Are there differences?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Is this attitude just in the interior? Or is it just me?

I had spent some time In Kelowna when I was doing school, and I found that many of the people were rather aloof/stuck up/or high on themselves. All in all it wasn't a nice experience.

I've visited Trail and found the people there to be more down to earth, and I have heard that Vancouver people are much different also.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Are there differences

I have lived in Fort St. John, Kamloops and Prince George the common theme is BC ends at Hope.

They (Not Kamloops so much) were jealous, hostile and hateful toward anyone from Vancouver or the Island. I don't know why.

I unfortunatly lived in Fort St. John for six years and they had a terrible hate for Lower-mainlanders and Islanders. They would refer the lower mainland people as thieves etc. They thought Vancouver stole all their Oil and Forestry money etc and that they belonged in Alberta not BC. A bunch of unhappy people if you ask me.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
there are huge differences. a lot of people that now occupy the interior have migrated from other parts of canada...namely the prairies. they bring with them a farmer mentality.....and i have witnessed it over the years especially in penticton - gawd awful place - where you even think about thinking outside the box and you are run out of town! they loved preston though, and always had a sold out show for him!! yup, they don't like those foreigners who were actually born and raised here, that's fer sure

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Hey don't lump us loopers in that gang :x Kelowna,s full of people that think there shit don't stink >We here hate Kelowna The traffic there is shitty the lake turns into a slew and the people think they live in Wets Van or something :p Us loopers are a pretty easy going bunch just ask Ten Packs :wink: As far as Van goes i lived there for 22 years and i will never go back.We have the best freshwater fishing in BC big Pand the camping is out of this world so come on up we welcome all :wink:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Are there differences

Some people on the Island are extremely strange.....

I grew up on Vancouver Island......I found that people who choose isolation tend to be less friendly and more suspicious. When I visit the island now I tend to receive many hostile stares.

Mind you not all those on the island are like this....just those who are their to get away from "the big city"

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
PEI is gorgeous! i loved it there 'cause of all the neat architecture...and the red sand! lobster meals were pretty good too! and the beautiful green fields and blue sky. my god, it is one pretty island i tell ya! yeah, ol' pea and i had better get serious about a road trip sometime soon...so much to see and so little time!

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Hey don't lump us loopers in that gang Mad Kelowna,s full of people that think there shit don't stink >We here hate Kelowna

thank god! kelowna to me seems to be a real 'twinkie' kinda place. i don't think i would last long there. have lots of relatives in the area, but it kinda looks plastic. now kamloops is a great place - a real town - with real industry. not just this tourism garbage. i love kamloops, especially with the river running thru it and those beautiful rolling hills. we are pretty lucky in canada to have so much scenery...where else can you go from an island, to a large city, to a desert, to scrub land, to forests - all that in one province! let along heading across the great nation to see everything in between 8)

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
It's a good trip if you use the road. My last road trip by motorbike took me from Pei to Kelowna. Lots of fun, but drivers are stupid once you hit the maritimes. There is a difference between stupid drivers and aggresive. You'll notice it when you come by this way.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Potatoes and lobster two of my favorite foods yum .My wifes been to PEI and she loved it but i've never been.We've put it on our list of places to go when we drag the kids across Canada next year we hope!

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
yeah mom, take the trip with the kids, it is amazing just how vast this country is. ask pea about her road trips across country - she has lots to say on the subject too 8)

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
oh yeah, and don't forget those wonderful lobster suppers. my god, i am drooling here at my desk.......those homemade biscuits. you knows what else i use to love was the hot gingerbread with the lemon sauce on top. acck, i gotta stop this! we use to get that at a little diner out near peggy's cove. it was unbelievable. i had never eaten hot gingerbread before then, and i love it!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I thought the guest sounded alot like galaniomama :p I would really like to see the atlantic provinces, especially newfoundland. And yes I have been across canada many times, but only as far a Quebec. One trip in particular I remember was on the train. I think I was 17 than, school had just gotten out for the summer, and we had made merry celebrating 8O I was not home at the appointed curfew and my mother told me I was grounded for the rest of the summer. :twisted: So I emptied out my bank account from working every darn weekend so I could enjoy a fun summer, and I got a train ticket and headed to grandma's house on the shores of lake huron....ehm...I guess I should have told my parents...but I was miffed :p

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Newfoundland is really nice... hard to get to though. If you're in the Atlantic provinces, check out the Fundy area of N.B., and make sure you go to Halifax! One of the nicest cities around imho!

I was in Comox area a few months ago. I left the cold & snow in T.O., and you lucky buggers are out golfing in shorts & tee shirts! The sight of the mountains out there always blows me away.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
jo, I've spent the last 33 years in either Vernon or Kamloops, and have close friends in Summerland. mrmom is right. Kelowna is full of self-centred, latte'-slurping, Volvo/Lexus driving, tofu-munchers who think their city is Paradise - when in fact, its the Surrey of the Okanagan! Mile after mile after friggin' mile of strip-malls, car-lots, burger-joints and gas stations.

I wouldnt live there for a million dollars, and a bj a day..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Also, it's a little-known fact that 80% of the people in Kelowna didn't intend to move there - they were just driving through on vacation. But by the time they finally got to the bridge, they were RETIRED..... :lol: