Where to move to in Canada

sensualspirit

Hi all,

I'm looking to leave Ontario after living here since '84.

I left the GTA last year to move to Windsor, & didn't realize how polluted both the water & air is. My body can't handle it.

Anyway, I was thinking of BC, but my main concern is all that rain & are people really happy out there b/c of all that rain? I know that Vancouver has a very bad reputation of being nasty like Torontonians & it's too expensive anyway, but I'm hoping to maybe find a city in BC where it rains only periodically. I'm not an expert when it comes to weather patterns & geography, but does all of BC get the same constant rain?

And if it's raining all the time, generally (not always) that means there's no sun, right?

So here is what I'm seeking:

1. Much warmer than Ontario although Windsor area wasn't bad, but it's out for obvious reasons.

I have to assume BC is the ONLY province that is warmer, right?

2. Rent is reasonable & I'm looking for an area that has modern houses or apartments & the landlords respect their tenants (clients).

3. Clean water & air (not perfect, but not like Windsor), GTA is heaven compared to this entire area.

4. Near nature is ok & welcome, so long as the town is developed & takes no more than 45-60 minutes to drive into a major city that has a Costco & health food stores, etc.

5. Prefer to be near a Superstore

6. Would love it if there were farms in the area for local produce.

7. Good (not junk) restaurants in the town & city nearby.

8. Reliable high speed (I am an entrepreneur who owns sites online, so I don't need to find a place where there are jobs, but I need quality phone & high speed internet service).

I think that's it for now

Thank you

Michelle

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hi all,

I left the GTA last year to move to Windsor, & didn't realize how polluted both the water & air is. My body can't handle it.

Anyway, I was thinking of BC, but my main concern is all that rain & are people really happy out there b/c of all that rain? I know that Vancouver has a very bad reputation of being nasty like Torontonians & it's too expensive anyway, but I'm hoping to maybe find a city in BC where it rains only periodically. I'm not an expert when it comes to weather patterns & geography, but does all of BC get the same constant rain? Of course not. I think it's funny that anyone would even think that. Sorry - I'm not meaning to offend you, I just really find that funny.

And if it's raining all the time, generally (not always) that means there's no sun, right? I live on Vancouver Island in Nanaimo and it is part of the Sunshine Coast. We actually get a fair amount of sun. Just not during the winter.

1. Much warmer than Ontario although Windsor area wasn't bad, but it's out for obvious reasons.
Warmer winter or summer or both? Warmer summer - it's very hot in the BC interior - Vernon, Kelowna, etc. Kelowna is the biggest city in that area. But it gets very hot there in summer. Snowy and cold in winter. Where I live we had our coldest winter ever last winter but it never got below about -3. We also had more snow than we've ever had but even so, our deepest was about 3 feet in some areas of the city. We do get a fair amount of rain in the winter generally speaking but we didn't get that much last winter. Not a lot of shovelling to do (unless you live whereever Juan lives in this city - he said he was sick and tired of shovelling snow but I really think that's because we don't usually shovel any).

I have to assume BC is the ONLY province that is warmer, right? Right.

2. Rent is reasonable & I'm looking for an area that has modern houses or apartments & the landlords respect their tenants (clients). You could be looking here then. I think rent in the Okanagan cities (especially Kelowna) could be quite high but depends on what you call reasonable. Some people think $1500.00 is reasonable and some would say that's really high.

3. Clean water & air (not perfect, but not like Windsor), GTA is heaven compared to this entire area. Doesn't come better then here and we live on the ocean to boot.

4. Near nature is ok & welcome, so long as the town is developed & takes no more than 45-60 minutes to drive into a major city that has a Costco & health food stores, etc. We have all those stores and a lot more.

5. Prefer to be near a Superstore I live very near Super Store so - it's here too.

6. Would love it if there were farms in the area for local produce.Bingo

7. Good (not junk) restaurants in the town & city nearby. Double Bingo

8. Reliable high speed (I am an entrepreneur who owns sites online, so I don't need to find a place where there are jobs, but I need quality phone & high speed internet service). You're on a roll! We've got it all.

Thank you

Michelle
www.cityofnanaimo.com Hope that works.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I moved to Winnipeg from Ontario in 2007.

I like Winnipeg.

But if it is endorsed by DurkaDurka, I may think about going back to Ontario.

sensualspirit

Funny Durka, I can't remember if Winnipeg or Sask is colder.

VanIsle - thank you for being so detailed.

Ok, a few things:

1. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks it rains all the time there & while I don't like snow, it doesn't snow every day in Canada (well some areas excluded of course), so in a week in the winter, how often does it rain?

And here, it can snow & when it stops the sun comes out or it can sort of be there even when snowing, so that makes a huge difference in how this affects people's moods if you are saying there is no sun in the winter at all.

2. Rent - $1,500 to me is very high (depending on the house & what it looks like, but you could even be talking about a condo if you were in Toronto).

I'm looking no more then $800. Can you recommend any real estate agents?

Did you say if there were modern places around there?

I know Kelowna is high, learned that years ago & when I saw warm, I don't mean hotter then 27. I used to like it really hot, but these days I am happy around 20-23 depending on wind & such.

3. Is it very humid there?

4. Here's what someone said about Naiamo after they moved everything from ON to BC. This scares me BIG TIME:

1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Nanaimo is filled with these suites. They are illegal, expensive and dangerous. The city seems unconcerned. My new landlady rented out the lower suite to a family with a baby

Her & her hubby or partner moved all teh way there based on pictures of this apartment.

