Sun TV Shows It's not a Real News Station

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So I turned on the TV last night and the set was tuned to one of the CBC stations (the last thing I watched was a hockey game). The news had interrupted regular programming and they were talking about Osama being killed. I started channel surfing and what did I find?

CTV Newsnet - Osama.

CBC Newsworld - Osama.

CNN - Osama.

Faux News - Osama.

SunTV - The royal wedding.

Yup, while every other news channel switched immediately to the bin Laden story, SunTV stayed with there riveting coverage of the royal wedding that happened two days before. It wasn't until Obama spoke that they broke away from their looping video of Elton John and David Beckham to focus on this story. Too funny.

It's pretty clear that Sun TV is not a "news" channel in any real sense.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Haha. Remember 9/11? CBC radio continued with Sheila Rogers interviewing someone about a book or something, for an hour or so, while interrupting with the odd news item that apparently a plane had hit a building in New York.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Haha. Remember 9/11? CBC radio continued with Sheila Rogers interviewing someone about a book or something, for an hour or so, while interrupting with the odd news item that apparently a plane had hit a building in New York.

Fortunately for CBC radio, it doesn't try to label itself as "news" radio. Maybe Sun TV should follow CBC radios lead. Interviewing writers seems to be more SunTV's speed.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Channel 177 on Shaw (my provider) promotes itself as "Canada's network of news, politics and opinions".

To any normal person that would mean that they would feature roughly equal amounts of time to news, politics and opinions. To an abnormal person it would mean that if they schedule their presentations of news, politics and opinions differently from CBC, they are fradulent.

Well, having been on this Forum for a long time I have yet to find a single poster who would consider Cannuck normal. His strongest attribute has always been jumping to premature conclusions.

For the record, I turned the TV on last night at 11:45 CT and found that Channel 177 was reporting on Osama bin Laden's death.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Has CBC Newsworld stopped showing the Antiques Roadshow?

They probably would have if it was on when the news broke about Osama. I'm thinking that they probably have different priorities than Sun TV. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing. I'm sure folks like Jack were absolutely enthralled by Mr and Mrs Beckham. You have to play to your audience.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I find it somewhat amusing that the only defense of Sun TV's questionable choices is to attack the CBC. I guess that pretty much says it all.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I find it somewhat amusing that the only defense of Sun TV's questionable choices is to attack the CBC. I guess that pretty much says it all.

And with the Cons winning....this thread just makes you..........

...........>>>>>>

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
What does the Conservatives winning the election have to do with Sun TV staying with royal wedding coverage when the news breaks that Osama takes a bullet. Like I alluded to before. Sun TV fans can't actually defend Sun TV's pisspoor performance on this one so they have to try and deflect criticism onto something else.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What does the Conservatives winning the election have to do with Sun TV staying with royal wedding coverage when the news breaks that Osama takes a bullet. Like I alluded to before. Sun TV fans can't actually defend Sun TV's pisspoor performance on this one so they have to try and deflect criticism onto something else.

My point was that SunTV was obviously following the (high) standard set by the CBC. I wasn't criticizing the CBC, I worship at the altar of the Mother Corp. I think you should be pleased that Sun likes the same standards of journalism.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
My point was that SunTV was obviously following the (high) standard set by the CBC. I wasn't criticizing the CBC, I worship at the altar of the Mother Corp. I think you should be pleased that Sun likes the same standards of journalism.

Nope, the CBC had full coverage the moment the story broke. Your point about CBC Radio was irrelevant as they don't consider themselve "News Radio". You are failing miserably at whatever point you are trying to make. Just accept the fact that Sun TV is nothing more than a "newsier" version of E Talk Daily and then we can all move along to another thread.

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Nope, the CBC had full coverage the moment the story broke. Your point about CBC Radio was irrelevant as they don't consider themselve "News Radio". You are failing miserably at whatever point you are trying to make. Just accept the fact that Sun TV is nothing more than a "newsier" version of E Talk Daily and then we can all move along to another thread.

Feel free to move along any time you'd like.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
And with the Cons winning....this thread just makes you..........

...........>>>>>>

The funny thing is that this attitude is what made the NDP the official opposition, lol.

You can expect the media to continue riding that orange wave the next five years - which is an appropriate number considering how happy they should be to get in only five questions for Harper.

But I guess this is all conjecture considering the real losers in ratings have been Sun TV. :p

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Now, what all you lefties fail to realise in your gloating over their slow begining is just that......that station just started, Hell, It was on almost a week before I noticed it was on and I had been waiting for it.
News stations don't start of in first place....it takes a while..also to get their act together.
So all your sour grappes and Naah naah naahs are just that.....so.....carry on children

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That's a fair point. I'm sure they'll eventually be first in line with hard hitting reporting and the most unbiased viewpoint and you will enforce just the same, right DaSleeper?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm sure they'll eventually be first in line with hard hitting reporting and the most unbiased viewpoint and you will enforce just the same, right DaSleeper?

Well DaS? Care to put your media gods on the line?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Now, what all you lefties fail to realise in your gloating over their slow begining is just that.

Ummm...this thread wasn't started because of their slow start. If you recall, you seem to be one of the few that feels ratings for news channels is important. My belief was (and is) that news channels are becoming irrelevant as the younger generations are relying on them less and less. I won't be surprised when Sun TV takes over as #1 in Canada. Like it or not there are more and more people that care more about the royal wedding than care about a big news story. Sun TV gets that and are willing to play to people like you. I think it's marketing genius though I'm sure it must be a bit embarrassing for you to admit that (not that there is anything wrong will going gaga over the royals).