Carrier AC Moving To Mexico

tay
Two subsidiaries of Farmington-based United Technologies Corp. (external - login to view) are shutting heating and ventilating parts manufacturing plants in Indiana, eliminating more than 2,000 jobs as operations move to Mexico.

Carrier, a manufacturer of heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration, said it will relocate its Indianapolis manufacturing operations to a site near its manufacturing plants in Monterrey, Mexico, over three years beginning in 2017.

Chris Nelson, president of heating, ventilating and air-conditioning systems and services in North America, said the move is intended to address the continued migration of the industry, including suppliers and competitors, to Mexico. He also cited cost and pricing pressures caused partly by new regulations

"This decision is difficult and we recognize the impact on employees, their families and the community," he said.

About 1,400 jobs in the area will be lost. Headquarters and engineering offices will continue to be staffed by about 300 employees.

In a video posted on a local TV news report and YouTube, workers respond angrily as they are informed of the decision by an unidentified company official.

Chief Executive Officer Greg Hayes said the economy is uncertain, but U.S. economic growth has a "relatively solid...

United Technologies Corp. on Wednesday posted a 4.5 percent drop in revenue in last year's fourth quarter, partly blaming a strong dollar that's weakened overseas sales and earnings.

The proposal is subject to discussions with union representatives. An official of the United Steelworkers (external - login to view) did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

United Technologies Electronic Controls, a manufacturer of microprocessor-based controls for the heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and refrigeration industry, also announced it will relocate its Huntington, Ind., manufacturing work. About 700 local jobs will be eliminated over two years beginning in 2017 when operations also move to Monterrey, Mexico, to be closer to "key customers."
Its headquarters and organizations for engineering and product marketing will remain in the Huntington area.

"This plan is intended to address the challenges we continue to face in a rapidly changing industry, with a continued and steady migration" of equipment manufacturing customers and competitors to northern Mexico, said Alex Housten, managing director at United Technologies Electronic Controls.

UTEC designs and manufactures microprocessor-based controls for heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration. The company also makes thermostats and zoning systems.

Indianapolis Mayor Joseph Hogsett established a task force to "identify and investigate any and all previous or current economic incentives" to Carrier from local, state or federal agencies. The task force also is charged with finding assistance programs for workers losing their jobs.

Carrier received $197,816 in training grants in 2013 and United Technologies received $182,500 in similar assistance in 2010, said Abby Gras, spokeswoman for the Indiana Economic Development Corp. The agency is getting information on the companies' compliance with jobs requirements and will seek to recapture money if necessary, she said.

Carrier To Close Indiana Plants, Move Jobs to Mexico - Hartford Courant (external - login to view)

bill barilko
Mexico's economy has been growing @ a rate of 4%-5% for over thirty years-that's why this company is going with a winner.

Do you like the look of all those Mercedes Sprinter vans you see swanning around?

Tradesmen use them, limo companies use them hell even the police use them-they're Made in Mexico where quality vehicles have been produced since the 1930's.

eh1eh
Why didn't Trump stop these jobs from being stolen by the Mexicans?

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Are you suggesting he might be all talk?

Ludlow
Corporations will increase their profit margin at all costs, including employee interests. Mexicans work cheap and probably without benefits . That's the way it is. The good news however, is the availability of more onion picker jobs south of the border for any Americans interested in learning agriculture.

Trump is in to real estate. He ain't in office yet.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Are you suggesting he might be all talk?

lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Corporations will increase their profit margin at all costs, including employee interests. Mexicans work cheap and probably without benefits . That's the way it is. The good news however, is the availability of more onion picker jobs south of the border for any Americans interested in learning agriculture.

Trump is in to real estate. He ain't in office yet.

He still claims all the 'Merican jobs were 'stolen'. Turns out they were given away by rich guys like him.

darkbeaver
Thanks to progressive continental agreements like NAFTA Fortress North America enjoys the highest standard of living in the world. It's people are healthy and all have great jobs and excellent educations, there is no crime or hunger and everyone enjoys the holyest diversity imaginable.

