. A carbon tax would encourage Vancouver to trade more with Victoria BC rather than Halifax, and Halifax to trade more with cities in the Naritimes rather than Vancouver. A tariff would gave no effect on internal trade.

So while tariffs promote inefficiencies, a carbon tax promotes efficiencies.

I think Canada and the EU should promote free trade and carbon taxes. The best product could still be exported at the vest price, but only after calculating the impact on resources into the cost.

Another difference is that whereas tariffs are beggar thy neighbour, carbon taxes are reciprocal. Carbon taxes try to keep imports out, but a carbon tax raises the cost both on long distance imports and exports, so it's more fair. It's just based on resources consumed.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How much carbon do cows produce and how much per ton do you propose charging for milk?

Animal products and biproducts should be taxed too along with extracted non-rebewable resources, but taxed at on the breeder end. However, scrap all business taxes and income taxes, maybe introduce a moderate wealth tax, and scrap any value added tax like the GST and HST and unilaterally scrap all tariffs.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Maybe a 1/3 tax on gross profit on non-rebewable resource extracting and animal husbandry businesses.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
You are not going to tax me for my carbon,you can take my secret weapon outta my cold dead paws. I recounted.

forelegs, two off, propellants, aquatic mamal, good to eat as well, they say

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Hydrof-ckingcarbon.

The God Hydrof-ckingcarbon, it's Majesty Hydrof-ckingcarbon,

Our lord of hot water.

Jesus was annointed with oil. Oil is a gift frum God.

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
If your talking dairy surely you jest, they enjoy supply management like no other industry on the globe, they have their MP on speed dial just in case some little thing disquites them. Talking carbon around livestock stake holders is a bad idea, cap and trade methane would not plz any businessman dealing in livestock.
Oddly wallonias' beef with ceta was beef and dairy, appears brussels bent enough to satify their concerns and here the price of milk will simply soar yet again.