$1,100 for Uber ride from southeast Edmonton to St. Albert on NYE

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
60 minute taxi would be $150.00 plus tip. I don't get why people use Uber or Lyft.....

An Edmonton man is speaking out after being charged more than $1,100 for a 60-minute ride home on New Year’s Eve using the ride-sharing app Uber.

“We use Uber all the time, so it was the first choice for me,” said Matthew Lindsay. “I’ve taken a similar route at peak time before and it cost me about $77.”

Lindsay and a group of friends were celebrating a wedding at the Southwood Community League in Mill Woods.

The normal fare for the ride was $125, which was multiplied by 8.9.

“It's a long trip, that's an understandable rate. But once you tack on 8.9 times it definitely surges right up there.”

In an emailed statement, an Uber spokesperson told CTV News that ‘surge pricing’ is put in place during busy times and is used as an incentive for drivers to offer rides.

“They just haven't acknowledged the fact that this is an unfathomable price. It’s a ridiculous, outrageous price.”

Lindsay said he’s speaking out to warn other Uber riders.

“Definitely do your research. Make sure that you get the estimate, and know what you're getting into.”

One tech expert said Uber has come under fire for surge pricing before but ultimately it’s up to the consumer to understand the agreement.

Man charged $1,100 for Uber ride from southeast Edmonton to St. Albert on NYE | CTV Edmonton News