Newbie alert, moving to Vancouver

Beckio

Oct 31, 2008
UK
Hiya,

I'm Becky and I live in Bristol, UK.

I'm planning on coming over to Vancouver for 6-12 months to work next year, something I've wanted to do for a long while but have only just built up the courage to do.

I've heard how beautiful Vancouver is and I'm very excited.

I've a few questions, if you could find some time to answer them I would be very grateful.

Where in Vancouver is best to live? the plan at the moment is to try and get by on bar work so I can spend time looking around the city etc.

What's public transport like? will someone with no sense of direction be able to navigate using public transport?

Are there any social sites for Vancouver? I've tried google, but I'm not having very much luck. I'd like to have at least one person that I *know* when I get out there.

Any other advice you might have for working and living in Vancouver would be brilliant.

Thanks

Becky :smile:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Alas, I live far away from Vancouver but there are a lot of knowledgable folks here that can help you.:smile:

I think they are all out Trick-or-Treating right now, but I am sure they will be around later.:lol:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Alas, I live far away from Vancouver but there are a lot of knowledgable folks here that can help you.:smile:

I think they are all out Trick-or-Treating right now, but I am sure they will be around later.:lol:

You'll love Van, very diverse.
I was born in North Van.
scratch

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Hiya,

I'm planning on coming over to Vancouver for 6-12 months to work next year, something I've wanted to do for a long while but have only just built up the courage to do.

I've a few questions, if you could find some time to answer them I would be very grateful.

Where in Vancouver is best to live? the plan at the moment is to try and get by on bar work so I can spend time looking around the city etc.

What's public transport like? will someone with no sense of direction be able to navigate using public transport?

Are there any social sites for Vancouver? I've tried google, but I'm not having very much luck. I'd like to have at least one person that I *know* when I get out there.

Any other advice you might have for working and living in Vancouver would be brilliant.

Thanks

Hi Becky,

Its a crowded big city in a drop dead gorgeous location.
Transit is mainly by bus and you will need a schedule and maps.
Very bicycle friendly however it rains a fair bit (pretty much like the UK)
It is a very expensive place to live by Canadian standards.
If you are going to support your self with bar work you may end up a bit tight for cash on occasion.
You will probably need to live with roommates in order to afford an apartment, rent is costly in Van.
World class nightlife and restaurants.
World class outdoor activities abound.
You might want to check up on costs and availabilities for accomodations in a youth hostel or YWCA.
There is a forum on Discover Vancouver but its pretty wacky.

There are a ton of expat girls and guys working in the pubs and clubs and on the ski hills you just need to get connected with them.

Its a great city, you will love it.
Cheers
Trex

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Hi Becky,

Its a crowded big city in a drop dead gorgeous location.
Transit is mainly by bus and you will need a schedule and maps.
Very bicycle friendly however it rains a fair bit (pretty much like the UK)
It is a very expensive place to live by Canadian standards.
If you are going to support your self with bar work you may end up a bit tight for cash on occasion.
You will probably need to live with roommates in order to afford an apartment, rent is costly in Van.
World class nightlife and restaurants.
World class outdoor activities abound.
You might want to check up on costs and availabilities for accomodations in a youth hostel or YWCA.
There is a forum on Discover Vancouver but its pretty wacky.

There are a ton of expat girls and guys working in the pubs and clubs and on the ski hills you just need to get connected with them.

Its a great city, you will love it.
Cheers
Trex

I will back that up.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Hiya,

Thanks

Curiosity begs.....Good Day Becky,
I would like to know how you came to be known as "Beckio"?
Sincerely,
scratch

Beckio

Oct 31, 2008
UK
Scratch, My friend Anna stared sending me parcels (for Birthdays and Christmas) addressed to Beckio and it's just stuck.

Thanks for all the advice, I will check out the forum on Discover Vancouver.

I'm hoping to have some money behind me before I come over so that will top me up if I need it, I'm also planning on looking for a room mate before I leave for Canada, so that will hopefully reduce costs down.

Bristol is very expensive, so I know how to budget ;)

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Scratch, My friend Anna stared sending me parcels (for Birthdays and Christmas) addressed to Beckio and it's just stuck.

Thanks for all the advice, I will check out the forum on Discover Vancouver.

I'm hoping to have some money behind me before I come over so that will top me up if I need it, I'm also planning on looking for a room mate before I leave for Canada, so that will hopefully reduce costs down.

Bristol is very expensive, so I know how to budget ;)
Beckio,
Another piece of advice. Look for or ask about a magazine called "Our Canada". Try your local news-stand, tobacco store, or a book store.
Try the following site: Our Canada - Where readers share their stories

It helped a young girl from Holland find a place to live in Halifax. She was even written up by the magazine. She is a member of CanCon, her handle `avril-wheely`.

Sincerely,
scratch

Beckio

Oct 31, 2008
UK
Maybe here to Beckio

1. BritsAbroad Official Site

Visit the official Britsabroad
    website for British expats now!
    Brits Abroad - British Expats Forum
  2. Living in Canada - Forum

Talk About Life in Canada
    Join Our Friendly Expat Forum
    www.ExpatFocus.com/DiscussCanada

Brilliant, thanks Trex.

Scratch, thanks for the info, I will look out for the magazine.

Everyone, all the advice you've given has been absolutly brilliant, and I want you to know that I do really appreciate the help :smile: :cool: