British retailer yanks offensive Christmas card

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
British retailer yanks offensive Christmas card
QMI Agency
First posted: Sunday, December 07, 2014 12:38 PM EST | Updated: Sunday, December 07, 2014 12:51 PM EST
A British company has stopped selling a distasteful Christmas card that appeared on its site following a barrage of criticism.
Clintons, which describes itself as one of the U.K.'s leading retailers of greeting cards, gifts and wrap, was selling a card with the cover “10 reasons why Santa Claus must live on a council estate."
Council estates are a form of public or social housing, and the term is used primarily in the U.K. and Ireland.
The card lists 10 reasons, among them: "He has a serial record for breaking and entering," "He’s never actually been seen doing any work in his whole life," and "He can get hold of all the latest designer gear but never pays a penny for it!"
Brits took to social media to express their outrage at the company's demonization of social housing residents.
@suzy4harlow tweeted: "This is shameful. Nothing like a bit of class snobbery!?"
And @vonny_bravo tweeted: "Wow, some horrific poor-shaming from Clinton Cards."
An apology from the company was posted Sunday on the page where the card was being sold.
"We apologise but this card in our range has been withdrawn. It is in no way reflective of our views and we apologise without reservation. "We are investigating how this offensive card got through our quality control procedures, which we will review and tighten as a result of this incident.
"This was a mistake and we deeply regret the upset that this has clearly caused."
http://twitter.com/suzy4harlow/status/541359374997155840/photo/1
British retailer yanks offensive Christmas card | Weird | News | Toronto Sun

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Those people who complained have obviously never lived on a councile state with the Daily Mirror set.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
And here I was thinking the people were going to be outraged over jokes about an imaginary character.... Instead they're outraged over an imaginary character being related to a generalized characterization of someone who might typically end up in such housing while also not directly claiming all who do live in such housing are the same kind of people.

If I was the company's PR guy I would have told them all to grow a fk'n sense of humor and to suck my Sac De'leur.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It doesn't take much to offend the left-wing Twitterati. Just look at the outrage they showed over that Esa scientist's shirt.