How Environmentalists Are Killing Jobs

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda
f you visit the drilling sites in Williston, N.D., you discover an amazing phenomenon: At night, this little energy town of fewer than 30,000 people lights up like Manhattan on New Year's Eve. All these lights are flares burning off the natural gas that was drilled that day. Why on earth would the drillers do that? Because they want oil, which sells at $100 a barrel, as opposed to natural gas, which is now so abundant that it's cheap.

But why don't they sell the natural gas too? Because they don't have the pipeline capacity to bring it to the markets where it's needed. So they are burning off an energy source, without capturing the power. What a waste.

The pipelines aren't getting built, simply because the government isn't letting them get built. It has been an eye-opening experience to watch liberals block an infrastructure project -- the Keystone XL pipeline -- that two of three Americans (and even a plurality of Democrats) support. Pew had an amazing poll last month reporting that just about every demographic group in America supports the Keystone pipeline, except for Democrats with Ph.D.s and Democrats who earn more than $100,000.
Don't attribute to stupidity that which can be explained by malice.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
If they are burning natural gas in falres, they are not "burning off as an energy source." At least not a usable energy source.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's poisonous and has to be burned.

It was last fall or the year before green beans were claiming ND flares could be seen from space when in reality they were doing a controlled burn of grasses in Roosevelt National Park.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Try learning about H2S
Zipperfish misread the original quote and that is what I was talking about.

BTW
I put myself through school working 12's masked up on a few live snubbing jobs.
And that will open your eyes.
Several of my buddies were knocked down and I have been rocked a time or two.
After getting out of school I supervised more than a couple of critical sour drilling operations for Shell in the foothills.
And that was back when I was just starting out.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Zipperfish misread the original quote and that is what I was talking about.

BTW
I put myself through school working 12's masked up on a few live snubbing jobs.
And that will open your eyes.
Several of my buddies were knocked down and I have been rocked a time or two.
After getting out of school I supervised more than a couple of critical sour drilling operations for Shell in the foothills.
And that was back when I was just starting out.

Good man. The H2S was additional to your comment not at you.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Environmental extremists also killed off the timber/lumber industries in California.

Here too and the people complained of no jobs when all the pulp mills closed across Canada. Now we import American paper of lesser quality and they complai it expensive.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
If they are burning natural gas in falres, they are not "burning off as an energy source." At least not a usable energy source.

BS it is still natural gas. It is a usable energy source or it would not burn.

Try learning about H2S

Sour gas can be processed and used. Some acid gas would have to be flared but with a sulfur plant, the H2S can have most of the sulfur recovered as well. Old technology, used in Alberta for decades... and definately more environmentally friendly than flaring everything.

I'm not saying I agree with all the finger pointing in this op-ed piece but there is a grain of truth there as well.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
BS it is still natural gas. It is a usable energy source or it would not burn.

Sour gas can be processed and used. Some acid gas would have to be flared but with a sulfur plant, the H2S can have most of the sulfur recovered as well. Old technology, used in Alberta for decades... and definately more environmentally friendly than flaring everything.

I'm not saying I agree with all the finger pointing in this op-ed piece but there is a grain of truth there as well.
Running gas plants aren't efficient ask TransAlta, they are losing money hand over fist in FSJ