No-tip restaurants fight to gain traction

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No-tip restaurants fight to gain traction

CBC – 3 hours ago

A B.C. restaurant owner will soon be joining a handful of U.S. restaurants that have adopted a "no tipping" policy, a move that could boost the set wages of servers and leave gratuity-anxious customers feeling a lot less guilty.
“I think we will see this gaining traction,” said Michael vonMassow, an assistant professor of hospitality, food and tourism management at the University of Guelph. “Will it change overnight? Not at all. Will there be some bumps and bruises along the way? For sure.
“But I think we’re on the cusp of looking at it differently.”
Referring to tipping as a “broken business model,” David Jones, owner of the Smoke and Water in Parksville, B.C, told the Vancouver Province that when his restaurant opens up this June, customers will not be allowed to tip.
He will instead increase the menu prices by 18 per cent and jack up the average wage servers and cooks make. His servers will receive between $20 and $24 an hour while cooks will earn $16 to $18 an hour.
By eliminating tipping, Jones said, he will attract more qualified servers and cooks and narrow the wage gap between the two occupations. Wait staff can make up to three times more than those in the kitchen.
“There’s lots of people who are thinking about it,” von Massow said. “There are a few places that have actually done it.”
Tipping is mostly a North American phenomenon, and some restaurants in New York and California have instituted strict no-tip polices.
From a restaurant owner's point of view, eliminating tipping could diminish some of the operational challenges of the business. The great divide between how much people in the kitchen make and how much servers get can be a source of tension.
"When tips are going directly to the server, it’s difficult for the manager to get some allocation to people who are creating value in the kitchen," von Massow said
Some managers implement tip pooling — taking a share of tips from the servers and allocating them to the staff in the back. But that too can be problematic.
Trust and transparency can become factors, as pooling raises questions as to whether the manager is pocketing some of the money and whether the tips are being allocated fairly. Eliminating tips makes wages more predictable.
"So if [you] get a lousy shift or a lousy table you're not going to get hurt — or get lucky if you get the person who just won the lottery," von Massow said.
While a no-tip policy may make life easier for the mathematically challenged consumer, it also removes the anxiety that comes at the end of the meal.
“We feel this guilt, this social pressure to tip, and in many cases we don’t feel it’s warranted," von Massow said. "At the end of a beautiful meal, our last experience with the restaurant is uncertainty. How much should we tip?"
"I think a restaurant that doesn’t require me to do that will be a more comfortable experience for me," he said, adding that research shows the quality of service rarely affects the amount of the tip.
But vonMassow said there is the risk that a no-tipping policy could affect the overall effort by servers, who may no longer feel an incentive to work harder for a tip. Studies have suggested that servers will work harder for customers they believe will leave a bigger tip, vonMassow said.
"Is there risk that individual effort goes down? Probably, it becomes a performance management issue. However, there may also be opportunity to foster a team environment, reduce the competition and even out the service experience, he said.
Garth Whyte, president and CEO of Restaurants Canada, said that although the servers' wages would be higher, they would also be dinged for pension and employment insurance deductions.
"Lots of people in university, they want the cash. They want that direct relationship [with the customer] because tips is where they’re going to make their money."
"Will [the B.C. restaurant owner] be able to entice staff with that higher salary versus tip?"
As well, the no-tip restaurant may mean higher costs, a real challenge in such a hyper-competitive industry, Whyte said,
"So will the customers come at a higher price?" he said.
Reaction by consumers will most likely be mixed, vonMassow said.
"I think there will be people who say, 'You’re taking power away from me and I don’t like it.' I think there will be people who say, 'I love it because it takes the pressure off me,' and there will be a large group in the middle who will be indifferent."

No Tip Restaurants Fight To Gain Traction

I'm curious how it will do.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I hope it does brilliantly. The low-wage/tip system is bad for servers, non-serving employees, and customers. The only real surprise is that it's taken this long for some restaurant owners to cotton on that it's bad for them too.

The depressingly unsurprising fact is that only a small number of owners seem to have caught the clue.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There is the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but, aside from the notion that just saying 'it aint' broke' doesn't mean it isn't, the world changes. And along with it sometimes business models gotta change too.

Be interesting to see where it goes.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There is the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but, aside from the notion that just saying 'it aint' broke' doesn't mean it isn't, the world changes. And along with it sometimes business models gotta change too.

Be interesting to see where it goes.
Many, many years ago, I was a waiter, amongst other things. And I know several waiters. Trust me, it's broke.

It's worth noting that this is a voluntary effort by restaurant owners, not something imposed from outside.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's worth noting that this is a voluntary effort by restaurant owners, not something imposed from outside.

In order for change to be sustainable it pretty much has to be voluntary. Imposed changes often just lead to people finding ways to 'buck the system' anyway. We're all rebels at heart, in some way, shape or form.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
That's all well and good but, the tip is more than a few dollars chucked on the table to impress your friends, it's an "attaboy" to that waitperson. Verification that he/she is doing a good job. Getting twenty bucks an hour is fine, but a big tip is special.
And as an aside, I never agreed with splitting tips, the waiter earns that tip. The cook is just a cook

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Perfect for Parksville-as polluted as it is with doddering old codgers squeezing every nickel until the beaver craps.

Anyway it's one way to attract some attention but after Labour Day P'ville will go back to sleep and within another 6 months that restaurant will have folded.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have several questions about it- 1. They are going to lose the 15-20% of the patrons who don't tip. 2. They are going to lose a fair # of patrons who like to tip for good service. 3. 18% is pure greed, 12% would be ample. 4. They are going to pay the cooks more than the waitresses. I don't think it will "fly".

