Loblaw to add 20,000 jobs in $1.2-billion expansion

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Loblaw Cos Ltd, Canada's largest grocer, said it would invest more than $1.2 billion in its Canadian business in 2015.

The investment includes construction projects for dozens of new and existing stores, e-commerce expansion, and continued investment in supply chain and IT infrastructure, the company said on Monday.

The investment is expected to create more than 20,000 jobs.

Loblaw to add 20,000 jobs in $1.2-billion expansion | Money | Toronto Sun

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Most jobs connected to groceries are probably a good thing, as I don't see eating going out of vogue any time soon. :) :)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That is a bitch for the gloom&doomers. More jobs created by just one company than all the temporary cutbacks in the oil patch. Must be Harper's fault.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
More jobs for Filipino immigrants. They want to work and will move 10,000km to work jobs that are too lowly for Canadians.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
More jobs for Filipino immigrants. They want to work and will move 10,000km to work jobs that are too lowly for Canadians.

I think you might be on to something there! I've been away from the work force too long to really be aware of the situation. How do you perceive the work ethic among Canadians compared with that of other countries overseas?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have zero complaint about the 20,000 that moved to SK over the past 5 years. They work hard and came here with solid credit ratings and are buying homes ASAP. They fit right into the community and the RC Church.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
No one cares about a bunch of wage slave jobs you'll have to supplement with welfare because the job doesn't provide a livable wage.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Great news.

Having worked overseas, I can say that Canada is not famed for its work ethic. I'm not sure if we are that bad globally, at least among first world nations, but we compared to Americans, who, in my experience, have much more of a work ethic.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No one cares about a bunch of wage slave jobs you'll have to supplement with welfare because the job doesn't provide a livable wage.

How much is a liveable wage?

Why? Fact or your your scphinter is just flapping?

Petros - I often find with this type of poster, it can work well just to ask them a question, which makes them think a little. If you don't hear back from them (often the case) no more needs to be said! :) :)

Great news.

Having worked overseas, I can say that Canada is not famed for its work ethic. I'm not sure if we are that bad globally, at least among first world nations, but we compared to Americans, who, in my experience, have much more of a work ethic.

It sounds like there has been a change in the last 10 years or so. It was about then that I heard that Canadian labourers were highly valued in California and there were jobs for the asking there for Canadians at that time.