Insurance industry: Canada’s economy battered by climate change catastrophes in 2013

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Get ready for higher premiums cause everyone loves higher premiums!

Canada’s economy battered by climate change catastrophes in 2013

VANCOUVER — Extreme weather events such as the flooding in Calgary and Toronto nearly kept the federal government from meeting its budget targets last year, says an insurance industry official.

Barbara Turley-McIntyre of the Co-operators insurance agency told delegates at a forum on livable cities in Vancouver that the Alberta flood alone cost the Canadian economy $4.8 billion in economic losses.

The clean-up bill came to $1.9 billion — the single most costly disaster in Canadian history — and 90 per cent of it was on the federal tab because Canadians cannot buy flood insurance.

"Those are huge numbers,” Turley-McIntyre said in an interview. “There must be a way that we can come up with adaptation plans that lower those numbers in the future, being proactive rather than reactive.”

The floods and extreme winter storms in Atlantic Canada last year are a wake-up call that Canadians are vulnerable to the effects of global climate change, she said, citing a report earlier this week by a UN scientific panel.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change warned that the effects of global warming are already noticeable and could spiral out of control without action.

In Canada, Turley-McIntyre said the insurance industry is mobilizing, pressing for a flood insurance scheme for homeowners and action to make communities more resilient to the extreme weather disasters that are becoming commonplace.

“The events related to climate change are not coming to an end,” Turley-McIntyre said, citing the UN report. “I can’t give you hard numbers but I can say look at the trajectory that we’ve been on and assume that it’s going to continue.”

A roundtable is planned this summer with various industries and all levels of government. Improvements in infrastructure are a priority, she said.

“It’s not just about the insurance industry. Every business really has a stake in this, whether it’s the banking, whether it’s developers, whether it’s NGOs, whether it’s communities — there’s no one sector that owns the responsibility for either the issue or for the solution,” she said.

Ewa Jackson, acting director of ICLEI Canada, a group of local governments working on sustainability issues and an organizer of the Livable Cities Forum in Vancouver, said the UN report found that global climate change is not hypothetical.

The effects are already widespread and communities must “get ready for the new normal.”

Yet of 450 Canadian cities asked, only 25 had climate adaptation plans in place, said Stephen Huddart, president of the J.W. McConnell Family Foundation, a private group that supports a more innovative and sustainable society.

Ian Bruce, science and policy manager at the David Suzuki Foundation, said cities are leading the way in Canada on preparing for and trying to address the root causes of climate change.

“People are losing their homes. The costs are in the billions of dollars. It certainly highlights the importance of taking action,” he said.

“Our future isn’t up to chance. The severity of the impacts of climate change that we will face in future will depend on the choices we make today.”

Canada’s economy battered by climate change catastrophes in 2013

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Floods and winter storms are a result of 'climate change'? :lol:

Wow, the more you know I guess.

Extreme.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I don't think that you'll find that there is a whole lot of sympathy for the insurance companies.

Or any business for that matter.

But now that they are complaining about the effect on the bottom line are you going to include them in the conspiracy now?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I love it.

Rather than the Canadians blaming their own economic policies on the downturn of their economy (Canadians were gloating when their economy seemed to have avoided the credit crunch that hit other countries, but it now seems it has just hit them a bit later than everyone else) they instead blame it on a mythological creation.

They may as well have just blamed their economic sclerocity on elves or the Gulping Plimpy.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Or any business for that matter.

But now that they are complaining about the effect on the bottom line are you going to include them in the conspiracy now?

'Tis to laugh.

Are you under the impression that floods, heavy snow, wind,etc are a new phenomenon?

They are pissing and moaning about having to pay-out on their policies after years of collecting the premiums and paying-out a fraction.

Do yourself a favour and research where most of the insurance companies maintain their formal corporate existence (hint: look at the tax havens).

All that said, these groups may see losses on the balance sheets in the short term, but they have been among the most profitable companies for decades, so, they too should get used to the reality that not every fiscal period is a record-breaker

I love it.

Rather than the Canadians blaming their own economic policies on the downturn of their economy (Canadians were gloating when their economy seemed to have avoided the credit crunch that hit other countries, but it now seems it has just hit them a bit later than everyone else) they instead blame it on a mythological creation.

They may as well have just blamed their economic sclerocity on elves or the Gulping Plimpy.

Didn't your Central Bank almost go t*tters on half a dozen occasions in the last decade? Hell, Canada allowed you folks to employ one of us to clean up your economy and banking sector

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
'Tis to laugh.

Are you under the impression that floods, heavy snow, wind,etc are a new phenomenon?

They are pissing and moaning about having to pay-out on their policies after years of collecting the premiums and paying-out a fraction.

Do yourself a favour and research where most of the insurance companies maintain their formal corporate existence (hint: look at the tax havens).

All that said, these groups may see losses on the balance sheets in the short term, but they have been among the most profitable companies for decades, so, they too should get used to the reality that not every fiscal period is a

So basically insurance companies are in on it.

What about banks?

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304851104579363201070023722?mobile=y

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
The only fallacious statements here are the ones related to anthropogenic global warming and how mankind is doomed.

DOOOOOMED!

PS - toodle on down to your local bank and ask them if they can sell you some insurance... See what happens next

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So you are including banks in this grand collusion.

I see.

What about real estate agents then?

Are they in on the climate change fiasco too?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Are you daft man?

They ain't in or out or up or sideways son.

Greedy folk will find a 'convenient truth' as their niche for moolah. See?

Carry on now.

winter storms.

:lol:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
If you are going to follow the quick buck agenda, where all companies will make a bold faced lie for profit then you have to concede that oil companies are the worst offenders to remain consistent.

In which case, you've actually validated the existence of anthropogenic climate change based on your own rationale.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The insurance companies love the global warming hype. It lines their pockets and the alarmists are helping them.

If you are going to follow the quick buck agenda, where all companies will make a bold faced lie for profit then you have to concede that oil companies are the worst offenders to remain consistent.

In which case, you've actually validated the existence of anthropogenic climate change based on your own rationale.

Nice try... but no.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

In my view, this is nothing more than the insurance companies using global warming as a convenient excuse to fleece everyone in all sectors for higher premiums. Same thing happened with Katrina, 9/11 or icy roads in Nebraska that resulted in more car accidents.

You are among the few truthers that seek to pin any and everything on global warming regardless of the absurdity associated with it

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
In my view, this is nothing more than the insurance companies using global warming as a convenient excuse to fleece everyone in all sectors for higher premiums. Same thing happened with Katrina, 9/11 or icy roads in Nebraska that resulted in more car accidents.

You are among the few truthers that seek to pin any and everything on global warming regardless of the absurdity associated with it

Exactly, it has nothing to do with oil companies. The insurance companies are one the biggest beneficiaries hiking up premiums due to the global warming scam.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Not at all.

There are many factors that affect the bottom line.

You guys are the ones claiming that any association to climate change is a bold faced lie for profit and you haven't proven that claim.

And again if we are to humour the idea that only lies beget profits then the opposite must be true if you want to remain logically consistent.

In which case, oil companies like Exxon are also lying when they deny the existence of global warming to rake in the $$$.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Exactly, it has nothing to do with oil companies. The insurance companies are one the biggest beneficiaries hiking up premiums due to the global warming scam.

The irony being (one that MF accidentally ignores) is that much of the damage is not covered by insurance (read your policy).

I got a big laugh out of the generous use of the numbers in terms of damage from floods, etc, but here in Calgary (we had a really big flood recently), no one had coverage on flooding... That alone should be the big red flag in terms of the BS on the article quoted in the OP