Brazilian Owned Burger King Looks To Buy Tim Hortons

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
or will it just be a merger of convenience......?

Many Americans may have the idea that Canada, with its socialized health care system, is a high-tax country, but when it comes to corporate taxes, our northern neighbors can boast the second lowest rates in the G-7. That has Burger King looking at crossing the border: The iconic American fast-food brand is in talks to buy coffee-and-donuts chain Tim Hortons and move its headquarters to Canada.

In a statement late Sunday night that confirmed an earlier report in the Wall Street Journal that a deal was in the works, the companies said the combination would create the third-largest quick service restaurant company in the world, with approximately $22 billion in sales and over 18,000 restaurants in 100 countries worldwide.

more

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/08...hp=true&_type=blogs&partner=yahoofinance&_r=1&

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It's business. Burger King doesn't want to pay high taxes, just like any other person, and will move it's headquarters to Canada to pay our much lower corporate tax, win-win.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It's business. Burger King doesn't want to pay high taxes, just like any other person, and will move it's headquarters to Canada to pay our much lower corporate tax, win-win.

Nonsense. We have been told that Harper is not fostering any new business in Canada or helping Canada in any way.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Tim Horton's is a second rate donut shop.. until you have had a Krispy Kreme, you haven't lived yet. :lol:

Made fresh in the store, warm and melts in your mouth.

with a huge selection..

...or the alternative, Timmies will ship there day old crap and you will buy it..

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Apparently, KPMG provided the analysis and the corporate entity can save approx 14% in corporate taxes by virtue of moving HQ to Canada.

For a company that has such huge revenues, a small move in the tax rate equates to 10'e or possibly 100's of millions per year.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason to care. Can anybody tell me why this is horrible? The US loses some taxes revenue I guess. Maybe they should fix that problem. Start with making it illegal to buy their politicians.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason to care. Can anybody tell me why this is horrible? The US loses some taxes revenue I guess. Maybe they should fix that problem. Start with making it illegal to buy their politicians.

Are you mad? Politicians for sale is the American Way! If we couldn't buy them, they might. . . who knows? Govern in the best interests of all, perhaps! *shudder*

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Tim Horton's is a second rate donut shop.. until you have had a Krispy Kreme, you haven't lived yet. :lol:

Made fresh in the store, warm and melts in your mouth.

Krispy Kreme failed miserably in Massachusetts.

When they first opened the lines were out the door. Then after a few years they all closed down.

Dunkin' Donuts Rules New England.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yeah, the good old days when I was in the USA and folks said; "Canadians pay more tax to cover that Free Health Care."

Just wait to they figure it out, Canada has lower taxes than the USA and Free Health Care.. time to build a border fence. :lol:

I must say I agree... time to build that fence.

Although if you build a fence people will most definitely come across to see what is up.

Hold the line Canada... trust me. We're getting swamped and there is only one other place people can go after the US is tapped out.