BC's Carbon Tax A Success

tay
A carbon tax may be a controversial topic in the United States, but in one Canadian province, this eight-year-old policy has been such a success that on Wednesday more than 100 businesses said they support a tax increase.

In a letter addressed to Premier Christy Clark, who governs the province of British Columbia, more than 150 companies said they back a plan to increase the carbon tax by $10 — about $7.70 U.S. — per metric ton a year starting in July 2018, an idea the government-sponsored Climate Leadership Team unveiled earlier this year.

Since 2007 British Columbia has been setting greenhouse gas reduction targets based on findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the world’s most respected authority on the subject. Four years after introducing the first carbon tax in North America in 2008, British Columbia froze the tax rates at 2012 levels to allow other provinces to catch up. However, that freeze could be lifted under a new Climate Leadership Plan that could be approved this spring.

more

British Columbia's Carbon Tax Has Been So Successful That Businesses Want To Increase It | ThinkProgress (external - login to view)

taxslave
+2
Carbon tax is a scam. It unfairly targets rural residents that do not have access to NG or public transit but must travel long distances for necessities. But it does buy votes in the cities where the gullible live.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
On the upside, I imagine the companies tack on at least ten bucks extra for every ten bucks of carbon tax, and call it "passing on the cost to consumers." It's a great scam.

taxslave
+1
Best marketing gimick I ever saw. Make the unwashed feel good about paying a tax. Cause somehow they actually think this is helping the environment.

Tecumsehsbones
Best one I've seen since the airlines' "fuel surcharge," which somehow (surprise surprise!) is still in place.

smallandmighty
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Carbon tax is a scam. It unfairly targets rural residents that do not have access to NG or public transit but must travel long distances for necessities. But it does buy votes in the cities where the gullible live.

one never thought of this. It is something to consider. Also heard that Pony Boy wants to end wood burning stoves!!!
That would not work for these many people who live in outlying areas of BC that have no access to any other way to heat a home. Wood burning into the air is not hazardous. I agree about the gullible, but they live everywhere...even in the remote areas. Tree huggers..lol.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+5
#7  Top Rated Post
What a load of Liberal Government propaganda.

Success how exactly? I don't consider lining the pockets of special interest a success. I suppose they do, but I'm not seeing the advantage to environmental agendas other than sucking more money out the average citizens wallet.

Quote: Originally Posted by smallandmightyView Post

one never thought of this. It is something to consider. Also heard that Pony Boy wants to end wood burning stoves!!!
That would not work for these many people who live in outlying areas of BC that have no access to any other way to heat a home. Wood burning into the air is not hazardous. I agree about the gullible, but they live everywhere...even in the remote areas. Tree huggers..lol.

Wood Burning? There is no wood burning in BC or anywhere else, just ask Bar Sinister.
He can show you a graph and everything.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Well, it does make a change from Conservative Government propaganda.

Quote:

Success how exactly? I don't consider lining the pockets of special interest a success.

If you were a special interest, you would.

Quote:

I suppose they do, but I'm not seeing the advantage to environmental agendas other than sucking more money out the average citizens wallet.

Well, the less money they have, the less EEE-vil polluting technology they can buy and operate.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Well, it does make a change from Conservative Government propaganda.

British Columbia doesn't have a Conservative Party.

Tecumsehsbones

Why, that's terrible! Is there some way we can get them one?

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1

Why, that's terrible! Is there some way we can get them one?

Doubtful, most of the BC Lefties think that the Provincial Liberals are too right.

Tecumsehsbones

Doubtful, most of the BC Lefties think that the Provincial Liberals are too right.

Well, surely they have a few surly Old Stock Canadians. Maybe we can get them to form a party.

coldstream
+1
A job sapping burden on any industrial economy.. especially for a completely fabricated threat like AGW. The BC government is just as gullible and incompetent as that of the Federal Liberals. I honestly think this might be the last hurrah for Liberal Party.

They are all corroded and rotten with New Age sophistry (especially the idols of the Feminism, Homosexuality, radical environmentalism and other outgrowths of the Culture of Death) and are failing catastrophically in economic management in BC, Quebec, Ontario and Federally.
Last edited by coldstream; Apr 1st, 2016 at 01:58 PM..