Where are the old time revolutionarys when we need them. What's the fukkin Tea Party doing? The Black Panther Pussies?The New Confederate Army? Someone has to free America from slavery?

Scooby
Boycott.

Curious Cdn
Yup.

Boycott air conditioning.

darkbeaver
+1
#10  Top Rated Post
I hate hearing about all the people getting layoffs, especially in winter.

Ludlow

lol.

He still claims all the 'Merican jobs were 'stolen'. Turns out they were given away by rich guys like him.

Politicians are well known for talking out both sides of their azzes. Real Estate moguls like Trump, who got started with help from his wealthy father, buy low and sell high. Higher than what it's worth. It's all about feathering ones own nest, boosting one own ego and creating some fvcked up idea about legacy . There is nothing to look up to here. I once asked a Lady years ago why she thought the world was so messed up. Her reply to me was, "everyone doin their own thing". I believed her then and still believe her today. It's the way people are.

bill barilko

Corporations will increase their profit margin at all costs, including employee interests. Mexicans work cheap and probably without benefits....

Not at all those factory jobs will be relatively well paid with full benefits and the company still saves money.

Mexican companies are famously generous did you know the company does your taxes each year for free?

And they pay for burial plots as well.

If you'd ever been to Mexico/spoke the language you wouldn't be nearly so ignorant and embarrass yourself here so regularly.

darkbeaver
A mechanic I worked with is still down there, he says it's great not all over but

B00Mer

Maybe when he is President he can... he will then have the power to ditch NAFTA and tell Mexico and Canada to go pound sand.

Ludlow
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Not at all those factory jobs will be relatively well paid with full benefits and the company still saves money.

Mexican companies are famously generous did you know the company does your taxes each year for free?

And they pay for burial plots as well.

If you'd ever been to Mexico/spoke the language you wouldn't be nearly so ignorant and embarrass yourself here so regularly.

I'll tell that to my friend and former co worker Jesus who is from Mexico and obviously a liar according to you. . And after I tell Jesus I'll let Pablo know your sentiments as well since you are the Canadian expert on Mexican affairs.

Pablo being an ex coyote who brought several to the states so they could feed their families. It should be clear to many who the idiot is here. Good going Billy boy.

Maybe stick to managing rock bands ,,another of your careers when you are not busy doing brain surgery and rocket science.

darkbeaver
So we're al agreed to have a good time, we will have to work together, some one of us must arrange a mrrting, that's code for meeting

Ludlow
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

I hate hearing about all the people getting layoffs, especially in winter.

In my trade which is construction related it was always hit and miss in the winter months unless you lived in a warm place like Phoenix or Florida. Best things was to be able to do several things and not put all your eggs in one basket. If there wasn't much cabinet making work maybe do some deck work or framing or maybe some installation of marble tub surrounds in hotels. If residential work was slow maybe get some commercial installs. Seems like people who work in factories and only know one thing are the most at risk.

B00Mer

Pablo being an ex coyote who brought several to the states so they could feed their families. It should be clear to many who the idiot is here. Good going Billy boy.

So you know somebody who is smuggling illegals to the USA.. drugs or just wet backs?

Migrant deaths along the Mexico–United States border (external - login to view)

darkbeaver

In my trade which is construction related it was always hit and miss in the winter months unless you lived in a warm place like Phoenix or Florida. Best things was to be able to do several things and not put all your eggs in one basket. If there wasn't much cabinet making work maybe do some deck work or framing or maybe some installation of marble tub surrounds in hotels. If residential work was slow maybe get some commercial installs. Seems like people who work in factories and only know one thing are the most at risk.

Exactly.

Ludlow
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

So you know somebody who is smuggling illegals to the USA.. drugs or just wet backs?

Migrant deaths along the Mexico–United States border (external - login to view)

My friend who is over 80 now helped many to work here and feed their families. Many sent money back home. Most were females and I worked with them . Probably the best workers I've had the pleasure to work with. Illegal? The word coyote would implicate that so probably yes. My friend Jesus went the legal citizenship route and probably knows the constitution better than most Americans.

