Should new denver have cell phones?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Apparently there is a big squabble going on in the West Kootenay. Telus wants to establish cell phone coverage, some people don't want it. What is forcing the people who don't want it to have it?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Probably related to the guy in Nova Scotia who objected to plans for a new cell tower, because he was afraid that nobody would buy his organic garlic if it grew near a cell tower.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Probably related to the guy in Nova Scotia who objected to plans for a new cell tower, because he was afraid that nobody would buy his organic garlic if it grew near a cell tower.

Nuttier than squirrel poop.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

At least that guy had an excuse.............:lol::lol::lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Silly comments when you don't know the details. The tower would be right in the middle of a residential area. These people have dozens of studies that show probable cause of serious health issues. There are safer places in the area, but for convenience sake (economic) Telus insists on using an existing CBC tower. Cell phones are known to cause brain tumors from excessive use. Like anything else, used in moderation, cell phones wouldn't be a problem, but it has become a cultural phenomenon and people abuse them to their own detriment.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Silly comments when you don't know the details. The tower would be right in the middle of a residential area. These people have dozens of studies that show probable cause of serious health issues. There are safer places in the area, but for convenience sake (economic) Telus insists on using an existing CBC tower. Cell phones are known to cause brain tumors from excessive use. Like anything else, used in moderation, cell phones wouldn't be a problem, but it has become a cultural phenomenon and people abuse them to their own detriment.

I thought we'd hear from you. That little gem of news wasn't being reported on the radio this morning. Does the location of a tower pose the same threat as sticking the thing in your ear? I mostly agree with you. Cell phones have their use. I'd also suggest that 80% of use is unnecessary and detrimental, but in a free country peple have the right to be wasteful and make stupid decisions. Hey I know a kid who ate up $30 in two days texting & I'm sure there are adults who are just as stupid. Personally if I was living a few hundred metres from a tower, I wouldn't sleep over it, if it was in my yard I might.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's only one of the arguments from what I've read Cliffy. People against it aren't all of one mind. There are people who don't want it in, just for the sake of not having cell phones in the town; to maintain pace of life.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
We are talking about a town of a few hundred people living mostly in isolation. Check out the topography and relation of New Denver to any other major town. The closest city is Nelson (1 1/2 hours away). New Denver is nestled in amongst towering mountains on the shore of a narrow lake. The only people who would benefit from cell access would be the tourists.

Personally, I have no stake in the argument. They are over 1/2 an hour from here and several mountain rages away. I see how stupid people abuse the technology even here (ie: driving and talking or texting). I personally wouldn't own one. I have no use for it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
We are talking about a town of a few hundred people living mostly in isolation. Check out the topography and relation of New Denver to any other major town. The closest city is Nelson (1 1/2 hours away). New Denver is nestled in amongst towering mountains on the shore of a narrow lake. The only people who would benefit from cell access would be the tourists.

Personally, I have no stake in the argument. They are over 1/2 an hour from here and several mountain rages away. I see how stupid people abuse the technology even here (ie: driving and talking or texting). I personally wouldn't own one. I have no use for it.

I don't believe the proposal is to force all of the residents to use cell phones.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Even Rankin inlet has cel service now,they just got it a year ago.:p
I dont know what the beef is with cel towers,theres millions of radio waves going through the air anyways and through your body.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It all comes down to "do we live in a democracy?" If the majority of people see it as a detriment, who are anybody else (Telus, government) to tell them they have to have it?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Even Rankin inlet has cel service now,they just got it a year ago.:p
I dont know what the beef is with cel towers,theres millions of radio waves going through the air anyways and through your body.

Apparently one of the gentlemen objecting to it, is also someone who pushed to have the whole valley covered by WIRELESS internet previously. So, he obviously doesn't object to being bombarded by transmissions.

The Tyee — Why a Little BC Town Wants to Banish Cell Phones

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It all comes down to "do we live in a democracy?" If the majority of people see it as a detriment, who are anybody else (Telus, government) to tell them they have to have it?

Basically I agree. The burning question I have is are we better off as a society if they don't have it or if they do have it? Apparently the main reason for not having it is that it causes brain cancer. Is that a fact or is it some "sky is falling propaganda"? Another reason not to have it seems to be it only "benefits tourists". Do tourists benefit New Denver?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I remember when my mom sold the first microwave oven in town,most older folks would go no where near it in the store when she did demos cooking bacon on paper towel.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Basically I agree. The burning question I have is are we better off as a society if they don't have it or if they do have it? Apparently the main reason for not having it is that it causes brain cancer. Is that a fact or is it some "sky is falling propaganda"? Another reason not to have it seems to be it only "benefits tourists". Do tourists benefit New Denver?
Of course tourism benefits them. If there were none, New Denver would dry up and blow away. I think there are places around town that would be safer and give better coverage. Telus just doesn't want to build another tower. Anyway, this is a complicated issue that people who do not live in New Denver could not possibly know that much about reading mainstream media biased reporting. These people have their reasons and it is their problem, not anybody else'.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I remember when my mom sold the first microwave oven in town,most older folks would go no where near it in the store when she did demos cooking bacon on paper towel.
I still won't. Food cooked in those things are tasteless compared to stoves. Then again, food cooked on an electric stove is tasteless compared to a wood cook stove.