Most BCers have lost confidence in the rcmp

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
A new Angus Reid survey suggests British Columbians' opinion of the RCMP has plummeted over the past two years -- and pollsters say the death of Robert Dziekanski is to blame.
Of a national survey polling public confidence in the internal operations and leadership of the Mounties, 57 per cent of Canadians said their opinions had stayed the same.
But in B.C., 61 per cent of those surveyed said their confidence in the RCMP had worsened.
CTV British Columbia- Public opinion of the RCMP plummets in B.C. - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

Gee, I wonder why?
Dziekansky's death at YVR? Robinson getting off with obstruction after his drunken killing of that kid in 2008? Robinson being put in charge at YVR after he'd shown his judgement was screwy? That iffy shooting of that other kid while in custody? Clayton Willie dying while in RCMP custody? John Dempsey, a disabled man in handcuffs was tasered as he "resisted" being led?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Every day the police have something else they've done on the pages of papers and
in other media coverage. Day before yesterday, a Mountie in Vernon BC off duty
was nailed inside his vehicle about to drive away drunk. They are actually thinking of
not charging him because he didn't start it up. If you have the keys and you are drunk
you can be charged. A few years ago no one would have known about it. I think it is
sad that the only thing keeping the police honest is a general public with cell phones.
You think police would be honest as a matter of principal. And yes if they are in charge of administering the law they should be held to a higher standard. I think one
of the biggest problems today is that the Crown Council is reluctant to prosecute the
police in many areas. Too bad when the general public thinks the police are dishonest.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Power corrupts. Perhaps they should do a thorough psychological assessment of anybody who wants to wear the uniform these days. I think the force reflects the degeneration of the morals of the general public. We can't expect anybody to be more accountable than we hold ourselves to. The force has to chose among us to find recruits. If you want an honourable force first you have to raise honourable children.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
CTV British Columbia- Public opinion of the RCMP plummets in B.C. - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

Gee, I wonder why?
Dziekansky's death at YVR? Robinson getting off with obstruction after his drunken killing of that kid in 2008? Robinson being put in charge at YVR after he'd shown his judgement was screwy? That iffy shooting of that other kid while in custody? Clayton Willie dying while in RCMP custody? John Dempsey, a disabled man in handcuffs was tasered as he "resisted" being led?

I think a lot of the fault lies with those meting out the punishment to cops who do screw up. As soon as a cop is found engaged in aberrant behaviour, he should be suspended without pay with intent to dismiss until the cop himself can provide evidence why he deserves more lenient treatment. I think the majority of cops do their jobs in a professional manner, but one buffoon like Robinson can spoil it for thousands.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Every day the police have something else they've done on the pages of papers and
was nailed inside his vehicle about to drive away drunk. They are actually thinking of
not charging him because he didn't start it up. If you have the keys and you are drunk
you can be charged. A few years ago no one would have known about it. I think it is
sad that the only thing keeping the police honest is a general public with cell phones.
You think police would be honest as a matter of principal. And yes if they are in charge of administering the law they should be held to a higher standard. I think one
of the biggest problems today is that the Crown Council is reluctant to prosecute the
police in many areas. Too bad when the general public thinks the police are dishonest.

A very good point that a few years ago people would not have heard about many of the RCMP / Police issues we hear about today. I have to agree with you that this might be a a good thing that they tell us but also a bad thing, at least in the general sense, for those who are honest officers in the short term while those who commit offences are brought to light..

After all these people are human..

But honestly, does anyone really think these problems will disappear should the RCMP be replaced by a BC Provincial police ?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's been said in our courts that the police have no obligation to protect you or your property. If they aren't there to protect us and our property who or what exactly are they there to protect?

Don't think so? here in Regina a kid stopped a cop and asked for help getting his bicycle back that was just stolen. The kid pointed to the theives and his bicycle but the constable told him to "phone in and file a complaint".

You are lieing to your kid if you tell him/her that the police are there to help you if you are in danger.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Royal Canadian Mounted Police

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police should of course be held to a higher standard, but to play Devil’s advocate, let’s not kid ourselves into thinking that there are those in the general population who seek at every turn to blow even the slightest errors on the RCMP’s part entirely out of proportion. If one officer is caught almost drinking and driving, that does not make the entire police force a bunch of drunk drivers; nor does one case of police brutality mean that all of our officers are out to beat the public. All of my dealings with the RCMP (which have thankfully been few and far between) have been very positive experiences.