Angstrom
This will be the least of our worries soon.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

A carbon tax may be a controversial topic in the United States, but in one Canadian province, this eight-year-old policy has been such a success that on Wednesday more than 100 businesses said they support a tax increase.
In a letter addressed to Premier Christy Clark, who governs the province of British Columbia, more than 150 companies said they back a plan to increase the carbon tax by $10 — about $7.70 U.S. — per metric ton a year starting in July 2018, an idea the government-sponsored Climate Leadership Team unveiled earlier this year.
Since 2007 British Columbia has been setting greenhouse gas reduction targets based on findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the world’s most respected authority on the subject. Four years after introducing the first carbon tax in North America in 2008, British Columbia froze the tax rates at 2012 levels to allow other provinces to catch up. However, that freeze could be lifted under a new Climate Leadership Plan that could be approved this spring.
more

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Of course. User-pay taxes usually do work better due to built-in incentive.

Common sense.

User-pay. You use more road too.

So what are stopping ruralites from congregating in small high-density towns? What? Y'all hate each other out there? Never heard of underarm deodorant?

Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

A job sapping burden on any industrial economy.. especially for a completely fabricated threat like AGW. The BC government is just as gullible and incompetent as that of the Federal Liberals. I honestly think this might be the last hurrah for Liberal Party.

They are all corroded and rotten with New Age sophistry (especially the idols of the Feminism, Homosexuality, radical environmentalism and other outgrowths of the Culture of Death) and are failing catastrophically in economic management in BC, Quebec, Ontario and Federally.

I support neither abortion nor gay marriage, but do support user-pay.

Even if we ignore global warming, what about road construction and maintenance? What about asthma care? Carbon tax works there.

Of course a cigarette tax can also go towards asthma care, but the principle of user oay is the same.

What, anyone who supports a cigarette tax is gay promotes abortion too now?

Ever heard of the non sequitur?

petros

Well, surely they have a few surly Old Stock Canadians. Maybe we can get them to form a party.

Nope. Very few of us out here. They are all "back East".

mentalfloss

That would be Christy Clark.

petros
Liberal Conservative?

Nice try.

JLM

Is it the tax that's the scam or is it the way it's being spent that is the scam? My philosophy says that polluters should pay a levy to be siphoned off to those who leave a small "footprint".

taxslave

Actually we do. But they are somewhat right of wally.

I expect they are a bit too far left for coldstream though.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Is it the tax that's the scam or is it the way it's being spent that is the scam? My philosophy says that polluters should pay a levy to be siphoned off to those who leave a small "footprint".

Both. Campbell brought it in to buy the green vote a couple of elections back. But rural areas have no options but oil because we do not have access to NG. Or public transit, which we subsidize for city folk with our increased carbon taxes. We must also travel long distances both to shop and take care of health concerns.

grumpydigger
+2
The carbon tax , goes directly into general revenue
has absolutely nothing to do with the environment or climate change

An absolute complete scam, it probably has funded the fake liberal leaders jet travel all around the world.

Kind of ironic isn't it.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Are you paying 30¢L in carbon tax like I am?

Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydiggerView Post

An absolute complete scam, it probably has funded the fake liberal leaders jet travel all around the world.

Kind of ironic isn't it.

BC is in deep sh-t without it.

coldstream
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

I support neither abortion nor gay marriage, but do support user-pay.

Even if we ignore global warming, what about road construction and maintenance? What about asthma care? Carbon tax works there.

Of course a cigarette tax can also go towards asthma care, but the principle of user oay is the same.

What, anyone who supports a cigarette tax is gay promotes abortion too now?

Ever heard of the non sequitur?

This really isn't User Pay scheme. This is a punitive tax on 'carbon criminals'. It is a tool for social engineering not road building.

I'm all for responsible environmental management, which involves a complex system of tradeoffs between economic necessity and ecological custodianship. But to confuse what is going on in radical environmentalism.. and its prime offensive weapon, the fraud of AGW.. would to misinterpret their intentions. They are driven by ideology, politics and selective economic interests and are viciously antagonistic to the human cause. They really care nothing about the environment, or the pseudo science of AGW, except as vehicle to impose a philosophical agenda.

As for 'User Pay' this is more often than not a euphemism to impose regressive taxation, as a shelter for the rich. This is a pillar of NeoCon economic theory, along with globalization, free trade, monetarism, deregulation, privatization and it is corrosive to economic equity and vitality. It all forms a nasty interconnected and cohesive whole.

