Money for nuthin,banned in Canada

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Stupid on the loose

Please join me in contacting these people with your email and let's stop the international embarrassment.

Ronald I. Cohen – National Chair
ron.cohen@cbsc.ca

John MacNab – Executive Director
jmacnab@cbsc.ca

Teisha Gaylard – Director of Policy
tgaylard@cbsc.ca

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has ruled that Dire Straits' 1980s hit Money for Nothing is too offensive for Canadian radio.

The ruling, released Wednesday, was in response to a complaint against St. John's radio station CHOZ-FM. The listener complained that the word faggot – which appears three times in the song is "extremely offensive" to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

The council ruled that the song contravenes its ethics code which states: "broadcasters shall ensure that their programming contains no abusive or unduly discriminatory material or comment which is based on matters of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability.":

It ruled that "faggot," when used to describe a homosexual, is "even if entirely or marginally acceptable in earlier days, is no longer so."

For the record! YouTube - Dire Straits - Money For Nothing + lyrics

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Re: Stupid on the loose

I don't know either. I'm of two minds on it.

On the one hand I don't want to curb free speech but on the other I don't want to have a word played out on the radio that many find derogatory.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I see no reason not to censor the word out on typical air play (or not play the song). But, I likewise see no reason to censor it out in sales as it is a piece of art history.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

I see no reason not to censor the word out on typical air play (or not play the song). But, I likewise see no reason to censor it out in sales as it is a piece of art history.

I don't think they are banning the song for sale...just radio play.

rooibos

Time Out
Jan 5, 2011

censor the word out, just like you would any other 'sensitive' word.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

We have at least two out gay men on here. It would be nice to hear from them about how offensive the word is in the context of this song. Obviously nobody wants to be referred to by any derogatory term but in the artistic context I think there is a difference.

Besides. It is not stated whether the 'little faggot with the ear ring and makeup' is indeed gay or not. He could just be a little faggot and not gay.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Considering the song is about Motley Crue and my beloved Nikki Sixx, I say BANNED!!!!!! :lol:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Really? One person make a complaint and it's banned for the rest of the country?
Do you know what that means? Here is the ruling from the CBSC.

CAB Equitable Portrayal Code, Clause 2 – Human Rights

Recognizing that every person has the right to the full enjoyment of certain fundamental rights and freedoms, broadcasters shall ensure that their programming contains no abusive or unduly discriminatory material or comment which is based on matters of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability.

CAB Equitable Portrayal Code, Clause 7 – Degrading Material

Broadcasters shall avoid the airing of degrading material, whether reflected in words, sounds, images or by other means, which is based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability.

CBSC Decision*| CHOZ-FM re the song “Money for Nothing” by Dire Straits

So the Internet being a medium for broadcasting makes CC for example a broadcaster. So what does that mean for what can and can't be posted, words, sounds, images or other means especially where the term degrade is used?

I don't think they are banning the song for sale...just radio play.

No they are saying that the word faggot for example can't be broadcast in any means. Not just radio.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I gather that nobody on the CBSC actually understands the song, but that's no surprise.

Money for nothin and my chicks for free.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

I gather that nobody on the CBSC actually understands the song, but that's no surprise.

Money for nothin and my chicks for free.

Exactly and it would seem a good number of people here. I am saddened by that.

Literally I expect that if some took out a nice old car all cleaned up and restored to mint condition, and the three kids on the corner hollered out sick ride dude, they would stop the car and immediately investigate the car from top to bottom to find out just what this mysterious illness that has according to eye witnesses, affected their car. :roll: