Kelowna woman calls on the city to remove rainbow crosswalk

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

A Kelowna woman is speaking out against recently painted rainbow sidewalks in the city's downtown and says she's willing to go all the way to the Supreme Court to have them removed.

Nancy Enns says she's angry the city spent taxpayer dollars to promote what she calls a "gay lifestyle" and has asked for them to be painted over white.

"I'm not supporting a gay lifestyle and I would hope this whole valley doesn't support it, so I guess were about to find out," Enns said.
"And to think the council would go ahead and spend taxpayer dollars thinking we do, how dare they."

Enns says she's also against the Okanagan Pride, which this year received $8,000 from the city as a festivals grant, but for her, it was the crosswalks that sent her over the edge.

"These are my taxpayer dollars, these are taxpayers that don't have a voice in this. This is something forced on us. This is something that you took it out of my pocket, now you crossed the line," Enns told AM 1150.

Enns says she's not concerned if people think she's promoting hate.

"There's a hate crime because they're not supporting my lifestyle. And I'll chose whatever that that will be, and maybe I'll choose that from day to day. I mean if you want to be ridiculous maybe we can be really ridiculous."

Enns says the city has "opened a can of worms" and if she has to, will take it all the way to Canada's top court.

AM 1150 - News Talk Sports :: Kelowna woman calls on the city to remove rainbow crosswalk :: Kelowna News - Article

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Because some thread posters are lazy....

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I don't follow her logic. She's less angry about the money spent on the gay pride festival than on the crisswalks, yet:

1. Money would have been needed to be spent to paint the crosswalks regardless if the design (not so the gay pride oarade), and

2. Whereas the money spent on the parade could only support gay pride, gay pride has no monopoly on the rainbow design. In princiole, a homophobe who happens to like the rainbow symbol could paint his driveway in a rainbow design. It's like associating the swastika with Naziism while ignoring Buddhists and Hindus, or France banning the hijacked in schools in the name of secularism while ignoring that some non-Muslims wear the hijacked for purely stylistic reasons. She's assuming gay pride has a copyright on the symbol.

So while she might win a case in the Supreme Court saying that funding the gay pride parade somehow violates her religious freedom as a taxpayer, I don't see that she'll have much of a case for the rainbow didewalk. Then again, the separate school system will likely make funding gay pride a moot point too. I don't see that she has any case at all.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A Kelowna woman is speaking out against recently painted rainbow sidewalks in the city's downtown and says she's willing to go all the way to the Supreme Court to have them removed.

Nancy Enns says she's angry the city spent taxpayer dollars to promote what she calls a "gay lifestyle" and has asked for them to be painted over white.

AM 1150 - News Talk Sports :: Kelowna woman calls on the city to remove rainbow crosswalk :: Kelowna News - Article

The frigging woman is a nut, if it bothers her she should just go to the next intersection.

Last edited: