2010 Logo - Ilanaaq

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
New Vancouver Olympics Logo Unveiled

The Vancouver Olympics have a new logo, inspired by the peoples of Canada’s Arctic Circle.

“It’s a strong, very strong symbol for Canada,” IOC Coordination Commission chairman Rene Fasel tells Around the Rings from Vancouver.

The design is modeled after an inukshuk, which are stone monuments created by the Inuits of the Arctic Circle.

Used for thousands of years as a landmark and navigation tool, the inukshuk in the Vancouver logo appears to be a human form with outstretched arms, so it is also considered symbolic of northern hospitality and friendship.

Elena Rivera MacGregor and designer Gonzalo Alatorre
of Rivera Design Group in Vancouver created the logo, which they call Ilanaaq, the Inuit word for friend.

Colors include coast forest green, glacier blue, ocean blue, maple leaf red and alpen glow yellow.

http://www.aroundtherings.com/article.php?pid=1393

I like it!

Canucks fan

Apr 22, 2005
I liked the old logo WAY better. I don't mind this one, but what the hell does it have to do with BC?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: 2010 Logo - Ilanaaq

Canucks fan said:
I liked the old logo WAY better. I don't mind this one, but what the hell does it have to do with BC?

Nothing.

It looks more like "chinese writing".

Actually it looks like "shit" if you want my honest opinion. I thought it would of had a whale or "spirit bear" theme.

But it is just as much Canada's Olympics as it is BC's so I guess that could be a reason.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Why the F..k does everything we do on the world stage have to be native art how about some other race's art :evil:

Canucks fan

Apr 22, 2005
mrmom2 said:
Why the F..k does everything we do on the world stage have to be native art how about some other race's art :evil:

The thing about this though is it's not even BC native art! It's inuit art. I'm hating it even more now.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
Vanni Fucci said:
Looks like Mr. Bill from SNL... :p
Oh noooooooooooooooo.... it doesn't. :p

I just read in the paper that it was inspired by the Inukshuk in English Bay.

Even if it does look Chinese, that's okay... Vancouver has a very large Chinese community.

young4evr

Apr 24, 2005
I love it, BC is known for their native art and culture. I believe they have chosen the correct logo for the 2010 games.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
How's about that logo eh?

Personally if the Olympics were being held in Yellowknife or Iqaluit the logo may fit. (without the smile of course)

I would figure a BC logo would reflect the culture/land that it is composed of, like a totem pole if they want to stick with the native motif or mountain wildlife? Well I'm not a judge but who's to say?

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
I don't know if you head down the Trans Canada to the border of Manitoba and Ontario ...you see Inukshuks placed all around the Sheild there. I think it is a good symbol for the Canadian held Olympics.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I like it except for the mouth. They should have left off giving it a mouth.

Somebody compared it to Gumby. With the mouth it is a strong contender for Gumby resemblence

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I don't know if you head down the Trans Canada to the border of manitoba and Ontario ...you see Inukshuks placed all around the Sheild there. I think it is a good symbol for the Canadian held Olympics.
True, I've seen the inukshuks in Manitoba. I forgot about the Inuit population there, oops. Let me rephrase that: Yellowknife, whitehorse, Iqaluit or winnipeg, an inukshuk for a logo would suit those fine (or a giant misquoto). I'm just thinking that BC could've used something more local.

The mouth should go though, they're right it does look like gumby.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
It is not really getting much approval, especially from talk radio and tv stations talking to people in the streets.

They need to go back to the drawing board on this one, but that will never happen. I know it is a Canadian Olympics but it should reflect BC somehow.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
I agree the mouth should go too....While I agree there is a certain pride factor in holding the Olympics in a specific city...the city is the representative of the host country.