I, as a resident of British Columbia, have complete faith and confidence in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You have this a little wrong. He had to have the keys in the ignition, not just on him. I'm not sticking up for him but - we don't know all the facts yet. If you think the police are not being honest - why make it public at all? All they had to do was have a member hop into the driver's seat and drive him home and say nothing at all. None of us would ever have known the difference. Instead, they reported him. So they were being honest and they deserve credit for it. People will criticize the media for so many things but when they state that the public in BC is losing confidence in the RCMP many of you choose to believe it. How many of you got a call regarding that poll? There must have been one. How else would they know?8O

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police should of course be held to a higher standard, but to play Devil’s advocate, let’s not kid ourselves into thinking that there are those in the general population who seek at every turn to blow even the slightest errors on the RCMP’s part entirely out of proportion. If one officer is caught almost drinking and driving, that does not make the entire police force a bunch of drunk drivers; nor does one case of police brutality mean that all of our officers are out to beat the public. All of my dealings with the RCMP (which have thankfully been few and far between) have been very positive experiences.

I, as a resident of British Columbia, have complete faith and confidence in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
Me too.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It's been said in our courts that the police have no obligation to protect you or your property. If they aren't there to protect us and our property who or what exactly are they there to protect?

Don't think so? here in Regina a kid stopped a cop and asked for help getting his bicycle back that was just stolen. The kid pointed to the theives and his bicycle but the constable told him to "phone in and file a complaint".

You are lieing to your kid if you tell him/her that the police are there to help you if you are in danger.
So Petros are you saying it was a member of the RCMP that did that? It's pretty hard to believe that any police officer would do that period. I just asked the question of whether or not the police are there to protect the people and their property and was told that they are and that that is included when they are sworn in as peace officers.
We will continue to tell the children in this family that the police are there to aid them.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I wish I were.
Just accept that you are. I've asked the question twice over the past couple of days. Maybe it's a tad different in Sask. but you have lived in this province. You think that nearly 27 years on traffic doesn't make a difference in the knowledge of the law?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
From a CDN legal advise page.

"Having Care and Control of a Motor Vehicle while Impaired"
Having care and control of a vehicle
does not require that you be driving it. Occupying the
driver's seat, even if you did not have the keys, is
sufficient. Walking towards the car with the keys could be
sufficient. Some defenses are you were not impaired, or you
did not have care and control because you were not in the
driver's seat, did not have the keys, etc. It is not a
defense that you registered below 80 m.g. on the
breathalyzer test. Having care and control depends on all
circumstances.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
After 27 year I'd really hope the criminal code was known.

There are six offenses in drinking and driving. They are
"driving while impaired", "Having care and control of a
vehicle while impaired", "Driving while exceeding 80 m.g.",
"Having care and control of a vehicle while exceeding 80
m.g.", "Refusing to give a breath sample", and "refusing to
submit to a roadside screen test". These are all Criminal
Code Offenses.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
After 27 year I'd really hope the criminal code was known.

There are six offenses in drinking and driving. They are
"driving while impaired", "Having care and control of a
vehicle while impaired", "Driving while exceeding 80 m.g.",
"Having care and control of a vehicle while exceeding 80
m.g.", "Refusing to give a breath sample", and "refusing to
submit to a roadside screen test". These are all Criminal
Code Offenses.
Bibliography

Highway Traffic Law, (Copyright January 1986: Community
Legal Education Ontario) p.17-32

Government Document, Canada Law Reform Commission Report on
Investigative Tests: Alcohol, Drugs, and Driving Offenses
(1983).

Erwin,Richard E. M.Bender. Defense of Drunk Driving Cases,
Criminal/Civil. (Albany 1986) p.79-81

Purich, Donald John, Drinking and Driving:What To Do If
You're Caught. (International Self Counsel Pr. 1978) p.22-25

Vertical File at Hill Crest Library, Drinking and
Driving-Offences and Penalties: A Summary (1988) p.2

Vertical File at Hill Crest Library, Criminal Code-Part 6
(1989), section 3, section 11.

Vertical File at Hill Crest Library, Highway Traffic
(1989), section 26

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
No. They have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was going to drive that vehicle and it's un-likely they will ever prove that.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Quote all you want. He's been in court too often and he knows that law inside out. I'll take his word on this one thanks. Remember I worked for a law firm and the lawyers often said "I'm up against your husband today" regarding an impaired driving charge and when they came back - they said "I lost". He was a good, fair and honest cop.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No. They have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was going to drive that vehicle and it's un-likely they will ever prove that.
Nope, read the Code. We have it for times just like this.

Operation while
impaired​
253.​
(1) Every one commits an offence who
operates a motor vehicle or vessel or operates
or assists in the operation of an aircraft or of
railway equipment or has the care or control of
a motor vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway
equipment, whether it is in motion or not,
(
a) while the person’s ability to operate the
vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment