Pot Could Outsell Booze In Canada

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The Deloitte report — titled Recreational Marijuana: Insights and Opportunities — being released soon concludes that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s legalization of cannabis next year could jolt the economy.

“There hasn’t been anything like this — and granted it wasn’t legislated — but you think of the dot-com … flurry,” Mark Whitmore, vice-chair of Deloitte, said in an interview Wednesday.

“It has that kind of feel to it. There’s a lot of froth, a lot of interest in this space and a lot of people think there’s going to be an opportunity,” said Whitmore.

Deloitte estimates that satisfying the recreational weed market will mean producing 600,000 kilograms of marijuana annually — far more than the existing 36 licensed producers grow for medicinal purposes.

In partnership with RIWI Corp., Deloitte surveyed 5,000 Canadians this past summer — including 1,000 identified as recreational marijuana users — and calculated that the base retail market alone would be worth $4.9 billion to $8.7 billion annually.

The ancillary market — growers, infused product makers, testing labs, and security — would increase that to between $12.7 billion to $22.6 billion.

With tourism revenue, business taxes, licence fees and paraphernalia, Deloitte estimates the market will be even greater than $22.6 billion.

Whitmore said the firm has not calculated federal and provincial taxes or determined precisely how many jobs could be created.

“As we look at this recreational space, it could be a significant opportunity for both Canadian businesses and governments in terms of what they have to do,” he said.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...onal-weed-could-be-a-226b-industry-study.html

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
And probably result in fewer medical bills (treating the ill-effects of booze on the body) and fewer traffic accidents.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Ughhh.... Yesterday while driving I turned on one of the Toronto talk shows and the host was 'what about the children' suggesting accidental pot eating cases have skyrocketed in Colorado.

She offered no numbers to back up her claim and didn't bother to mention how many kids eat prescription drugs, which was the reason for 'child proof caps'.

The host actually seemed clueless on the whole discussion which I found disturbing and left me wondering if she was just pandering for calls or really that naive......

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'll remember that the next time some poor Cree kid up north dies while sniffing gasolene.
Perfect example. Even more stark. Poorly adapted to European diseases and chemicals, the Americans were all but wiped out in perhaps the most thorough genocide since the Neanderthals.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Perfect example. Even more stark. Poorly adapted to European diseases and chemicals, the Americans were all but wiped out in perhaps the most thorough genocide since the Neanderthals.

There are no Beothuk around to tell their story. At least a bit of Neadenderthal survived in our genome.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Ughhh.... Yesterday while driving I turned on one of the Toronto talk shows and the host was 'what about the children' suggesting accidental pot eating cases have skyrocketed in Colorado.

She offered no numbers to back up her claim and didn't bother to mention how many kids eat prescription drugs, which was the reason for 'child proof caps'.

The host actually seemed clueless on the whole discussion which I found disturbing and left me wondering if she was just pandering for calls or really that naive......

Some people really are that stupid.

So is pot. I'm watching a pot smoker near to me right now deteriorating rapidly. It is dangerous in its own way.

It won't be pot causing the problem. Unless he is allergic to it.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
one lung full of Oxygen di Hydride and you are dead, and it's everywhere
why isn't that stuff banned?

booze is a nasty chemical, prolly shouldn't be legal even for cars

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Alcohol, marijuana, and lottery tickets are important sources of government revenue. We need to make them available in each grocery store as part of the basic food groups. Scratching a lottery ticket gives the hand muscles a workout. Lifting a beer bottle is good for the biceps. I imagine smoking bud is good for something too.