They get there & the landlady had sold the house & photoshoped the pics to make the place look gorgeous.

It ended up being the upstairs of a house (I'm assuming) & there was a crying baby in the basement they never knew about.

Thanks & TTYL

Michelle

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lol I missed almost all your post, actually. Just saw it as I was strolling by and thought I'd plug the Kootenays. lol
Good climate here, not too hot, not too cold, not as much rain as Vancouver but more than the Okanagan.
Not sure about the stores you mentioned, but I am sure there's at least one somewhere in the Kootenays. Health food stores re a dime a dozen. Even Nelson with 12,000 people has one.
We have a lot of nature here and air/water is clean and fresh.
Slainte!
Les

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hi

Good for you checking things out before you take the plunge!

B.C. is still tops with me and if you don't like the idea of the rain forest - why not Vancouver Island - Victoria or one of the higher up towns and cities along the sunshine coast....there are members here who live there....

Hope you find the right place for happy living.

sensualspirit

Thanks Pockets, I take it you are a Beatles Fan? LOL

I've noticed there are more Michelles then ever before. Too many of us LOL, but only one me.

That will help when it comes to narrowing things down re: gender & age, but the jobs stuff I don't need.

Curiosity thanks for that.

So Vancouver Island is seperate & far away from Vancouver?

People have mentioned Victoria in passing, but it still sounds expensive.

Michelle

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Thanks Pockets, I take it you are a Beatles Fan? LOL

I've noticed there are more Michelles then ever before. Too many of us LOL, but only one me.

That will help when it comes to narrowing things down re: gender & age, but the jobs stuff I don't need.

Curiosity thanks for that.

So Vancouver Island is seperate & far away from Vancouver?

People have mentioned Victoria in passing, but it still sounds expensive.

Michelle
WEATHER AT NANAIMO AIRPORT.

That's the best way to answer your questions regarding our weather. Today is bright sunshine.
As for rent - I just threw a figure out there. I have not looked at rentals in quite sometime. I'm sure if you just query some of the local real estate companies (I think they are pretty much the same Canada wide - like say - ReMax Nanaimo/home rentals. I have also seen some ads on Craig's list - Nanaimo. Others might disagree with me - I would be searching for mid to North Nanaimo as far as a rental goes. You would be closer to all the things you are wanting to be near.
Victoria is expensive. Vancouver Island is quite separate from Vancouver. You have to get her via boat! A big ferry boat. It's a big island but - there isn't a road here from the mainland. There isn't much reason to leave once you are here anyway unless you are going on vacation somewhere. We do have airports as well. But - to get here by car, you must get on BC Ferries. You will love it here. Lots of people here from Ontario, Manitoba and Britain.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hi

Good for you checking things out before you take the plunge!

B.C. is still tops with me and if you don't like the idea of the rain forest - why not Vancouver Island - Victoria or one of the higher up towns and cities along the sunshine coast....there are members here who live there....

Hope you find the right place for happy living.
Curiosity:
That's what I am - curious. Is the picture in your avatar you or is it: Arianne Zucker as Nicole Walker

sensualspirit

OMG, the cheapest place is a 2 bdrm basement apt. for $1,300, that's nuts LOL

I also checked out CL & I see they love to exclude pictures which I find suspicious.

It looks like it's still fairly expensive, around the same price range as just outside Toronto. So that looks like that is out.

Thank you :)

Michelle

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hi all,

Anyway, I was thinking of BC, but my main concern is all that rain & are people really happy out there b/c of all that rain? I know that Vancouver has a very bad reputation of being nasty like Torontonians & it's too expensive anyway, but I'm hoping to maybe find a city in BC where it rains only periodically. I'm not an expert when it comes to weather patterns & geography, but does all of BC get the same constant rain?

And if it's raining all the time, generally (not always) that means there's no sun, right?

I have to assume BC is the ONLY province that is warmer, right?

2. Rent is reasonable & I'm looking for an area that has modern houses or apartments & the landlords respect their tenants (clients).

3. Clean water & air (not perfect, but not like Windsor), GTA is heaven compared to this entire area.

4. Near nature is ok & welcome, so long as the town is developed & takes no more than 45-60 minutes to drive into a major city that has a Costco & health food stores, etc.

5. Prefer to be near a Superstore

6. Would love it if there were farms in the area for local produce.

7. Good (not junk) restaurants in the town & city nearby.

8. Reliable high speed (I am an entrepreneur who owns sites online, so I don't need to find a place where there are jobs, but I need quality phone & high speed internet service).

Thank you

Michelle

I think Grand Forks (right on the U.S. boundary midway between the coast and Alberta) meets a lot of your criteria.
Population 4,000 with another 4,000 in the immediate surrounding area.
One hour drive to Colville Wa. that has Walmart and most shopping facilities
21/2 hour drive to Kelowna pop. 100,000 + or Spokane Wa. 400,000.
We are situated at the confluence of two rivers and have lots of outdoor activiites, hiking, golf, swimming. We have a theatre an arena and a curling rink and bowling allies.
We have 3 major grocery stores. Weather is hot in summer typically up to mid 30s in July and mild winters, seldom below minus 15C. Christina Lake, a beautiful resort is 20 km. east.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Move to Calgary. Decent winters. Not as damp as Ontario and there are chinooks. If you are an entrepreneur, it's one of the places to be.