Are people really mean in BC?

sensualspirit

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I read about a year ago on forums that people in Vancouver are really nasty just like in Toronto.

This came from many people who live in Vancouver.

Now I'm hearing from someone who moved from Kingsville, ON to Victoria that people are nasty there too so they moved back to Kingsville.

I thought the nastiness was local to just Vancouver b/c it's a big city, so my question is, are people really that mean in BC?

Why are they so mean?

With all that beautiful weather & scenery, what is the problem? I don't understand.

Thanks

Michelle
P.S. Someone who is seriously considering moving out there from Ontario (used to live in Toronto area until last year & yes, I then realized after moving that people in the GTA are nasty, cold, etc.) I don't want a repeat of that.
[/FONT]

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think if you spend your time looking for 'nasty' people, you'll see them, it doesn't matter where you go.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I read about a year ago on forums that people in Vancouver are really nasty just like in Toronto.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This came from many people who live in Vancouver.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now I'm hearing from someone who moved from Kingsville, ON to Victoria that people are nasty there too so they moved back to Kingsville.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I thought the nastiness was local to just Vancouver b/c it's a big city, so my question is, are people really that mean in BC?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Why are they so mean?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With all that beautiful weather & scenery, what is the problem? I don't understand.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Michelle[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P.S. Someone who is seriously considering moving out there from Ontario (used to live in Toronto area until last year & yes, I then realized after moving that people in the GTA are nasty, cold, etc.) I don't want a repeat of that.[/FONT]
You've spent a fair amount of time talking/listening to me. I've lived in BC all my life. I'm a cashier so I talk to a lot of folks in a day. I've had 4 people get nasty. One BC woman who still wears a red face everytime she comes into the store. Two from Ontario who loudly yelled about the cost of groceries in BC because according to them (and they may be right - I don't know and I don't care because - I live here)groceries cost more here. I thought they were really just embarrassing themselves by the fuss they were making. Not like I could snap my fingers and lower the prices. I don't own the store (I wish!). The fourth was an oriental man who was angry with me because I did not know the name of a vegetable, in his language. I held up whatever it was and asked several other cashiers and no one around me knew and neither did any customers. Someone nearer the produce section whipped over and found out. He yelled at me - "You no try". I don't think I have to. Oh well. I've lived in several towns and cities and the people in BC are friendly. One of these days girl, you are going to believe me when I tell you that you are wasting time by not getting here!!:lol:;-)
I don't know what your weather is like right now. It's been so sunny and beautiful. It was and may still be 28 degrees today. (how do you like that Shadow?)

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I was in Vancouver for three days (on the way to Alaska cruise) and I found Vancouver people to be quite friendly and pleasant

And to say that Toronto people are mean is a nasty slander.

sensualspirit

Hi VanIsle,

You are talking Nanimo, right? What is Harbour City?

Do you know how much it will cost me to move over there?

I've been checking on prices. Just for the move (there's more to the move then just the movers) will cost close to $4k.

:) So, I know you think I can just snap my fingers & move, but I can't & I guess groceries are more expensive & in my other thread, no one really explained why. I mean if we were just talking Vancouver, ok, but you are talking Nanimo now, right?

Porter, I am not slandering anyone. You can disagree all you want, I lived there for many years & I'm not the only person who says this. I had a feeling this was the case, but only really found out it was once I moved away.

Thanks

Michelle

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There's a story, Michele, about a town that had a "greeter" posted at the town limits to greet new comers. One man asked him what the people in the town were like to which the greeter responded "What were the people in the town you came from like?". He responded "nicest people in the world, thoughtful, caring, generous etc." The greeter said "you'll find hte people here much the same". Pretty soon a second man shows up and asks the same question and gets the same answer and he responded "meanest people in the world, inconsiderate, mean and stingy", to which he got the response "you'll find the people here about the same".

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I saw a lumberjack up in Prince George fall a young cedar once, it brought tears to my eyes. I saids to that son of a bitch, "Boy, that tree did nothing to you, whats your prerogative?" He stared me down in the way only a lumberjack can do and said "Sir, do you like the paper you wipe your ass with?" I was speechless after that remark, humbled actually. From that point in I have taken excessive precautions to avoid pissing off BC lumberjacks.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Look for the sugar coating and life is sweet.
Look for crap and life will stink.
Everything is a matter of perspective.

TreeGirl

May 29, 2009
Canada
Michelle, it all depends on the company of people you want to keep your choice, wherever you go. People are Nice and Nasty Everywhere. Walk downtown in the city and say hello to someone you do not know. They follow you to work and ask you out on a date, start stalking you...Say hello to someone in a small town quiet streets you get a hello back in passing. Complete with Andy, Opey and Aunt B. Nanaimo is middle of the Island. Travel one hour you can go ski snowboard on Mt. Washington. West Coast Trails. Tofino. Go fishing ! Whale watching. Shopping in Nanaimo there are a number of malls and Grocery. Close to the ferry. The Island is more of a slow pace. Some I have met absolutley love it or hate it. We were posted to Goose Bay, Labrador. Friendliest people on Earth. From Labrador.
Then a girlfriend said she could not wait to get of this rock. Not enough Snow I guess.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'd lived in Victoria for about 7 years, Nanaimo for about 1 year, and Vancouver for about 3 months. I'd also lived in Toronto for about 6 months, Montreal for about 2 years, Kitchener for about 6 months, Ottawa for about 10 years, la Malbaie for a school year, and China for a few years. Oh yes, and Cornwallis NS for about 2 months and Wainright AB for about 6 months.
I've also visited Camloops, Edmonton, Calgary, Quebec City, and Roberval.

