Retirement and Moving to Vancouver Island

carolkretire

Aug 27, 2015
Is there a thread already on here talking about retirement? Also a thread on Moving to Vancouver Island? Thank you for any help.

carolkretire

Aug 27, 2015
Thanks. Been trying to find a forum where I could hear thoughts from others.

Most interested in Comox Valley/ Campbell River area.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
What information do you need? There are a few of us who live on the island.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Thanks. Been trying to find a forum where I could hear thoughts from others.

Most interested in Comox Valley/ Campbell River area.

I live in the comox valley, came here in l983, feel like I'm still on vacation, haven't taken the
ferry in a few years, don't even think about the mainland anymore.

population was quite small when we moved here, amazing how many people have arrived since then. we
are starting to get ready for our 4th 'Canadian tire', each one built bigger than the last.

we love it here, one can live whatever kind of lifestyle you desire, close to the ocean, or rivers, or mountains and lakes, take your pick. good bus service now too, when we came here there was no bus
service at all. the airport is close, one can fly to Calgary in an hour by westjet, or the little
planes to the mainland throughout the day.

lots of sports, and lots of shopping, but still not a big city.

we even have our very own 'glacier'.

carolkretire

Aug 27, 2015
Well, I guess for starters, if we were looking for Rural property to purchase, what would the areas be called? I know of Black Creek, but that is all. We are interested in looking outside of the towns where it might be more remote. How about Crime, is there any? Is the area being built up really quickly or are they trying to keep it a smaller town feel?
Thanks

Great information. So we are still undecided if we want to be near the Ocean or Mountains. It would be nice to have both! Would love to be on high bank to see the ocean and the mountains. I love the rain, so it sounds like Campbell River might be a good place for me. Have they started building on the new hospitals in Comox and Campbell River?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well, I guess for starters, if we were looking for Rural property to purchase, what would the areas be called? I know of Black Creek, but that is all. We are interested in looking outside of the towns where it might be more remote. How about Crime, is there any? Is the area being built up really quickly or are they trying to keep it a smaller town feel?
Thanks

there is a new 'up the hill' shopping area, which will probably end up very large, but the old town where
I live stays true to its style, great for walking.
black creek, merville, Cumberland, Royston, union bay, and deep bay, all outskirts either north or south
of Courtenay, and all nice little communities to live, and lots of rural areas for sure.

Cumberland is an interesting little historical town, a blast from the past, one feels like one has gone
back about 70 years or so, we like having breaky at the 'wandering moose' café in Cumberland, the café
is in the old post office from the past.
we lived in black creek for a few years, very rural, and very nice, lots of acreages and remote places.

don't know much about the crime, I would say not high, but of course every place has some crime.

carolkretire

Aug 27, 2015
Thank you so much. We are actually going to come over this weekend and take a look around at different areas. Hope you don't mind if I ask all these questions. How about the schools/college, do they have good reputations? When you mentioned those particular areas, is that where most of the farming community would be? We are thinking of possible a hobby farm.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Thank you so much. We are actually going to come over this weekend and take a look around at different areas. Hope you don't mind if I ask all these questions. How about the schools/college, do they have good reputations? When you mentioned those particular areas, is that where most of the farming community would be? We are thinking of possible a hobby farm.

black creek and merville and the tsolom area are small acreages and farms, some small farms west Courtenay, not many though.

north island college up the hill in Courtenay, quite central to most areas, and the new hospital
in Courtenay is being built as we speak, and also Campbell river.

3 good high schools in Courtenay and comox, as well as elemenmtary.