BC wines and wineries

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Lets hear your favorites, perhaps a nice lil description and sales pitch in the "sideways" format :lol: crisp, fruity and clean :p Course we have no ice wines here, we don't get cold enough 8)

A teaser....

"Vancouver Island’s red wines are also delicious. Pinot Noir, a sophisticated medium-bodied red wine, has probably had the most success on the Island; the finicky vines used for this wine seem to feel right at home in Vancouver Island’s wine region."

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I like to buy Ontario wines, but I think I will pick up a BC wine next time.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Probably my favorite white wine is Chardonnay. There are several wineries in B.C. that produce a good Chardonnay. My pick in dorder of preference would be: Jackson Triggs, Sawmill Creek, Peller Estates.

For a nice full bodied red I like Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon. Jackson Triggs, Sawmill Creek, both make a fine Merlot. Mission hill probably turns out as good a Cabernet Sauvignon as anyone.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I'm with you on the Mission Hill Cabernet Sauvignon Juan, I just discovered it about 6-8 months ago now. I plan on it being one of the 'select' bottles over the holidays.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
If you two ever get to Kelowna i suggest you go for the Mission Hills wine tasting tour .Lots of good grape and it really is a beautiful spot over looking the lake 8)

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Thanks for the wonderful suggestion. I was there many many years ago, long before they changed over their vines, it was the only place you could get something to drink on a Sunday, had to do the tour first, lol

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Jan and I have been to most of the wineries in the Okanagan and the only one we didn't particularely enjoy was "Quail's Gate". Someone else may like their wines, but I felt they were all a bit harsh. Maybe the wines were a bit young? :wink:

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
I think Pelee Island makes good wine, they are on the left coast no??
Jackson Triggs -shiraz is great. I have live in the middle of wine country in Ontario wines for 7 yrs. Worked at a winery for 3 yrs. I'm sort of stuck on Ontario wines, because I can get it so cheap. I'll have to venture out and try a few more types of B.C.'s fine wines.

Ice wine is great , but only if you have a real big sweet tooth and a fat wad of $$$$. Those grapes are a B#$!CH to pick with frozen hands, and only produce 1 drop of usable juice per grape......hence the price.

:drunken:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"I think Pelee Island makes good wine, they are on the left coast no?? "

No, that's Ontario.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
:error:
O k I'm a :tard: it's just down the highway. I really need to get out more. Small town life is a little too comfortable. Perhaps I'll start reading the bottles I drink from. :roll:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
What small town would that be? I live in London, and I'm from out that way, kinda....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I haven't heard of it, but I looked it up on the map. I was out that way earlier in the year...sure are lots of grape fields!

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
So does anybody have any ideas on how i can kill these grape vine in my yard 8O The bastards won't die awful wine grapes the kids won't even eat them and there a pain in the ass to clean up and keep trimmed :x

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
:lol:

They looked like fields of grapes to me!!

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)
Re: RE: BC wines and wineries

bhoour said:
:error:
O k I'm a :tard: it's just down the highway. I really need to get out more. Small town life is a little too comfotable. Perhaps I'll start reading the bottles I drink from. :roll:

ROFL!

Yep, Pelee Island is right next to Ohio's islands in Lake Erie. I'd really like to visit there sometime; I hear Pelee's beautiful. I've been to South Bass Island several times, and it isn't far from there.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
Mr M.......I took an axe to one in my yard, this past summer. It had grown up into a evergreen about 50 feet high ( no joke). I'm pretty sure I killed it by chopping the heck out of the base of it. As i am typing this, I'm awaiting the spring thaw, to see if that sucker is dead. I have the death of about 3 more planned for next summer. :twisted:
They are out of control.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
Re: RE: BC wines and wineries

Jay said:
:lol:

They looked like fields of grapes to me!!

Well ,they are........they just go by a different name.. :wink: .you should come back in the spring and do a tasting & tour, just make sure you have a D.D. to get you back to your place!!