Pot Could Outsell Booze In Canada

tay
The Deloitte report — titled Recreational Marijuana: Insights and Opportunities — being released soon concludes that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s legalization of cannabis next year could jolt the economy.

“There hasn’t been anything like this — and granted it wasn’t legislated — but you think of the dot-com … flurry,” Mark Whitmore, vice-chair of Deloitte, said in an interview Wednesday.

“It has that kind of feel to it. There’s a lot of froth, a lot of interest in this space and a lot of people think there’s going to be an opportunity,” said Whitmore.

Deloitte estimates that satisfying the recreational weed market will mean producing 600,000 kilograms of marijuana annually — far more than the existing 36 licensed producers (external - login to view) grow for medicinal purposes.

In partnership with RIWI Corp., Deloitte surveyed 5,000 Canadians this past summer — including 1,000 identified as recreational marijuana users — and calculated that the base retail market alone would be worth $4.9 billion to $8.7 billion annually.

The ancillary market — growers, infused product makers, testing labs, and security — would increase that to between $12.7 billion to $22.6 billion.

With tourism revenue, business taxes, licence fees and paraphernalia, Deloitte estimates the market will be even greater than $22.6 billion.

Whitmore said the firm has not calculated federal and provincial taxes or determined precisely how many jobs could be created.

“As we look at this recreational space, it could be a significant opportunity for both Canadian businesses and governments in terms of what they have to do,” he said.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...try-study.html

MHz
+2
And probably result in fewer medical bills (treating the ill-effects of booze on the body) and fewer traffic accidents.

Curious Cdn
+3
What a shame. Booze can do you great harm, granted but pot smoking makes you stupid.

tay
+1
Ughhh.... Yesterday while driving I turned on one of the Toronto talk shows and the host was 'what about the children' suggesting accidental pot eating cases have skyrocketed in Colorado.

She offered no numbers to back up her claim and didn't bother to mention how many kids eat prescription drugs, which was the reason for 'child proof caps'.

The host actually seemed clueless on the whole discussion which I found disturbing and left me wondering if she was just pandering for calls or really that naive......

Tecumsehsbones
Good. Alcohol is dangerous.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Good. Alcohol is dangerous.

So is pot. I'm watching a pot smoker near to me right now deteriorating rapidly. It is dangerous in its own way.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

So is pot. I'm watching a pot smoker near to me right now deteriorating rapidly. It is dangerous in its own way.

So is water.

Far as your bud (pun intended) goes, think of it as evolution in action.

Curious Cdn

So is water.

Far as your bud (pun intended) goes, think of it as evolution in action.

I'll remember that the next time some poor Cree kid up north dies while sniffing gasolene.

Tecumsehsbones

I'll remember that the next time some poor Cree kid up north dies while sniffing gasolene.

Perfect example. Even more stark. Poorly adapted to European diseases and chemicals, the Americans were all but wiped out in perhaps the most thorough genocide since the Neanderthals.

Curious Cdn

Perfect example. Even more stark. Poorly adapted to European diseases and chemicals, the Americans were all but wiped out in perhaps the most thorough genocide since the Neanderthals.

There are no Beothuk around to tell their story. At least a bit of Neadenderthal survived in our genome.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

There are no Beothuk around to tell their story. At least a bit of Neadenderthal survived in our genome.

I'm sure Ugg and Ogg would be comforted by that. If they were alive.

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Ughhh.... Yesterday while driving I turned on one of the Toronto talk shows and the host was 'what about the children' suggesting accidental pot eating cases have skyrocketed in Colorado.

She offered no numbers to back up her claim and didn't bother to mention how many kids eat prescription drugs, which was the reason for 'child proof caps'.

The host actually seemed clueless on the whole discussion which I found disturbing and left me wondering if she was just pandering for calls or really that naive......

Some people really are that stupid.

It won't be pot causing the problem. Unless he is allergic to it.

