Sun News Network on Bell

muffinhead

May 5, 2011
Hi, all. I hope you'll forgive a link, but if any of you or your family were Sun News viewers on Bell, you may have noticed the station is no longer available, and there is much controversy surrounding this. There is a Facebook group with more information, for anyone interested: Login | Facebook

Have a wonderful day. :)

Ooops...sorry. Well, I guess I'm not able to add links, anyway, so no need to worry. Anyway, for anyone interested, the group is called 'Tell Bell to Bring Sun News Network' back. We've gone from one to 225 members in less than 24 hours, which isn't bad, I guess? :)

Oops...sorry. Wasn't able to add a link, anyway...lol. But for anyone interested, the group is called Tell Bell to Bring Sun News Network Back. All views welcomed. :)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Why would I want to tell Bell to bring Sun TV back. Sun TV wants the same kind of money that CBC and CTV get and yet only have less than 5 percent of the prime time audience. I would suggest that Sun TV show me that they are worth as much before they start demanding as much.

As for Bell, if I don't like the choices they offer, I'm free to switch to Star Choice.

I wonder if this thread is just spam created by a Sun TV employee.

muffinhead

May 5, 2011
First of all, and no offense (none taken by me), that's absolutely and simply not true. What SNN is asking for is not only FAR less than that paid to Bell's own cross-Canada network stations, but also less than one-market *local* stations. And, still, no deal. Basically, Bell wants the signal for free, a cost they've enjoyed since the launch. Otherwise, no deal. It's a red herring, really. It smacks of shutting down competition and alternate voices, which is never fair, IMO, regardless of your political stripe.

Secondly, no, this is not spam, and not created by a Sun employee. Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm actually going out on a limb, here, and have actually made my living for ten years with a media outlet in direct competition with the Sun chain. It's just about fairness. If you have any doubts whatsoever about the above, you are absolute free to visit the group, befriend me on Facebook, find out who I am, send me a message, and draw your conclusions from there.

And a big P.S., by the way, CBC not only gets its money from that source, plus advertising revenue, but also from YOU and ME, the taxpayers.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Is Bell required to carry Sun News?

What are the carriage fee's for a comparable channel?

Bell carries Rogers and Shaw owned channels so it doesn't really seem to be a situation of shutting down the competition.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Sun news is an entertainment outlet at best it is not taken seriously as a news station.
The operation is nothing more than fox north. I am quite pleased to see its limited to a
small region of the country, we have three networks now, Global which is on the right
but its credible, CTV which is slightly on the right but not always and the CBC which is
a credible station, slightly more liberal, on some things but gives the right opinion as well.
We are a diverse country with many opinions. The Sun Network is a station that does
not fit in, and most Canadians see right through it, like most people understand that FOX
News doesn't let the facts get in the way of their agenda either.

muffinhead

May 5, 2011
It was in the contract, yes. As I said, the signal was carried for free, and then yanked. Which is why we started this group. As I said, I have no personal interest nor conflicts whatsoever. I am in another region, able to watch Sun News, have never worked for Sun News. It was on behalf of those who were enjoying the channel, but then had it yanked without explantation. If you'd like to weigh in, or even hear some differing opinions, I invite you to check out the site.

muffinhead

May 5, 2011
I frequently find that true, sadly. But to address damngrumpy up there, this is not an issue of politics or personal preference, IMO. Heck, I don't care what you watch. It's about fairness, about choice, about access, about not having yet another conglomorporation grab at yet another monopoly. Because I think we've all been there before.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are likely a couple of reasons, listener ship is one. If the station does not
get traction, it goes. It has to gain popularity in the ratings. All media lives and
dies by the ratings. If you noticed even stations that carried the Layton story
immediately reported, "according to Sun Media" that means we will run it for a
couple of cycles but we question the content and it is not one of our own stories.
That is media terms is apologizing for running it. They feel obligated to recognize
that people are asking a few questions but is it news? As it turns out it was not
much of a story and others had covered it years before. It wasn't news it was
opportunism.
Now that the election is over some of the cable networks are questioning it value
in the Canadian Market Place. Anyway good luck, I am quite pleased the station is
longer taken seriously as in my opinion it was an embarrassment just like Fox News
is.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I frequently find that true, sadly. But to address damngrumpy up there, this is not an issue of politics or personal preference, IMO. Heck, I don't care what you watch. It's about fairness, about choice, about access, about not having yet another conglomorporation grab at yet another monopoly. Because I think we've all been there before.

Bell is a privately owned company and can choose whichever content they want to have available to their customers.

Fair? Find a different provider if you find their business practice so distasteful...if you want to avoid this so called conglomorporation, then put your money where your mouth is...

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Wonder if Bell got a lot of calls from the left after the Cons won???

Timing?????

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Wonder if Bell got a lot of calls from the left after the Cons won???

Timing?????

Maybe the liberals did. Considering the NDP actually went up with the cons because the FPTP system, I highly doubt they'd have any sour grapes about their position.

One day I'll learn to stop taking the bait.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm sure it's just sour grapes over how intelligent and informative those shows are.