Heard several stories of the corruption and intimidation in Mexico. I wonder if Billy boy is associated with some of those fine folks since he's so familiar with their ways.

Mexico's economy has been growing @ a rate of 4%-5% for over thirty years-that's why this company is going with a winner.

Do you like the look of all those Mercedes Sprinter vans you see swanning around?

Tradesmen use them, limo companies use them hell even the police use them-they're Made in Mexico where quality vehicles have been produced since the 1930's.

I don't doubt it. Quality Wilson sports balls were made primarily in the stitching huts of Pakistan where I'm sure you'll let us know about the fine salaries and benefits enjoyed by those workers many of them under 16 years of age.

taxslave
+1
One more good reason to be in resource extraction rather than manufacturing. We got the raw materials so we get to dictate wages to a certain extent while manufacturing jobs go where manufacturing is cheap. That would not be Ontario.

Depends on their job skills. WHen the paper mills were shutting down in BC it turns out these people were easy to train for oil refineries since they already knew how to sit in a chair and push buttons when a light flashed.Who Knew?

Ludlow
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

One more good reason to be in resource extraction rather than manufacturing. We got the raw materials so we get to dictate wages to a certain extent while manufacturing jobs go where manufacturing is cheap. That would not be Ontario.

Depends on their job skills. WHen the paper mills were shutting down in BC it turns out these people were easy to train for oil refineries since they already knew how to sit in a chair and push buttons when a light flashed.Who Knew?

Reminds me of a time not too long ago I took a position in a production cabinet factory in Missouri just for something to do. I'm an old school cabinetmaker and the computerized machinery they used was beyond my ignorant azz. They ask me to rip some boards and I go looking for a table saw and,, there was no table saw. All done by computerized machinery. Had to quit that job.

bill barilko
Mexico is doing so well economically more are returning to home to Mexico than are heading to El Norte (external - login to view)

I gave you a link in English since it's the only one you understand (and that poorly enough).

Ludlow

Mexico is doing so well economically more are returning to home to Mexico than are heading to El Norte (external - login to view)

I gave you a link in English since it's the only one you understand (and that poorly enough).

That should make Trump and Sheriff Joe happy they have everyone convinced there is an immigration problem. Why would anyone come to the states by the droves when there is such economic prosperity in old Mexico. Thanks for sharing and bringing us all into the light Billy boy. What I'd like to know though is how to manage a rock and roll band .

este es muy perturbado. lol

personal touch
I am sure the underground economy of Mexico will appreciate the new goods coming to their country.

Ludlow
Use to buy plywood from a lumber yard in Arkansas when I had my shop years ago and to save a buck or two,,or just to be more competitive I'd get some of that crap manufactured south of the border. It would delaminate when pushing it through the table saw most of the time. Factor in the labor to make it work and I didn't save a dime. Cost me more actually.

tay
Letís go back to his original promise. Carrier Air Conditioners said they were going to outsource 2100 jobs to Mexico. Trump promised to prevent that. Here it Is in his own words:
ďIím going to call up Carrier, and Iím going to tell the head of Carrier, I hope you enjoy your stay in Mexico, folks, but every single unit that you make and send across our border which now will be real, youíre gonna pay a 35% tax. And you know what Carrierís gonna do? Theyíre gonna call me in 24 hours, and theyíre gonna go, Mr. President, weíre moving back into the United States, weíre gonna build in the United States, thatís whatís gonna happen. 100% sure.Ē

And Iíll never forget, about a week ago I was watching the nightly news. I wonít say which one cause I donít want to give them credit, Iíll be honest. I donít like Ďem, not even a little bit. But they were doing a story on Carrier. And I say wow, thatís something. I want to see that. And they had a gentleman, worker, great guy, handsome guy, he was on. And it was like he didnít even know they were leaving. He said something to the effect: No, were not leaving, because Donald Trump promised us that weíre not leaving. And I never thought Iíd made that promise.

wwwyoutubecomwatchvu9sRdqWfpfc

Murphy
But they are an a/c company, right? Wouldn't you go to where there is heat? Really hot heat. That's Mexico, right?