Canadian Princess Leaving Ukee-Final Voyage

bill barilko
Long a fixture in the village @ the edge of the rainforest countless sportfishermen spent some fine nights there in the past myself included.

EDIT-A little more detail on the ship's long history

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...bour-1.3789402
Last edited by bill barilko; Oct 4th, 2016 at 02:47 PM..

taxslave
I didn't know the old girl still floated.

EagleSmack
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
The REAL Princess of Canada

Ludlow
it's a lovely boot

pgs
To bad , It was in Ukie harbour for a long time .

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

To bad , It was in Ukie harbour for a long time .

The new owners of the resort didn't want anything to do with the hulk they have plans for quite a different business model.

Curious Cdn
I rode her once, from Seattle to Victoria about fifty years ago. Those old CPR ferries were quite nice, in their time.

... sorry. Not that one. It was another Princess!
Last edited by Curious Cdn; Oct 5th, 2016 at 05:32 AM..

EagleSmack
They should make it a man made reef.

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

They should make it a man made reef.

It takes years for that to happen the hull needs to be stripped of almost everything and it's always volunteers doing the work then a suitable place needs to be found and then there's the politics of obtaining Gov't approval; as it happens there's so shortage of hulks so no need to sweat sending most to the knackers.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

It takes years for that to happen the hull needs to be stripped of almost everything and it's always volunteers doing the work then a suitable place needs to be found and then there's the politics of obtaining Gov't approval; as it happens there's so shortage of hulks so no need to sweat sending most to the knackers.

Too bad you can't park it in Lawrence, Ma. They'd strip that baby overnight for free.

taxslave

The new owners of the resort didn't want anything to do with the hulk they have plans for quite a different business model.

Smart people. That rust bucket was a liability.

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Smart people. That rust bucket was a liability.

If you look closely @ the pics of the resort when the ship is leaving you can see the roofs need work-and so does a everything else-the owners OBMG put next to nothing into the place in the past 30 years and in a climate like that.....

So the new owners have their work cut out for them but with tourism in the area booming they're well positioned to reap some benefits if they do things right.

darkbeaver
How much brass is included?

What a great house it would make.

How many tons is she, and her dimensions please.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

How much brass is included?

What a great house it would make.

How many tons is she, and her dimensions please.

She was built on Lake Huron at Collingwood, 1932.

1295 ton displacement.

She's probably loaded with brass ... 1932

https://www.shipindex.org/ships/william_j_stewart (external - login to view)

Also, from Collingwood, she is almost certainly would have a triple expansion reciprocating engine .. a "Clydesider" ... more and more brass!
Last edited by Curious Cdn; Oct 5th, 2016 at 07:13 PM..

darkbeaver
What a fuukin palace, steam rules. Miles of cabins, good wiring,home sweet home, jnust needs a concret harbour.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

What a fuukin palace, steam rules. Miles of cabins, good wiring,home sweet home, jnust needs a concret harbour.

Well, there is that little asbestos thing, ....

If you're like me, you were cuckooned in asbestos from time to time.

I had a bout of pneumonia last winter and they tested me for asbestosis, lung cancer, etc. (a keen, young trainee doctor)

darkbeaver
i AM IMUNE TO ASBESTOS,. BECAUSE OF MY TRAINING

ENGINE ROOMS IN SHIPS, JUST EWNOUGH TO CHANGE MY MIND, i WAS A SLAVE TO DIESEL ENGINES, START THEM FEED THEM MAKE SURE THEWY'RE COMFEE ALL DAY, WE WORRIED ABOUT u-BOATS

tHE gERMANS SUNK MILLIONS OF TONS OF WAR EFFORT IN THE NORTH UMMBERLAND STRAIGHT WELL INTO THE SEVENTYS,

A little known bit of history, the last Nazi U boat was sliced in half by the Ptince Edward a war ferrry. There were no survivors , we shot the lot. The true end of ww2

1973 as I recall, back in the dark ages.

Climb up to the wheelhouse every morning for coffee, look at the sea, batter down the hatches, rough seas ahead, eat more veggies

It has real; good hand rails, you cfouyld be mobile, again

God save Atlantis.

I always wanted to live in a ship' Two or three decks, I like the guts miost heatand thrust/we're not allowed above decks, all our solar rads are poor leftovers, black gang we were., the dirty peo[ple in the heart opf the serpent. jesus christ

Curious Cdn
Bruvver stoker!

darkbeaver
Black gang. We rule. Those were the good old days, shovel yopur way otta trouble, the wind was powerlkess, steam rtules

pgs

If you look closely @ the pics of the resort when the ship is leaving you can see the roofs need work-and so does a everything else-the owners OBMG put next to nothing into the place in the past 30 years and in a climate like that.....

So the new owners have their work cut out for them but with tourism in the area booming they're well positioned to reap some benefits if they do things right.

That is prime waterfront the owners will do fine whatever they do .