Apple to open facility in Kanata, sources say

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Apple to open facility in Kanata, sources say

Apple has leased space at a Kanata office complex in preparation for setting up a facility in the National Capital Region, several sources have confirmed to OBJ.

Although the California-based tech giant has yet to publicly announce it is establishing a presence in Ottawa, sources say they believe the 22,100-square-foot suite at 411 Legget Dr. in the Kanata Research Park will be devoted to research and development.

The space is located in the G. Best Building, which is owned by KRP Properties. The building’s main tenant is now DragonWave, but KRP’s website lists a 22,099.74-square-foot space at suite 300 as “currently vacant.”

KRP describes the property as a “full-floor office suite with executive boardroom, meeting rooms, several offices, server room, lunchroom, showers, private balconies and lab space.” The building’s director of leasing did not respond to a request for comment.

The world’s largest technology company by total assets and its second-largest mobile phone manufacturer, Apple generated revenues of more than $233 billion US in 2015.

The company has been boosting its R&D spending in recent years, investing more than $8 billion in research and development in fiscal 2015 alone – a 34 per cent increase over the previous year. In the past 12 months, Apple has opened or planned new research facilities in Cambridge, England, and Yokohama, Japan.

Business analysts have been speculating for some time that the tech colossus known for its personal computers, smartphones, tablets and devices such as the Apple Watch is branching out into the automotive sector.

Last fall, appleinsider.com reported rumours that the company was developing an electric vehicle, noting it had begun poaching high-profile automotive engineers. Sources told the website Apple was also considering construction of a new development centre in San Jose that could be used to assemble vehicles.

Ottawa already has a major presence in the automotive software sector. Kanata is home to BlackBerry’s automotive division, QNX Software Systems, which recently unveiled a slate of new software for the rapidly evolving driverless car market.

source: Apple to open facility in Kanata, sources say - Technology - Ottawa Business Journal

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I'd love to see Canada become a tech giant on the world stage.

We are, in a way. The University of Waterloo grads invented a lot of this technology. Blackberry is from there. They have run their course but for a long time, thery dominated their market. Waterloo and Kanata have been tech centers since the late 70s. Montreal is a hub for gaming apps. I live right near Shridan College,that has trained a lot of the best Pixar, Disney animators. Canadians are lousy at tooting our own horns. We also export a lot of our best and brightest to where the big money is. A surprising amount of American ingenuity comes from somewhere else, like Canada.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Yep that 60 cent dollar is a prime incentive to get companies that can and will move anywhere at the drop of a penny. This represents a 40% savings on labour costs.
Canadian Peso works wonders.

...and Justine did that, did he?
Absolutely. He sent Apple all those selfies, then BAM!

They probably have their eye on refugees for employees.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Canadian Peso works wonders.

Absolutely. He sent Apple all those selfies, then BAM!

They probably have their eye on refugees for employees.

Most were done on iPhones so they are rewarding his product placements.

It's an Apple with better security and a keyboard ... you know. made to conduct ... business?

LOL My company is **** about security. They do use blackberries if they have to issue hardware but most people, rather than deal with having to actually use the pile of s-h-i-t, use the Good app on their iPhones or android devices. Equally secure for hooking to the corporate network. When I have to carry the pager (it is a Blackberry Z10 I think -- the one without the clunky useless keyboard), I have the service also call my cell phone so I really don't ever have to do anything with it at all. In the end they are the #3 hardware/software provider and will never compete again with iPhone or Android. Sad part is they had the market to themselves till they sat on their laurels and let their competitors kick their a-s-s-es.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Most were done on iPhones so they are rewarding his product placements.

LOL My company is **** about security. They do use blackberries if they have to issue hardware but most people, rather than deal with having to actually use the pile of s-h-i-t, use the Good app on their iPhones or android devices. Equally secure for hooking to the corporate network. When I have to carry the pager (it is a Blackberry Z10 I think -- the one without the clunky useless keyboard), I have the service also call my cell phone so I really don't ever have to do anything with it at all. In the end they are the #3 hardware/software provider and will never compete again with iPhone or Android. Sad part is they had the market to themselves till they sat on their laurels and let their competitors kick their a-s-s-es.
it wasn't a "pile of sh1t" a decade ago. It was state of the art. Time moves on ... Kodak ...Xerox ... Blackberry...all were awesome companies for their time. Somewhere in the future, it would happen to Apple, as well as sure as the sun rises.