In any case, I doubt you could draw a clear line from the Carbon Tax to road construction and maintenance.. it just goes into the general revenue fund.
Last edited by coldstream; Apr 2nd, 2016 at 02:23 PM..

Angstrom
+1

Best marketing gimick I ever saw. Make the unwashed feel good about paying a tax. Cause somehow they actually think this is helping the environment.

It's a feel good policy for the progressive guilt cult who feel guilty about the environment.

Retired_Can_Soldier
It's from a government page, which means its party propaganda.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Are you paying 30¢L in carbon tax like I am?

I kind of doubt it but have no way of knowing for sure what I pay. If I was to take a "stab in the dark" I might say a nickel!

smallandmighty

Success how exactly? I don't consider lining the pockets of special interest a success. I suppose they do, but I'm not seeing the advantage to environmental agendas other than sucking more money out the average citizens wallet.

Wood Burning? There is no wood burning in BC or anywhere else, just ask Bar Sinister.
He can show you a graph and everything.

Well he is wrong. Many here burn wood in their homes, and for many it is their only source of heat. I am burning wood right now in my wood stove, and I live in BC.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by smallandmightyView Post

Well he is wrong. Many here burn wood in their homes, and for many it is their only source of heat. I am burning wood right now in my wood stove, and I live in BC.

Environment murderer.

smallandmighty
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydiggerView Post

Kind of ironic isn't it.

I agree with this statement..Trudeau is living proof of a fool and tax payer money and spending like a fool..he is on a high right now and thinks he is superpower #1. When he falls, and he will, it is going to be a hard one...lol.

These enviromental issues and making everyone pay is a scam. Everyone thinks the native man is such a great enviromentalist, and loves the earth, but they are one of the biggest wasters to date. They over fish, and what they do not use they either sell, or just toss out and let it go to waste, yet politicians buy into their bull, their homes are an enviromental mess, I think before these enviro campaigners get their way, they should clean up their own backyard first.
The David Suzuki's of life are one of the biggest hypocrites around...they tell us to cut back meanwhile they fly their own planes, and I am sure they drive...wipe their butts etc. And until they stop using oil products they should shut their mouths. I am sure Trudeau and his bunch do not take transit, or even try to cut back as they suggest WE do.

tay
Revenue-neutral carbon tax is not a fairy tale

There is a conservative position on climate change whose chief opponents are other conservatives. It is to tax carbon, not on top of existing programs for reducing emissions, as those on the left would do, but as a replacement for them — and not on top of existing taxes but as a replacement for them. This is the proposal Michael Chong has put before the Conservative party, but the same approach has been suggested by a number of other prominent conservatives.

Nevertheless the idea has been heavily criticized by Chong’s rivals in the Conservative leadership race. Their objections range from the scientifically dubious (climate change isn’t human-caused) to the economically illiterate (prices don’t affect behaviour). But the crowd-pleaser is simply to dismiss the whole premise of the exercise: that any revenues raised would be given back in tax cuts, or in other words that it would be “revenue neutral.”

No less an authority than Kevin O’Leary denounces the idea as “B.S.” Andrew Scheer recites a convoluted story involving Santa Claus and the tooth fairy, while Steven Blaney is content with the logically unassailable “a tax is a tax is a tax.” All rely heavily on eye-rolling appeals to what “everybody knows,” time-honoured slogan of the clued-in and the wised-up. As in: everybody knows there’s no such thing as a revenue-neutral tax reform.

This would be at least conventional, if the politicians in question were in another party: if Conservatives were warning the public that Liberals could not be trusted to bring in one tax without cutting another. It’s somewhat bizarre to hear Conservatives say that of themselves. Surely it would be within the Conservatives’ power to decide whether such a tax were revenue neutral or not. The logic of their position is not only that Chong is lying, but that if he were elected leader, the party would be powerless to pursue any other course.

I can’t think they mean revenue neutrality is impossible: it’s a simple enough matter to cut taxes — simpler, and more popular, than imposing new ones. So instead they must mean it is unlikely. And the evidence for that, presumably, is that it has not been so in similar situations in the past. Why, remember when the GST was brought in — by the Tories, if memory serves — how it was supposed to be “revenue neutral.” How did that turn out, huh?

Andrew Coyne: Revenue-neutral carbon tax is not a fairy tale | National Post