Nine bears slaughtered in Revelstoke

spaminator
Nine bears slaughtered in Revelstoke
By Michael Platt, Calgary Sun
First posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 07:00 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, August 21, 2016 07:33 PM EDT
Happiness is definitely not a warm gun — not when you’re the conservation officer forced to shoot nine bears in three days, all because a town is sloppy, lazy and shortsighted.
Dan Bartol is that officer, and Revelstoke, B.C. the town — and Bartol is clearly livid with what he says is a mountain community basically baiting local bears with easy-access garbage and plentiful fruit trees, leading to a tragic conflict between humans and wildlife.
“The common thread here is garbage and fruit trees, and that’s creating attractants for bears to come in to the town, because there’s nothing to stop them — there’s no deterrent at all,” said Bartol.
“The bears know there’s easy food to be found, and they come down looking for the fruit trees that everyone has to have for some reason, and they get into garbage that’s not secured properly, and then this happens.”
It was Bartol who was forced to publicly shoot a black bear in downtown Revelstoke last week, after a local business left open pails of waste food beside a back-alley dumpster, where the hungry bruin could easily feast.
And that’s exactly the kind of lazy, ignorant behaviour that has Bartol so upset with many Revelstoke residents — because open garbage is basically a death sentence for the bear that finds it.
“It’s especially frustrating when you know how easily it could be avoided,” said Bartol.
“It’s frustrating that this keeps happening.”
Like most bears that start to associate humans with easy food, the bear that found the trash was obviously no longer frightened by people, making it especially dangerous in the crowded centre of town — and even after a confrontation with a local dog, the emboldened bruin refused to stop guarding the easy meal.
And so Bartol was forced to kill the bear, to protect the public and to ensure no further conflict with an animal that posed a threat, all because Revelstoke can’t get its literal crap together.
“There was no choice, “ said Bartol, who is based in neighbouring Golden, B.C..
And that was just one of nine problem bears killed in and around Revelstoke over three days, including a mother bear and two cubs, in what Bartol has described as the worst week of his career — and the carnage is expected to resume this week, after more reports of trash-minded black bears over the weekend.
“I’ve had about a dozen more reports already,” said Bartol.
No provincial conservation officer joins the service hoping to pull the trigger, and Bartol is suffering the consequences of a town that’s failing to protect the wildlife around it, despite plenty of lip-service about being bear aware and environmentally conscious.
Like many other B.C. towns, Revelstoke is failing when it comes to protecting bears from their own natural instinct to find the easiest food source possible, and unlike places like Canmore and Banff in Alberta, where fruit trees have been removed and all garbage is restricted to bear proof containers, Revelstoke’s relaxed attitude is killing wildlife.
It’s all words, and little action.
“The city encourages residents to be responsible with securing garbage, obeying bylaws, recycling, harvesting fruit and composting,” wrote acting Revelstoke Mayor Trevor English in a statement to the local media following last week’s bear deaths.
But as Bartol will tell you, the reality is a town where some people do their utmost to save the bears, only to have their efforts nullified by sloppy neighbours and businesses, who leave food waste in easily accessed or open containers, and allow fruit trees to become laden with tasty bear bait.
Only one Revelstoke neighbourhood has bear-proof bins, and despite a remarkable success record of zero nuisance bears in Johnson Heights, the town of 7,000 has failed to follow through in implementing the same program for other homes.
Like Fernie, B.C., which killed more than 20 black bears in 2015, Revelstoke is relying on public education, when it’s obvious zero tolerance and harsh fines is the answer.
Until Revelstoke acts to protect the wildlife around it, it will be up to officers like Bartol to protect Revelstoke — and that means more dead bears.
“It’s outrageous,” said Bartol.
mplatt@postmedia.com (external - login to view)
Nine bears slaughtered in Revelstoke | MICHAEL PLATT | Canada | News | Toronto S

Danbones
+1
tell the guy, slaughter as many bears as you want to
just don't use a spear

let me tell you: once a bear eats well at your house, you become a regular stop

TenPenny
+1
Why not let the town suffer the consequences of their own laziness? Let the bears be, if they kill a few people, too bad, so sad.

taxslave
Leave the bears alone, the people can stay indoors when bears are having dinner.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Let the bears eat the people. They are just BCers anyways. No great loss.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Let the bears eat the people. They are just BCers anyways. No great loss.

almost Albertans.

petros
Quote:

The bears know there’s easy food to be found, and they come down looking for the fruit trees that everyone has to have for some reason, and they get into garbage that’s not secured properly, and then this happens.”

They know about the food but not the other bears that get shot?

That doesn't sound right.

Somewhere in the Monashees is a mastermind bear who spreads rumours of abundant food in town and saying "Don't worry about the Ranger Booboo"?

Danbones
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Leave the bears alone, the people can stay indoors when bears are having dinner.

the bears have this thing where they invite themselves over to dinner at someone's house
through any opening they can rip their way through

then you have to shoot them

MHz
+3
#9  Top Rated Post
How about fines for the residents who don't put the garbage away properly or clean up the fruit that falls off the trees. The fruit could even be taken to a quiet spot outside of town and the bears would visit that spot and stay out of town.

Danbones
I have heard of farmers doing that for wolves and it works quite well
sometimes the carnivorous become protective of the situation too
nothing gets on the north 40 with them on the fence
and it gets rid of harvest "waste" too

MHz
+2
The Forestry wanted to eliminate a pack of wolves that used a creek on my brother's farm so they put out some poisoned deer meat. Not long after there were dead birds all over the place and the wolves never touched the meat.