Perfect for Parksville-as polluted as it is with doddering old codgers squeezing every nickel until the beaver craps.

Anyway it's one way to attract some attention but after Labour Day P'ville will go back to sleep and within another 6 months that restaurant will have folded.

F**k off Bill, I lived in Parksville for 14 years and it's obvious you don't know what you are talking about. The old codgers you describe live 7 miles away in Qualicum Beach. There are many young, vibrant, industrious people in Parksville. -:)

That's all well and good but, the tip is more than a few dollars chucked on the table to impress your friends, it's an "attaboy" to that waitperson. Verification that he/she is doing a good job. Getting twenty bucks an hour is fine, but a big tip is special.
And as an aside, I never agreed with splitting tips, the waiter earns that tip. The cook is just a cook

You done good until the last 6 words. Quite often the waitress is getting tipped largely for the cook's ability and talent. By the same token if the cook f**ks up the waitress catches sh*t. -:)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I have several questions about it- 1. They are going to lose the 15-20% of the patrons who don't tip. 2. They are going to lose a fair # of patrons who like to tip for good service. 3. 18% is pure greed, 12% would be ample. 4. They are going to pay the cooks more than the waitresses. I don't think it will "fly".

Question... did you say a 12% tip is ample?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Question... did you say a 12% tip is ample?

No, I didn't. 12% is what a "tip expert" on the news awhile back recommended for "satisfactory" service. I said 12% is ample because it likely generously reflects what the business would be losing when you average in everyone including the non tippers. Some restaurants these days have a very crass habit of printing out right on your bill what 12%, 15%, 18% actually amounts to in $ and cents. I don't go back to those places! A tip is an award for exemplary service, not part of the price.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
A tip is an award for exemplary service, not part of the price.

The fact is that really isn't the case. The system is set up on the expectation that you will tip a certain amount. Servers get paid below minimum wage because they are expected to get tips. Tipping more than usual is the reward for exemplary service.

Some restaurants have started to set the suggested tip on their credit card terminals in a pretty stupid way though. I was at a bar on the weekend and the terminal was set up to automatically add 20%, and if you wanted to tip any other amount you had to push a bunch of buttons to change it.

Giving a few suggested options is fine, as long as it includes reasonable amounts like 15%. If you get greedy I'm likely to tip less than normal.

The low-wage/tip system is bad for servers

Not necessarily. I know a number of servers who make a TON of money based on this system. If they were on any sort of wage system, they would never get paid 60k+ per year working like 20 hours per week, but that is the kind of money they make under this system, mostly in cash, so the proper wage equivalent is well over 60 bucks an hour.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
No, I didn't. 12% is what a "tip expert" on the news awhile back recommended for "satisfactory" service. I said 12% is ample because it likely generously reflects what the business would be losing when you average in everyone including the non tippers. Some restaurants these days have a very crass habit of printing out right on your bill what 12%, 15%, 18% actually amounts to in $ and cents. I don't go back to those places! A tip is an award for exemplary service, not part of the price.

Was the tip expert Canadian or American?

I know what you are talking about with the bill having an auto tabulation of tips on your bill. I just thought they were being helpful and not anything else. Just another feature on the point of sale machine.

Rarely do restaurants automatically add a tip except for a large party. I recall restaurants in Vancouver saying they will be automatically be adding an tip to larger groups during the Olympics. We had a great debate in here about that. I was in total support of the restaurants for doing that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You can't suck and blow at the same time, Bornruff! Do they make less than minimum wage? (In Canada I'm sure they don't) or do they earn over $60 an hour?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
You can't suck and blow at the same time, Bornruff! Do they make less than minimum wage? (In Canada I'm sure they don't) or do they earn over $60 an hour?

They have an hourly wage from the restaurant and they get tips, so what they take home is different from their hourly wage. I'm certainly not saying that the ones making 60k+ are struggling.

Server's minimum wage is lower than the general minimum wage. In Ontario, minimum wage is $11 for most people, while minimum wage for servers is $9.55.

Keep in mind that incomes for servers vary wildly, so just because a bartender at a nice bar is making 60k a year doesn't mean that the girl working slow hours at some other restaurant is even making more than general minimum wage.

So tipping isn't just a nice addition, it is so enshrined into the system that even the government relies on it to make up a decent portion of a server's wage.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Keep in mind that incomes for servers vary wildly, so just because a bartender at a nice bar is making 60k a year doesn't mean that the girl working slow hours at some other restaurant is even making more than general minimum wage.

So tipping isn't just a nice addition, it is so enshrined into the system that even the government relies on it to make up a decent portion of a server's wage.

We have to be realistic, if someone is working "slow hours", it's obvious the money simply isn't there to pay more. I think the market place should take care of the industry, it shouldn't have to be subsidized.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
We have to be realistic, if someone is working "slow hours", it's obvious the money simply isn't there to pay more. I think the market place should take care of the industry, it shouldn't have to be subsidized.

It isn't a subsidy. It is an expected part of the cost of dining out.

As for your comment about the money simply not being there, that really depends. Every business has slow hour and busy hours. In many restaurants and bars, the amount of money flowing to the servers on busy nights can be huge. Consumers are already spending enough in order to pay everyone a good wage no matter what shift they get, it just means a big change in terms of certain servers not being able to take all of the best shifts and capture a disproportionate amount of the money. In other industries, it is not so common to be paid differently based on how busy the shift is.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe ?
The canoe sometimes tips.

............try the veal...........tip the waitress...........I'm here all week.

Did someone say "try the veal"?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Looks like this business will end up with some very happy and loyal wait staff.