Telus TV bumping ABC for CTV

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay, so, not long after getting our Telus TV, we realized that US stations would have their programming bumped by Canadian stations if they were carrying the same show. Handy right? You see the show at the time you want, Canadian advertisers still support Canadian channels, win win. But tonight frigging Telus actually bumped ABC for CTV, with completely different programming! GGGGgggggrrrrrr. So, click on ABC to watch Modern Family, and instead you're watching a lame ass reality show on CTV. How annoying.

Anyway, rant done... does anyone else's tv providers do this?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I don't think this is an issue specifically with Telus, rather CTV. CTV owns the Canadian rights to ABC programming and is allowed to swap US commercials for Canadian & swap programming at will.

Generally speaking, the Broadcasters ( Telus TV, Bell, Rogers etc) deliver the feed as they receive it from the source (CTV, CBC etc).

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think all cable companies do that, if the same shows are on a us and canadian network at the same time, they use the canadian feed for both. It's to protect the advertisers.

And it also means that sometimes, the technicians fall asleep at the switch, and/or mess up, and do exactly what you experienced.

This is one reason why we never get the US ads during the SuperBowl, for example.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Simultaneous substitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Simultaneous substitution (known also as simsubbing or signal substitution[1]) is a practice mandated by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) requiring Canadian cable, direct broadcast satellite and multichannel multipoint distribution service television distribution companies to substitute the 'signal of a foreign or non-local television station with the signal of a local or regional over-the-air station when the two stations are airing identical programming simultaneously. Although the policy officially applies to any foreign signal which is carrying programming that a Canadian station is airing in simulcast, in actual practice such programming is virtually always of American origin."

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sasktel offers "time shift' options so you can better schedule what you want to see.

CTV may have bumped your program because of regional marketing or the program is on CTV at another day or time.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
yeah, I haven't seen a lot of Brazilian simulcasting... lol.

It's just so damn frustrating when it's such an obvious thing. CTV's programming guide didn't show them as playing what ABC was playing, why swap the two? It's not like it's an easy mistake to make, a one hour reality show with a 5 word long title, versus half hour sitcoms with two word titles. Come on folks.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
yeah, I haven't seen a lot of Brazilian simulcasting... lol.

It's just so damn frustrating when it's such an obvious thing. CTV's programming guide didn't show them as playing what ABC was playing, why swap the two? It's not like it's an easy mistake to make, a one hour reality show with a 5 word long title, versus half hour sitcoms with two word titles. Come on folks.

Karrie, sorry to rain on your parade but there wasn't a new episode of Modern Family on last night.
http://epguides.com/ModernFamily/

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
When did SYTYCD become a suitable replacement for anything. I HATE THAT SHOW!!!

I met this guy I was kind of interested in and he said that's one of the only programs he watches.....buhbye!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We have satellite. We aren't impressed with it because what we want to watch and what the company thinks we want to watch are two different things. Besides that we have "packages". A package is 5 or 6 channels. So if you want to watch recurring episodes of something on channel "FGH" you have to have the package that contains "FGH" channel regardless of whether you watch anything on any of the other 4 or 5 channels. So much for "customer service"

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
|I know but from what I could see it was new to me, and even if I HAD seen it 10 times, would still be preferable to 'So you think you can dance'. *pout*

anything is better then that, I'm rather fond of Modern Family, I usually watch them on ctv.ca though

If you use a torrent program you can find all the Modern Family you wish to watch here: EZTV - TV Torrents Online

That's one of my favourite sites. :p

Reactions: petros

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
I think all cable companies do that, if the same shows are on a us and canadian network at the same time, they use the canadian feed for both. It's to protect the advertisers.

And it also means that sometimes, the technicians fall asleep at the switch, and/or mess up, and do exactly what you experienced.

This is one reason why we never get the US ads during the SuperBowl, for example.

you don't, but I sure do!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
anything is better then that, I'm rather fond of Modern Family, I usually watch them on ctv.ca though

That's one of my favourite sites. :p

Modern Family, and The Middle are two of my fave new shows. Especially enjoyable since they are pretty kid friendly.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I don't seem to have that problem with satellite TV (BellXpressvu). And I am not a big fan of Bell - I really hate all of those packages that force you to buy channels you don't want along with those that you do.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't seem to have that problem with satellite TV (BellXpressvu). And I am not a big fan of Bell - I really hate all of those packages that force you to buy channels you don't want along with those that you do.

well, I heard from someone who works for Bell, and they say CTV does the same thing on all service providers, so, had you been trying to watch the same show I was trying to watch last night, you'd have likely encountered the same frustration.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
well, I heard from someone who works for Bell, and they say CTV does the same thing on all service providers, so, had you been trying to watch the same show I was trying to watch last night, you'd have likely encountered the same frustration.

Have you seen Parks and Rec? It's a comedy as well, if you like Modern Family you would probably like it as well.