Danbones
Yeah,if they really want to know, they ought hire the oldest trapper
(or better yet trapper/farmer) they can find
and ask him what to do

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DanbonesView Post

Yeah,if they really want to know, they ought hire the oldest trapper
(or better yet trapper/farmer) they can find
and ask him what to do

And they'd say "shoot it".

Danbones
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

And they'd say "shoot it".

well there is a certain efficient precision to that solution
and it would certainly save on the collateral damage somwhat

and if it isn't a garbage bear yet ( berry fed is good)
bear meat will feed a lot of people well
damn it can taste mighty nice

bill barilko
+1
There is something that can be done but there's a certain amount of politics before the law is applied-see below

Dangerous Wildlife Protection Order

88.1 (1) In this section, "private dwelling" means a structure used solely as a private residence or a residential accommodation within any other structure.

(2) If a conservation officer believes on reasonable grounds that dangerous wildlife is or may be attracted to any land or premises other than a private dwelling, the conservation officer may, without a warrant, enter and search the land or premises.
(3) If a conservation officer believes on reasonable grounds that the existence or location of an attractant in, on or about any land or premises, other than in a private dwelling, poses a risk to the safety of any person because the attractant is attracting or could attract dangerous wildlife to the land or premises, the conservation officer may issue a dangerous wildlife protection order directing an owner, occupier or person in charge of that land or premises to contain, move or remove the attractant within a reasonable period of time specified in the order.
(4) Despite subsection (3), a dangerous wildlife protection order may not be made in respect of any of the following:
(a) a farm operation, as defined in section 1 of the Farm Practices Protection (Right to Farm) Act, that
(i) is conducted on, in or over land anywhere in British Columbia, and
(ii) meets the requirements set out in section 2 (2) (a) and (c) of that Act;
(b) a person who is engaging in trapping in accordance with all other applicable provisions of this Act and the regulations;
(c) a facility for the disposal of waste, that is operated in accordance with the Environmental Management Act by a municipality, as defined in section 1 (1) of that Act.
(5) A person to whom an order under subsection (3) is expressed to apply must comply with the order within the period of time specified in that order.
(6) For the purpose of ensuring that an order issued under subsection (3) is being, or has been, complied with, a conservation officer may, without a warrant, enter and search the land or premises other than a private dwelling that is affected by the order.
(7) A person commits an offence if the person neglects or refuses to comply with an order in accordance with subsection (5).

Locally the City of Coquitlam has had to enact ever more stringent laws about people leaving fruit out on old trees on the property-Bears know where the food is and it's the homeowner's responsibility to dispose of it correctly.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ants-1.3719678

darkbeaver
+2
They will one day shoot all the wild things because of the synthetic humans.

Danbones
round here the old folks say
feed a bear and you will have to shoot the bear
(there i guess i just said that too, so i am now officially old folks as well)
prevention is the best way

hopefully there is a balance between human rights, property rights, community rights, and animal rights too

then there are them that will paint honey on the ex's car

petros
+1

well there is a certain efficient precision to that solution
and it would certainly save on the collateral damage somwhat

and if it isn't a garbage bear yet ( berry fed is good)
bear meat will feed a lot of people well
damn it can taste mighty nice

Prairie bears love grain and do extensive crop damage.

Are they baited by man's oat crops?

Danbones
dunno about oats
Here the bears are mainly on shield land not crop land, which I am on the border of
round here its the black berries raspberries blue berries and cottages

Ludlow
Get Bearclaw Grizlap he'll take care of them farkin bears.

petros

dunno about oats
Here the bears are mainly on shield land not crop land, which I am on the border of
round here its the black berries raspberries blue berries and cottages

In fall when there are no berries they,ll eat grain. Lots of carbs and proteins.

skookumchuck
+2
Why do we still have not just a few bears but many? Back in the day we just shot any that hung around homes and presented a danger and oddly we never ran out of bears. It was just much safer until the "do not shoot anything" peeps (mostly female or wanna be) showed up.

darkbeaver
More garbage left arround perhaps. My brother and I were examining bear crap fifty feet from this chair couple of days ago. Full of black berry seed, so's mine.

MHz
Elephants can get drunk by eating fermented fruit, would that be the same for any animal, including bears. I know a few moonshiners that would vacum yards for almost free.

Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

More garbage left arround perhaps. My brother and I were examining bear crap fifty feet from this chair couple of days ago. Full of black berry seed, so's mine.

First bear tracks I ever saw had my brothers run away, they forgot to take me with them, I was about 3, the dog came back for me.

Danbones
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

sounds like you pulled up one of the bear's survey stakes
but hey...ought be a good eatin bear in a couple months
"sometimes you eats the bear, sometimes the bear eats you"
Jim Croce, Hard Time Losin' Man

Bears will expand to fit the available range and if they have no food where they are
they will start looking for it wherever they can find it
and they can find it

next thing you know, you are on THEIR land
lol
Last edited by Danbones; Aug 23rd, 2016 at 09:32 AM..

MHz
Since they retreat back into the hills for winter it would seem that the fruit trees are the same as the yearly salmon runs, that time of the year and getting fat is the goal rather than range expansion.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

almost Albertans.

Who? Black bears?