Moving to Kelowna

View Poll Results: Where is the best place to live in BC?
Vancouver 0 0%
Kelowna 0 0%
Vernon 0 0%
Victoria 0 0%
Penticton 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

tamikasimome
#1
Hi there,

I'm looking at moving from Edmonton to Kelowna within the next year. From what I've seen of it, it looks like a beautiful place to live. Beaches, beautiful weather, mountain views..the list goes on. I've also been on many forums and heard many negative things about the crime rate, jobs, forest fires and expensive housing. Most of the forums I've read are from 2-5 years ago so I'm not sure how good/bad things are there.

I have tons of friends who live in Kelowna, Vernon, Vancouver and Victoria so I have many different opinions on it. Vancouver seems way too expensive for me and Victoria seems to have a more mature crowd there so that left me with Kelowna and Vernon. I come from a fairly large city so I'll be downsizing quite a bit but don't want to go too small town.

Are there any areas I should avoid? What is the crime like in Kelowna? Is it hard to find jobs?

I'm young (mid 20's) and this is a huge move for me so I'm trying to get as much information as possible. I'm so confused so anything will help!
 
petros
#2
Quote:

Are there any areas I should avoid? What is the crime like in Kelowna? Is it hard to find jobs?

Yes to all three.
 
damngrumpy
#3
Like locating anywhere it all depends on the skills you bring with you I live in Kelowna
its expensive, Housing the cost of living, fuel and entertainment. As for jobs, bring the
money you will need it. Jobs, real paying jobs are not growing on trees and unless you
have a particular skill and some actual experience you have a long road ahead of you.
Finding an affordable place to live is a problem for many but again it depends of your
circumstance and lifestyle. There are lots of activities here but again money is the main
issue.
I am an older person, a farmer actually and I tend to stay away from town as much as
possible. I would think the dream of living here could turn into a hardship unless you are
prepared to hold out for a job that pays and an opportunity to demonstrate your skills
what ever they are.
 
petros
+1
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

I would think the dream of living here could turn into a hardship unless you are prepared to hold out for a job that pays and an opportunity to demonstrate your skills what ever they are.

In other words, learn to cook meth or grow weed before you leave.
 
damngrumpy
#5
There will soon be a glut of that on the market too, more and more of these types are
coming here and setting up shop. Houses busted every week. I understand some of
the gangs are buying houses or have done so just to grow. A year or two we had a
place busted on the opposite side of the valley from us and it turned out to be a gang
facility right in an upscale family neighbourhood.
Don't get me wrong this is an expensive place to live, property values at seventy to
one hundred thousand and acre, without a house on it. Rents are also expensive and
its becoming a more transient population people come and go. Its a great place to live
if you find your place in the community.
 
petros
#6
Quote:


There will soon be a glut of that on the market too, more and more of these
types are
coming here and setting up shop. Houses busted every week. I
understand some of
the gangs are buying houses or have done so just to grow.
A year or two we had a
place busted on the opposite side of the valley from us and it turned out to be a gang
facility right in an upscale family
neighbourhood.

It's done here too. $3/4Million homes with weed growing in every square foot.
 

Similar Threads

24
Kelowna Keeps Holiday Spirit
by damngrumpy | Dec 29th, 2011
0
no new posts