Why is food more expensive in BC?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
It's very difficult to be a farmer in BC because of all the quotas and other monopolies, like the fruit growers association in the Okanagan for example. Wherever you don't have a free market you have higher prices.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
If it's so warm & mild there & lots of water, I would think agriculture is all over the place, same with cows, chickens, fish, etc.

Michelle
The last couple of years the fish supply has been on the low side. Even ocean fish. Halibut costs an arm and a leg this year - so expensive that most of the stores are not even selling it. It is usually something we buy lots of and freeze but we didn't this year. There are lots of cows and chickens and other animals as well :lol:. The Okanagan has orchards and that is where lots of fruit is grown. Scott is right in that the fruit goes to the packing house and they pay little to the farmers/orchardists. The biggest problem that orchardists face is hiring people to pick fruit. No one wants to do it. My brother has been an orchardist for years. He cannot hire local people to pick fruit and considers himself very lucky that often the Mexican people go to the area and do the picking. Oodles of berries are grown in the Fraser Valley. Most berry farms are now owned by East Indians and they do a great job of growing and picking the fruit. Unfortunately, the USA undercuts the local farmers so a lot of produce sold in the stores comes from California or Washington and lately a lot of it comes from Mexico as well. Local country markets bring in fruit and veggies from the Okanagan and lots of vegetables grow here too. Blackberries grow wild all over the Island. I was just at my neighbours house an hour or so ago. She has lettuce, red onions, potatoes and carrots growing right in amongst her flowers. Her lettuce looks lovely. People here also grow raspberries. My other brother grows lots and he always calls me to come down and pick some and - I always go. He's a very good brother. He also calls me to come and get bedding plants as he has his own greenhouse. I'm lucky.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's US subsidized farming that makes CDN produce more expensive and through the amazingly good deal we got in NAFTA Canada can't subsize our farmers or we violate the agreement.

Cool huh? We should get into more deals like that.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I know a farmer that grows turkeys. He has to say that he raises them and has a backward contract that patrons must sign before they can have a turkey which says that he only raised their turkey for them. He has to do this because he doesn't own a quota. Most small ranchers and farmers around me have to do business this way. It's only a matter of time I suppose until the bureaucratic oligarch shuts down this loophole.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Food is the only card left in the deck for the sun and earth worshippers. They have 3 Billion people to get rid of ASAP or this lifestyle is gone forever.

Strickland

May 18, 2009
We are able to buy most everything directly from the source.
The gov't only gets in the way when you leave a paper trail....cash only please. ;-)

Out here we have chickens for meat or fresh eggs. Emu, beef, turkey, chicken, sheep, etc....all at the farmers market. Fresh baking as well, of course.

The First Nations sell fresh fish when in season for a reasonable price. I would never buy fish in a grocery store...ewwww

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
It's US subsidized farming that makes CDN produce more expensive and through the amazingly good deal we got in NAFTA Canada can't subsize our farmers or we violate the agreement.

Cool huh? We should get into more deals like that.

Actually the agricultural subisdies in the US were put in place in answer to the ones instituted by the various members of the EU (that pre-date the actual economic union but have never been repealed) trying to make their industries competitive with other areas that have larger land bases and thus don't require the same level of productivity per unit of area (i.e. North America). NAFTA has little to do with it.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Why do 'they' keep raising the prices of food, 'because they can'.
I have adjusted my method of cooking and shopping in the last year, because
the price of food has risen so high.
It can be offset if one is smart about shopping for groceries, takes patience and
cooking large quantities, and freezing lots of foods, but it can be done.
And, don't buy things you 'want', just because you want it, if the price is ridiculous,
let it rot on the shelf.

sensualspirit

Thanks for this.

So where in BC are these farms located.

Since I'm still researching where to live, I want a town that is near these farms.

I wouldn't travel an hour just to buy food, that's just too much.

Thanks

Michelle

We are able to buy most everything directly from the source.
The gov't only gets in the way when you leave a paper trail....cash only please. ;-)

Out here we have chickens for meat or fresh eggs. Emu, beef, turkey, chicken, sheep, etc....all at the farmers market. Fresh baking as well, of course.

The First Nations sell fresh fish when in season for a reasonable price. I would never buy fish in a grocery store...ewwww