Warren Buffett: “I think the oil sands are an important asset for mankind

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
over the centuries to come"

#nokxl #climate http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/05/03/live-blog-the-2014-berkshire-hathaway-annual-meeting/ …

OMAHA, Neb–The devoted shareholders of Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc.BRKB -0.75% got an earful of wisdom at the company’s annual meeting Saturday.

Roughly 40,000 people packed the CenturyLink Center, a basketball arena in downtown Omaha, to hear Mr. Buffett and his business partner, Charlie Munger, speak for hours about the economy, the stock market, and their widely celebrated approach to investing. This year, Mr. Buffett’s decision to abstain from voting on Coca-Cola'sKO +0.42% equity pay plan for senior executives was the very first question. But there were plenty of light-hearted moments too.

We live-blogged this year’s Buffettpalooza from the first sip of Cherry Coke to the last bite of See’s candy. Here’s how it all went down:

Recap: The 2014 Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting - MoneyBeat - WSJ

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Oh my god! Big Oil got to Buffet! How will the Lefties react?

...and surprise he owns railroad stock and how do you ship oil??

Warren Buffett's Railroad - Investment U

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
I can remember when the oil sands was not that viable. Trudeau had the foresight to invest in it.
People mocked him, for it was and is expensive to grind out a barrel of oil from the gunk.
But with oil hitting 40 bucks a barrel it became a gold rush . Now a total viable reality.

Modern day pipelines are more safe than the 40 year old ones now criss crossing Canada.

All that being said, I would like to see everything go electric with nuclear power plants .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I can remember when the oil sands was not that viable. Trudeau had the foresight to invest in it.
People mocked him, for it was and is expensive to grind out a barrel of oil from the gunk.
But with oil hitting 40 bucks a barrel it became a gold rush . Now a total viable reality.

Modern day pipelines are more safe than the 40 year old ones now criss crossing Canada.

All that being said, I would like to see everything go electric with nuclear power plants .

You don't want nuke. Not at all.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
You don't want nuke. Not at all.
It's here, it's the cleanest power available unless you think a gazillion wind turbines and blow away solar panels are the ticket.

I would like to see electric plug ins for electric cars everywhere.
You go out for diner , plug the car into a high efficient rapid battery charger and you get billed for it.
Go to the mall same thing. Pay as you go.

It's got to happen, this jump in gas prices is getting Joe Public crazy again.
Remember the last time when Harper even promised a 2 cent break on diesel for truckers, when it hit a buck 40.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's here, it's the cleanest power available unless you think a gazillion wind turbines and blow away solar panels are the ticket.

I would like to see electric plug ins for electric cars everywhere.
You go out for diner , plug the car into a high efficient rapid battery charger and you get billed for it.
Go to the mall same thing. Pay as you go.

It's got to happen, this jump in gas prices is getting Joe Public crazy again.
Remember the last time when Harper even promised a 2 cent break on diesel for truckers, when it hit a buck 40.
Nukes aren't clean, uranium doesn't fall from the sky and nukes and mines require a sh-tlode of fossil fuels to keep fed and running.

Wind and solar are a joke.

Electric vehicles are fine for fairweather urbanites that don't travel beyond the nearest Provincial Park . They are useless for rural and commercial.

Gasoline still gives the most bang for the buck even when it comes to environment.

Energy will never be as cheap as it once was and we can only thank the green beans for that. They f-cked themselves and the rest of us but good.

The energy companies are killing themselves with laughter and lapping up the fear money like crazy.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
So petros what can we do?
Gasoline is killing us.
When I vacation near the sea I'm breathing better and my nose no longer scabs inside.
My docotr says that is the salt air, but clean air makes me feel a lot better than this crap in toronto.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Your doctor is right. Use saline. Not the nose stuff but for contact lenses. It is 75% cheaper and identical.

The pollution that makes people feel crappiest is ozone a by product of electric systems and gasoline. Take your pick but it isn't going to go away. When it, really damn cold here it is all you can smell and it makes people hack and get lung infections.

I'm an efficiency person. I'd rather better manage our consumption without reducing lifestyle or industry. It can be done and is being done. There is no need for more sources of energy just use what we have better and better.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
i can remember when the oil sands was not that viable. Trudeau had the foresight to invest in it.

Modern day pipelines are more safe than the 40 year old ones now criss crossing canada.

All that being said, i would like to see everything go electric with nuclear power plants .

no nukes not ever

We need to stop burning that stuff ASAP.

You don't exactly burn nukes. When that happens it is already too late. That is why fossil fuels are so much safer and cheaper.