Vancouver Island - Online business input

WindWalker

Electoral Member
May 22, 2008
French Creek, BC
I can't find a specific Business Forum so I hope this one is okay.

Is anyone operating an online business on the Island?

I am considering moving my base from Calgary to the Island within the next couple of years. I have suppliers in Vancouver and they would ship direct to customers in Canada so that wouldn't be a problem. However, for International shipments I need to have them sent to me and then forward them from wherever I am situated. One of my concerns is the cost and time involved in shipping.

Presently I use FedEx Ground and I can generally have shipments to U.S. customers within a 2 week timeframe. Do you think my timeframe would become longer and more expensive?

Any comments would be most welcome.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, I don't want to sound overly simplistic but, if FedEx is your business shipper, call them and ask. They'll have an idea of what you're shipping, where you're shipping from, costs, etc. They know their business (and your business) better than any of us here on the net are going to.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I can't find a specific Business Forum so I hope this one is okay.

Is anyone operating an online business on the Island?

I am considering moving my base from Calgary to the Island within the next couple of years. I have suppliers in Vancouver and they would ship direct to customers in Canada so that wouldn't be a problem. However, for International shipments I need to have them sent to me and then forward them from wherever I am situated. One of my concerns is the cost and time involved in shipping.

Presently I use FedEx Ground and I can generally have shipments to U.S. customers within a 2 week timeframe. Do you think my timeframe would become longer and more expensive?

Any comments would be most welcome.
I don't have an on line business. However - do you think that if you take a look at shipping costs on e-bay it would give you a good sense of time and cost. I don't buy much from there but I have bought from places like bedding sales so they are obviously a business and you can click on postage and see exactly what your costs and timing will be. Those are for the people who use exact shipping costs rather than the inflated prices. I guess it would also depend on where you live here. If you are in a main city (and there is really only two main cities) you would likely get it faster. (Victoria and Nanaimo)Ferry arrives in both if your parcels come by land but the rest of the places do not have BC Ferries arrive directly in their towns so after it arrives, it would then have to travel by land to where you are. I forgot that Courtenay (Comox) has a large airport so if your stuff comes by air - you could ship to there.

WindWalker

Electoral Member
May 22, 2008
French Creek, BC
I don't have an on line business. However - do you think that if you take a look at shipping costs on e-bay it would give you a good sense of time and cost. I don't buy much from there but I have bought from places like bedding sales so they are obviously a business and you can click on postage and see exactly what your costs and timing will be. Those are for the people who use exact shipping costs rather than the inflated prices. I guess it would also depend on where you live here. If you are in a main city (and there is really only two main cities) you would likely get it faster. (Victoria and Nanaimo)Ferry arrives in both if your parcels come by land but the rest of the places do not have BC Ferries arrive directly in their towns so after it arrives, it would then have to travel by land to where you are. I forgot that Courtenay (Comox) has a large airport so if your stuff comes by air - you could ship to there.

Thank you Island.

I do keep an eye on eBay sellers for many reasons and the Victoria and Nanaimo information is certainly helpful.

Karrie - FedEx themselves can give me good info but I was hoping to get some comments from those with "boots on the ground" if you know what I mean. Corporations have a tendency to tell you what you want to hear rather than what it is.