BC lowers speed limits on 2 highways

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
And while speed is decreasing in those two sections, government staff found crash rates increased in a total of 14 of the 33 sections of highway with raised speed limits.

Highway 1 from Hope to Cache Creek will return to 90 km/h from 100 km/h and Highway 5A from Princeton to Merritt will return to 80 km/h from 90.

Stone says on the rest of the 14 roads there will be changes including better signage and variable speed zones to lower speeds during times when roads are congested.

UBC professor of engineering Tarek Sayed analyzed the data as well and he found crashes are up 11 percent along sections of highway where speed limits were increased.

Province lowers speed limits on 2 highways after 11% jump in serious collisions - British Columbia - CBC News

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
In WV on their turnpike (southern part of I77 though their state) it is a winding mountainous road. At one time, for safety, they had the speed limit set @ 55MPH. They then took an unusual step and increased it to 70MPH (the state default) and found that the number of crashes dropped significantly. Most of the accidents it turns out were because people were trying to get by a slower vehicle. Of course this is 4 lane divided road. But I think they may find the number of people passing is increased with the lower speed limit which will increase the number of accidents.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In WV on their turnpike (southern part of I77 though their state) it is a winding mountainous road. At one time, for safety, they had the speed limit set @ 55MPH. They then took an unusual step and increased it to 70MPH (the state default) and found that the number of crashes dropped significantly. Most of the accidents it turns out were because people were trying to get by a slower vehicle. Of course this is 4 lane divided road. But I think they may find the number of people passing is increased with the lower speed limit which will increase the number of accidents.
That ain't exactly how it worked. They lowered the speed limit to 55 because the Federal government in the Carter years demanded it, under threat of withholding Federal highway funds. It was for saving gas. When that threat was lifted, they bumped it back up to the 70 that the highway was designed for.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I was always imagined some BC Liberal minister was driving back from the Kelowna with a backseat full of wine and missed their ferry. Got to a depressingly sober cabinet meeting and demanded they raise the speed limits.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I was always imagined some BC Liberal minister was driving back from the Kelowna with a backseat full of wine and missed their ferry. Got to a depressingly sober cabinet meeting and demanded they raise the speed limits.
A cabinet meeting sober?

Damn, you have a horrifying imagination, Cord!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That's what I'm saying! The minister went on a beer run and got back late. They had to increase the speed limit so it would never happen again.
Back in the day, the Persians wouldn't take any decision unless they discussed it sober, then discussed it again drunk.

Then that bastard Mohammed came along and screwed up the sanest decision-making system in history.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Back in the day, the Persians wouldn't take any decision unless they discussed it sober, then discussed it again drunk.

Then that bastard Mohammed came along and screwed up the sanest decision-making system in history.

Wasn't it the other way around? The discussed it drink and then reviewed it sober? Or maybe I'm thinking of Hemingway.

Maybe the problem is all those "New Canadian" buying their dam license.. it ain't the speeds.

Nevertheless, good go BC..

Back on the Trump bandwagon?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Don't forget to say "and some of them, I'm sure, are very nice people."

There are a lot of nice new immigrants to Canada.. my wife is one of them.. she is from Mexico.

There are always those looking for a short cut, or not willing to work as hard as the rest.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Where'd she buy her driver's license?

She did it the honest way.. don't be silly. Her dad was a trucker, and I have a CDL. She can driver better than most Canadians.. and for 20 years when we lived in Texas, I say most Americans too.

But driving here in Calgary or Vancouver.. you do take you life into your hands when you hit the road.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
She did it the honest way.. don't be silly. Her dad was a trucker, and I have a CDL. She can driver better than most Canadians.. and for 20 years when we lived in Texas, I say most Americans too.

But driving here in Calgary or Vancouver.. you do take you life into your hands when you hit the road.
Yeah, sure.

"Maybe the problem is all those "New Canadian" buying their dam license"

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Yeah, sure.

"Maybe the problem is all those "New Canadian" buying their dam license"

Oh fukk off. New Canadians are buying licenses.. I posted a link read it. It's a fact and a growing problem.

I don't just blame Immigrants, I also blame the greedy civil servants that are breaking the law.

Driver's licence scam busted: ICBC

Court documents allege Dragon Driving School owner David Chiu charged clients as much as $8,000 for a guaranteed licence – to show that road tests had been taken and passed, when they hadn't.

Thousands of 'illegal' Chinese motorists could be driving in Richmond

Nuff Said.. quit being a silly troll T-Bones

...and even a Truck Driving School.

Calgary driving school charged with fraud