Katie Perry using her looks and wild outfits to get attention

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
So, read this.. please :)

Some artists impress us with their pipes. Others impress us with their stellar performances. But then there are those singers that don't need to do any of that and they'll still drive crowds wild.

Enter Katy Perry. Sure her tunes are catchy, (who didn't want to blow their brains out when they couldn't get 'I Kissed a Girl' out of their heads), but honestly people, if the sound on your computer went out at work, you'd still watch Perry's new Candy Land-themed video for 'California Gurls' (see above). And there are two great reasons why.

That said, take a look at Miss Perry's greatest, er, hits ...

BY JOANNA SLOAME

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What I liked was her criticism of Lady Gaga's 'blasphemy', and then she does the breasts-shooting thing?

Wow. If only she had the talent Gaga has.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I was going to say the same thing, TenPenny.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a video shoot that Lady Gaga passed on, and Perry got seconds lol.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Katie Perry can't sing worth a hill of beans. I saw her sing live on some awards show......she looked good but she sounded like someone was beating a dog with a cat.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I actually appreciate her sound.

It is a bit telling, though, that she seems unable to rely on her talent alone to invite the masses to listen; even with her latest song, she relied on featuring someone, and she’s been featured by both Timbaland and 3Oh!3. It’s too bad that she’s this insecure about her sound; I thought that both “Thinking of You” and “Hot and Cold” were really great!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What I liked was her criticism of Lady Gaga's 'blasphemy', and then she does the breasts-shooting thing?

Wow. If only she had the talent Gaga has.

just to split hairs... what's sacriligious about the gun bra deal? (maybe I should watch Katie's vid I suppose, but I'll just ask instead).

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Not having ever heard of Katy Perry I decided to have a look. Went to Youtube and found the song. I found it bland and uninspired, but fairly typical of the music fodder that is put out by most "artists" today. As for using her looks to attract an audience since when was that unusual among female singers?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I don't watch videos. Some of her tunes are fine, I can pass on ever hearing "I Kissed A Girl" again, though.
After my youngest daughter came home from school with bright pink hair on her pretty lil 13 year old head, seeing Madonna wearing her outerwear as undies and undies as outerwear, some rock stars with so many tats and piercings that spotting skin on the is difficult, seeing Keith Richards and realising he's actually still alive, etc. I don't care what they look like.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
just to split hairs... what's sacriligious about the gun bra deal? (maybe I should watch Katie's vid I suppose, but I'll just ask instead).

Nothing sacriligious at all. I was just struck by the silliness of worry about 'blasphemy' while you flaunt your breasts all over everything.