From my experiences, it's difficult to tell in a general fashion where people are friendlier. It really comes down to the individual.

Oh, and please, don't ask why I'd moved so much. My father was in the military, I was the in the military, and then had to move provinces to get around bureaucracy, once for immigration, once for language in education laws. As for the rest, I'd had a few bumpy parts in my life. So it all adds up to lots of moving around. In the end, having been raised that way, I guess it became sort of a habbit.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I read about a year ago on forums that people in Vancouver are really nasty just like in Toronto.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This came from many people who live in Vancouver.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now I'm hearing from someone who moved from Kingsville, ON to Victoria that people are nasty there too so they moved back to Kingsville.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I thought the nastiness was local to just Vancouver b/c it's a big city, so my question is, are people really that mean in BC?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Why are they so mean?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With all that beautiful weather & scenery, what is the problem? I don't understand.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Michelle[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P.S. Someone who is seriously considering moving out there from Ontario (used to live in Toronto area until last year & yes, I then realized after moving that people in the GTA are nasty, cold, etc.) I don't want a repeat of that.[/FONT]

That's about the goofiest statement I've read on here in a while, you musn't
be very good at figuring people out. There are all kinds, everywhere, and
that's the way it is. Pretty simple. Not sure if you will ever understand, with
a dumb question like the above.
now, do you think I'm mean? don't have a mean bone in my body, but I've
got good common sense between my ears.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I don't know about Vancouve, but it used to be really nice around here. Friendly people. Now we've had an influx of people from Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, the Okanagan, and it doesn't seem to be as friendly. You can go all day smiling at people and maybe see 3 or 4 people you don't know smile back. The rest look at you as if you're a slug or something. Damned foreigners anyway. lol

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hi VanIsle,

You are talking Nanimo, right? What is Harbour City?
You asked if people were friendly in BC so while I do find that people in Nanaimo are friendly, I have lived in many places across BC and for the most part - I find it to be a very friendly province.
Nanaimo is referred to as "The Harbour City". You have to remember the city is right on the ocean.

Do you know how much it will cost me to move over there?
No I don't. It cost us about $1400.00 seven years ago. However, we sold nearly all we had furniture wise before the move. We packed and un-packed all our own boxes. When we sold our house we sold it with all the appliances and we bought new when we arrived. We replaced a lot of our furniture when we got here. If you are wondering about ferry costs, it will depend on the size of the truck. You might be able to check it on the bcferries site. I think it's just BC Ferries - British Columbia Ferry Services Inc. - Experience the Difference They go by height and length.

I've been checking on prices. Just for the move (there's more to the move then just the movers) will cost close to $4k.
That sounds like a lot but it's a big move. I think most movers go by weight.

:) So, I know you think I can just snap my fingers & move, but I can't & I guess groceries are more expensive & in my other thread, no one really explained why. I mean if we were just talking Vancouver, ok, but you are talking Nanimo now, right?
Groceries is a tough thing to answer to. It really all depends on how you shop. I really know what I am saying regarding that. You know there are the - do you eat a lot of meat questions because no matter where you go, meat is not cheap. Do you eat organic food only or a mixture or just regular food? Do you buy a lot of junk food (potato chips etc.) Almost any loaf of bread for example will cost you close to $2.00 but sometimes less. Yesterday I bought 4 loaves for $5.00. I've been off work since April 22 so prices are not rolling off the top of my head but even though it could cost a little more for some things then it does in some places in Ontario, generally I would say that we are pretty much on par. BTW - I have moved numerous times. I know how difficult a move can be and I know you don't just pick up and move over-night.

Porter, I am not slandering anyone. You can disagree all you want, I lived there for many years & I'm not the only person who says this. I had a feeling this was the case, but only really found out it was once I moved away.

Thanks

Michelle
I wish you all the best and hope your move goes very well. Don't listen to Scott Free. He's from BC and he loves it.:lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I don't know about Vancouve, but it used to be really nice around here. Friendly people. Now we've had an influx of people from Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, the Okanagan, and it doesn't seem to be as friendly. You can go all day smiling at people and maybe see 3 or 4 people you don't know smile back. The rest look at you as if you're a slug or something. Damned foreigners anyway. lol
You sound like Cliff. What's with you guys from the Kootenay's anyway? lol You have to remember that people from big cities are not used to someone saying hello or even smiling at them. Keep giving them one of yours - they'll get the hang of it.:lol:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The worst place in BC is Kelowna IMO. It is just too rushed and because of geography too cramped and the people really are grumpy. In the summer it is the tourists that are friendly. In the winter it is grey, overcast, windy and just generally miserable; summer is ruined (for locals) with tourists and/or forest fires.

Vancouver used to be a very friendly place but it has changed in recent years.

If you want friendly go to Bella Coola or some other small town that needs tourist dollars. That's the best way to get friendly - pay for it. ;-)