How Hong Kong thrives amid a 100% carbon tax and no transit subsidy.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Greetings from Canada. I'd spent a few days in Hong Kong's smoggy but still-clean-enough-to-be-enjoyed air before coming back.

I'd learnt long ago that Hong Kong's public transit system sustains itself on rider fares alone without any government subsidy. More recently I'd learnt that Hong Kong imposes a 100% carbon tax and yet its economy is still obviously thriving.

How does Hong Kong pull it off? My guess is that it has to do with a more user-pay tax system. Aside from the carbon tax, it has no value-added tax like the GST and charges income tax only to those earning well above the poverty line.

It also does not waste money on ethnic policy like the official languages act. Sure it's trilingual (Cantonese, Mandarin and English), but only in some government services. The private sector is almost entirely monolingually Cantonese though often Mandarin except in the tourist centres so as to not waste their precious English resources.

Subway fares are also more user-pay. You clock in and out to determine the fare based on how far you traveled. That way those who choose to live close to work aren't subsidizing the fares of those who choose to live far from work.

Immigration is far more efficient too. To Hong Kong, I filled a paper to present with my oassport, the agent did not even ask any questions, checked that my face matched the picture, and off I went.

Of course Hong Kong's low tariffs help too.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They don't even start until well above the poverty line.

Yeah? They start on $1. 2% on the first $40K. 7% on the next $40K. 12% on the next $40K and 17% on the remainder.

SFA!!!

THAT is how Hong Kong thrives with carbon taxes.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Do they all bitch and complain about everything like they do out west?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It would be possible because the transit vehicles are always full rather than a bus packing one or two people around. You would also have to know the route that a person takes who is farthest away from the first transit stop tp know if it serves the outskirts or theu drive/bike to the nearest transit station.
Years ago community bikes were available, see a vacant one grab it and ride it as far as you were going and leave it a=in any bike stand and the next rider used it. Make them e-bikes and charge them at the bike rack that might solve some of the expense associated with a transit system that needs to be subsidized.

Chinese not complain? How long have you lived in BC?
Didn't you mention that their Gov limits what gets out?? This member would be classified as being a 'spy' as the information he provided might be a state secret.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Yeah? They start on $1. 2% on the first $40K. 7% on the next $40K. 12% on the next $40K and 17% on the remainder.

SFA!!!

THAT is how Hong Kong thrives with carbon taxes.

We'd have to give up many sacred cows to achieve that. Compare Canada's bloated and cumbersome border officers to the Hong Kong version: fill a firm on the plane, present it to the officer with your passport and way you go, and that's for non-residents. Canadian citizens coming to Canada don't have it that easy. I went through secondary screening yesterday and the stupid questions!

I heard the man getting grilled at the next counter while I was waiting to get my electronic devices checked.

Officer (through interpreter):

Do you celebrate Christmas?

Man (through interpreter) Yes.

Officer: Do you have choldren?

Man: Yes.

Officer: Why won't you be with your family for Christmas?

Man: Because it's not a very important holiday for us.

Officer: But you said you celebrate Christmas.

At this stage the interpreter interrupted the officer that Christians aside, most Chinese don't consider Christa to be very important even if they do celebrate it when they can.

Officer to interpreter: But he said he celebrates it. Please translate.

And there you have your tax dollars hard at work presenting Canada as a country of right idiots to the world.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If a person chooses to live in the middle of nowhere, then he should pay more for the road only he uses.