Vancouver house sells for $567K over listed price

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A Vancouver real estate agent who has just sold a home for $567,000 over its published listing price says that underlisting is an accepted selling strategy in the real estate market.

"If the product's right, the timing's right and the inventory is right, it's the right strategy," Paul Eviston told CBC News.

Nevertheless, Eviston said, he would hesitate from using the term "underlisted" in the case of the home at 65 E 26th Ave., originally listed at $1.6 million, which sold for $2,167,000.

"I wouldn't call it underlisted," he said. "I would call it strategically listed to garner the interest level that we wanted to get the result that we got."

Sitting two blocks west of Main Street — both a physical and psychological divide — the home is in an area where prices often exceed $2 million, but the selling price was still a record high, Eviston said.

"It was the highest price per square foot ever achieved for an East Vancouver home," he said.

"We did some very significant marketing on that home. We did a lot of different things to get the buzz going on it."

The listing price attracted around eight interested buyers, Eviston said. That quickly dropped to three serious buyers when it became clear no one was going to secure the house at or near its asking price.

Eviston stands by his strategy on the property, and in the end, he said, it's the market that dictates price.

"We definitely felt that the value was somewhere between where we listed it and where we sold it," he said. "Pricing it where we did was a strategic position to take in the market, and [we felt] that the market would no doubt dictate what the value of the home was."

picture

Vancouver house sells for $567K over listed price - British Columbia - CBC News

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
brilliant strategy...multiple offers is the name of the game

I'd just rather live elsewhere for that kind of money, but obviously they didn't think that way...hope it is all that they want from it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I would have expected the first person to offer the listed price with no subjects to being the buyer. Seems to me that by not accepting the asking price the seller is leaving themselves open to a lawsuit.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I would have expected the first person to offer the listed price with no subjects to being the buyer. Seems to me that by not accepting the asking price the seller is leaving themselves open to a lawsuit.
General contract law says that an unmodified acceptance of an offer creates a contract.

Be interesting to see somebody take that to court.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
A Vancouver real estate agent who has just sold a home for $567,000 over its published listing price says that underlisting is an accepted selling strategy in the real estate market.

Vancouver house sells for $567K over listed price - British Columbia - CBC News

WOW!!

Can't wait till the real estate bubble hits Canada and all these stupid idiots holding onto mortgages and the banks. Homes are very over prices in Canada, it's ridiculous.

Canadian Real Estate Among World's Most Overvalued, The Economist Says

Canadian Housing Bubble

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
that's not the way real estate "law" works in Canada...

multiple offers are absolutely a part of selling your home and you can absolutely refuse any offer, it's your property...what you need when selling is a real estate agent who understands the law

I like a big front porch where you can store your old broken down appliances and sit with your hound dog . Houses need to have a big front porch.
you won't like my balcony then just room to bbq and for a few plants