Danbones
one lung full of Oxygen di Hydride and you are dead, and it's everywhere
why isn't that stuff banned?

booze is a nasty chemical, prolly shouldn't be legal even for cars

lone wolf
+2

What a shame. Booze can do you great harm, granted but pot smoking makes you stupid.

Ya think being a drunk is intelligent?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

When you're drunk it does.

MHz

You don't smoke pot so how would you know what effects it would have on you. Perhaps a real laugh after decades of a constant frown.

You have had a few haven't you??

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Take your pills.

MHz
Take you 2nd bottle, the 1st one didn't make you any smarter.

Machjo
+1
Alcohol, marijuana, and lottery tickets are important sources of government revenue. We need to make them available in each grocery store as part of the basic food groups. Scratching a lottery ticket gives the hand muscles a workout. Lifting a beer bottle is good for the biceps. I imagine smoking bud is good for something too.

MHz
Try one and then you can re-post your thoughts about pot.

lone wolf
+4
#21  Top Rated Post
Yes.... It make us more tolerant of fools

Ludlow
Booze, pot what difference does it make as long as you can warp ye brains. Wanna get high, wanna get high,,wanna get high?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Booze, pot what difference does it make as long as you can warp ye brains. Wanna get high, wanna get high,,wanna get high?

Go for a run or work hard and create your own cannabinoids for free.

Machjo
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Try one and then you can re-post your thoughts about pot.

I'm not that stupid. Since the government is pushing alcohol, tobacco and marijuana already, why not legalize fentanyl too? Good source of revenue there.

The government could probably make a killing on heroin too. Just sell it next to the tobacco at the grocery store. But remember, you have to be 18+ to get it.

Johnnny
+1
If this surprises you then you might be an alien!!!!

Johnnny
+1
If this surprises you then you might be an alien!!!!

Remington1
Smoke is harmful to lungs, I don't think anybody disputes that fact, so is tobacco & wood burning. Weed contains some of the same carcinogens as tobacco, so, so much for all the millions that the governemnt have spent convincing us to stop smoking and imposing their rule on tobacco companies, maybe Tobacco companies need to take the government to court!! Research shows that it's also bad for you immune system. But for me, I believe that pot has a medicinal purpose and a recreation purpose for those who choose to smoke. It should not be a cash grab however, we should be allowed to plant our weed, the governments' decision to grow and sell it, is disgusting. One more thing, I would rather deal with a someone stone, than someone drunk.

Ludlow
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Remington1View Post

Smoke is harmful to lungs, I don't think anybody disputes that fact, so is tobacco & wood burning. Weed contains some of the same carcinogens as tobacco, so, so much for all the millions that the governemnt have spent convincing us to stop smoking and imposing their rule on tobacco companies, maybe Tobacco companies need to take the government to court!! Research shows that it's also bad for you immune system. But for me, I believe that pot has a medicinal purpose and a recreation purpose for those who choose to smoke. It should not be a cash grab however, we should be allowed to plant our weed, the governments' decision to grow and sell it, is disgusting. One more thing, I would rather deal with a someone stone, than someone drunk.

Talking to a dunken sot is like talking with a slobbering , stumblin, bumblin idiot. Talking with a stoner is like talking with a rock.

Curious Cdn

It's an either/or?

You either smoke pot until you get stupid or drink until you get stupid?

You must live upstairs at the Malamute Saloon.

lone wolf

It's an either/or?

You either smoke pot until you get stupid or drink until you get stupid?

You must live upstairs at the Malamute Saloon.

Read it however you want. You're the naval grazer

Curious Cdn

In a day or two, you are more or less normal (depending on your starting point) but pot smoking makes you irreversibly stupid. It is quite damaging. I'm not surprised that heavy pot smokers don't notice it happening to themselves.

Read it however you want. You're the naval grazer

Nope. I was a Stoker and I never held any binoculars for an instant.