Nanaimo, BC

abmom

Apr 19, 2007
Is it a safe place to raise a family? My husband said there are a lot of crime and drugs there. I like that it's a city but still not too big.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Crime and drugs are everywhere so maybe look at schools, real estate and cost of living to make a good decision for your family. Good luck.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Is it a safe place to raise a family? My husband said there are a lot of crime and drugs there. I like that it's a city but still not too big.
You didn't get much help here did you? It is a lovely city. Like all places it has it's drawbacks so if you are still thinking about moving here - yes - there are drugs but show me a place there isn't. If you live in old town (south Nanaimo) there is some theft happening there but again - show me a place where there is not theft. I live in the north end and I'm sure we are not crime free but - it's all pretty safe here. I have never heard of a bad incident in this end of town and I have lived here since the year 2002. It's a great place to live.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I am a relatively new Islander. About eleven years ago my wife and I moved to Gabriola Island. Gabriola is a small island about five or six kilometers out of Nanaimo harbour. We enjoyed a lot of things about Gabriola but after a few years we decided that the isolation of two separate ferries to get us home or get the kids over for a visit was just too much. Going on five years ago we moved to Nanaimo and we love the place. Our kids are grown up but if we were doing it again Nanaimo is definitely where we would choose to raise kids.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Nanaimo! Love their bars!

You got that straight. My favourite dessert. Unfortunately, I have developed an allergy to sugar and one bite will drive me nuts for 4 - 5 days. I will still always be thankful to the inventor for the many years I got to enjoy that delicacy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I raised my family there (Chase River) for four years, but that was back in the early 70s and never once looked down the business end of a Saturday Night Special but my kids were a little small to be getting into mischief, but I'd hazard a guess that Nanaimo is about as safe as you are realistically going to get these days.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You got that straight. My favourite dessert. Unfortunately, I have developed an allergy to sugar and one bite will drive me nuts for 4 - 5 days. I will still always be thankful to the inventor for the many years I got to enjoy that delicacy.
Then make them from "Splenda" - it measures the same and takes the place of sugar. Okay to have once in awhile. If you don't bake - find someone who will do it for you.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Back in the 70s there were about 17 of them between Cassidy and Lantzville, and I was in them all with the possible exception of the Somerset.
hahaha - Spade has probably never been to Nanaimo!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
How many pubs there now I.P.? Is the old Wheatsheaf still going strong? What about the Cranberry? There used to be three right on Haliburton St.
I don't see the Cranberry listed in the phone book. The Wheatsheaf seems to still be here. I think I have been there on our way out RVing. I never actually looked at the name. :lol: I actually thought people were calling it the Wee Chief! I am surprized to see the real name 8O. From what I can tell there are 24 pubs. I guess that doesn't include some of the hotels as I know they are missing the Well (Wellington). The places you mention are a long ways from my home. We do go out to the pub sometimes (used to go every Thursday til I went back to work) but the main pub we go to is within walking distance. Just for that reason - I'll keep the name to myself. Oops - just before I hit the submit button, I see in the white pages a pub called the Cranberry Arms in Cedar so I guess the answer is yes - it is still here. Have you been to the Crow and Gate? It's out around some of those places too.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't see the Cranberry listed in the phone book. The Wheatsheaf seems to still be here. I think I have been there on our way out RVing. I never actually looked at the name. :lol: I actually thought people were calling it the Wee Chief! I am surprized to see the real name 8O. From what I can tell there are 24 pubs. I guess that doesn't include some of the hotels as I know they are missing the Well (Wellington). The places you mention are a long ways from my home. We do go out to the pub sometimes (used to go every Thursday til I went back to work) but the main pub we go to is within walking distance. Just for that reason - I'll keep the name to myself. Oops - just before I hit the submit button, I see in the white pages a pub called the Cranberry Arms in Cedar so I guess the answer is yes - it is still here. Have you been to the Crow and Gate? It's out around some of those places too.

Don't remember actually being in the Crow & Gate on Yellow Point Rd. although I've driven past it many time. I once owned a piece of property about 4 miles out Y.P. Rd.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I am a relatively new Islander. About eleven years ago my wife and I moved to Gabriola Island. Gabriola is a small island about five or six kilometers out of Nanaimo harbour. We enjoyed a lot of things about Gabriola but after a few years we decided that the isolation of two separate ferries to get us home or get the kids over for a visit was just too much. Going on five years ago we moved to Nanaimo and we love the place. Our kids are grown up but if we were doing it again Nanaimo is definitely where we would choose to raise kids.
Hello neighbour. Nice to know you and your wife like it here too.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Don't remember actually being in the Crow & Gate on Yellow Point Rd. although I've driven past it many time. I once owned a piece of property about 4 miles out Y.P. Rd.
It's a nice place - beautiful property surrounding it but I think it's the place where you have to reserve your dinner or you are out of luck. It stops us from going there.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Nanaimo is nice, and lots of countryside for horses too, if you
're interested.
I live just up the road in Courtenay/Comox area, and anywhere you settle on
the island is great, even Victoria if you're looking for a bigger city.
We go to nanaimo once a month or so, for more shopping choices, and a nice
drive there and back, and lunch out.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Nanaimo is nice, and lots of countryside for horses too, if you
're interested.
I live just up the road in Courtenay/Comox area, and anywhere you settle on
the island is great, even Victoria if you're looking for a bigger city.
We go to nanaimo once a month or so, for more shopping choices, and a nice
drive there and back, and lunch out.

Yeah, Nanaimo probably has more shopping malls per capita than any other place in North America which sure makes it attractive to the ladies.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah, Nanaimo probably has more shopping malls per capita than any other place in North America which sure makes it attractive to the ladies.

Which is probably the reason it has the most pubs per capita..........the men have to go somewhere while waiting for the women to do their shopping :lol::lol::lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Which is probably the reason it has the most pubs per capita..........the men have to go somewhere while waiting for the women to do their shopping :lol::lol::lol:

well, at least we have something to show for our day. :lol: My husband does a little
browsing, (very little), usually just walmart, then a snooze in the car.
He can never figure out why the malls have so many women's shops and no
hunting and fishing stores, hmmmm, I wonder, there must be 20 women for
every 1 man, the malls just don't have that 'rough and ready' atmosphere.